RTA Governance

Do you have a source for that number?

Yes,in Crain Chicago Business

Given that, Metropolis 2020 CEO George Ranney, who helped create the RTA three decades ago, wants to merge it into CMAP, hoping that would empower the body to start making the kinds of tough priority decisions that RTA and, until recently CMAP and its predecessor agencies, rarely made. He has a powerful ally in the kill-RTA campaign: Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who appears to think that the CTA could do a lot better on its own and covets the $16 million RTA spends each year on its salaries.

Yes,in Crain Chicago Business

Given that, Metropolis 2020 CEO George Ranney, who helped create the RTA three decades ago, wants to merge it into CMAP, hoping that would empower the body to start making the kinds of tough priority decisions that RTA and, until recently CMAP and its predecessor agencies, rarely made. He has a powerful ally in the kill-RTA campaign: Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who appears to think that the CTA could do a lot better on its own and covets the $16 million RTA spends each year on its salaries.

O.K.

Apparently someone would still have to collect and distribute the sales tax, but I'm sure that's a small bit of the $16 million, and that the RTA is otherwise useless.

I would be more interested in what could be saved by eliminating the bureaucracy of the 3 service boards, in excess of the directors' pay of about $700K (30 some directors, getting $15K to $25K each, according to the RTA Act). Wouldn't need 2 bus planning departments, 3 purchasing departments, etc.

In your opinions, would it make sense to disembowel the RTA and have everything (including funding dispersements) come through CMAP? Is there an alternate group that you would take the reins?

My view is to dismantle the whole thing and have one structure for all regional transit functions, with a properly apportioned board and competent management.

The problem is that CMAP is there only because Section 5303* requires it to get any federal funding. I suppose that something doesn't get federal funding if it doesn't get past the CMAP screen, but as the Gray Line amply proves, CMAP does not have the authority to implement anything.

There may be a bit of duplication in that something like a JARC grant has to go through RTA and then the service board. However, I doubt that that's the crux of the problem.

But, in essence, I don't see replacing one ineffective agency with another.

BTW: I stated in the comments to the CTA Tattler that Emanuel may be trying to foment a crisis along the lines of those suggesting that the RTA should be abolished, but since it takes 12 votes to pass anything of substance in the RTA, there is no way he can get the votes to force things through there, like he does elsewhere where the board is under his thumb.

___

*Prior version, but the new one isn't different in this regard.

The current standoff seems to have been settled.

What might be of interest is that while the rationales for the breakdowns seem incomprehensible, the RTA Committee report on this (to which the Sun-Times article linked), said:

CTA carries 83% of the region's passenger trips, but Metra carries each passenger longer distances. Pace provides the greatest number of route miles ... These services complement each other ... The proportion of total funding received by each of the Service Boards in comparison to the service provided represents a balance ... CTA has experienced a modestly increasing share of the pie...

That report also noted that recovery of the sales tax was better in the city. Since 100% of the "old money" collected in the city goes to the CTA, that also reinforces that it is proportionately better off.

I'm pretty sure that Carole Brown doesn't read this, nor read the comments to her blog, but I would suggest:

Get off the tired and deceptive complaints that CTA provides 82% of the rides, but the funding formula is unfair.

I was reading in the Daily Herald The cta is getting a extra 15 million and Metra 7 million . It didn't say what projects they will be use for.

If you can figure out the details, click on the link I provided above under RTA Report (repeated here).*

Undoubtedly, though, most of this is operating (at least the CTA's cut of discretionary funds). And CTA is crying deficit again, according to that report.

____

*As I have frequently said, use the primary source, when available.

• 4 months later...

Mike Payne said:

"What does this mean: http://www.senatedem...rove-efficiency This is exactly what they are N O T doing."

There is a Daily Herald article that sort of says nothing, other than the directors wouldn't be paid.

More to the point I made was at the bottom:

"Why not just offer a bill to combine the RTA, CTA, Metra and Pace? [The reporter] naively asked.

That would be too logical, experts say. In other words, trying to amalgamate the four transit agencies would launch a political war between the city and suburbs for which no one has the stomach."

Also, Link seems to have forgotten that CATS and NIPC were combined to form CMAP, so transit and other planning were supposedly combined, except there is no planning in this region.

• 1 month later...

The Pace March minutes had a resolution on interagency fare policy, and basically why there won't be more interagency fare cooperation.

Of course, the service boards rested on their statutory right to set fare levels.

The policy is:

"- Interagency fares products should be convenient for customers to purchase and use;
- New interagency passes and transfer fares should only be offered if the service boards that accept the products mutually agree that ridership and/or revenue increases and/or reduction in operating expenses will result; and
- Interagency fare revenue should be allocated based on the services consumed on each agency, or by a substitute measure, in accordance with allocation formulas and methodologies mutually agreed to by each service board that accepts the interagency fare produce, as applicable."

Is interagency fare produce available in the food desert? :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Bill Daley was just on the radio, indicating that the RTA should be abolished, except for bonding and auditing, since "why would you spend $33 million for a bureaucracy that does not provide one ride."

As expected, he also called for the Metra board to resign.

Similar story in a Sun-Times blog.

Probably not the solution, as the Sun-Times says that Daley consulted with Claypool first. But, apparently from that article, each of the bureaucrats are only out to protect their turf, including Gates.

If Daley has to consult with Claypool.It will be another case of the blind leading the blind.

I don't think that Daley had to consult with Claypool, except maybe to the extent that Claypool feels that the RTA is a hindrance to his piling up more debt on the CTA. Remember, Claypool released a budget a month late, with a timeline that the RTA was to pass it in one day, but it didn't, and called him in.

The reason I cited this was in connection with my point that given the 51 bureaucrats among the 4 boards and executive directors, the only obvious pattern is protecting their own jobs. Gates replied to the Sun-Times, but Daley appears ready to protect the CTA patronage machine that his brother created (his father wasn't so bad in that regard, and recognized the need for professional leadership).

I don't think that Daley had to consult with Claypool, except maybe to the extent that Claypool feels that the RTA is a hindrance to his piling up more debt on the CTA. Remember, Claypool released a budget a month late, with a timeline that the RTA was to pass it in one day, but it didn't, and called him in.

The reason I cited this was in connection with my point that given the 51 bureaucrats among the 4 boards and executive directors, the only obvious pattern is protecting their own jobs. Gates replied to the Sun-Times, but Daley appears ready to protect the CTA patronage machine that his brother created (his father wasn't so bad in that regard, and recognized the need for professional leadership).

The real world wants to trim waste.But,with the College Clowns in Springfield i don't see this happeing. :angry:

Other example of state waste 71 million for a airport that the Airlines don't want that Quinn sign.

The real world wants to trim waste.But,with the College Clowns in Springfield i don't see this happeing. :angry:

Other example of state waste 71 million for a airport that the Airlines don't want that Quinn sign.

That too, plus the report in the Tribune that the Auditor General found that the Illinois Port District was a cesspool of mismanagement and a similar political do nothing board. Rahm's lackeys' response there was "we'll privatize it."

I don't know where Quinn gets the $71 million, but the partially told story was that "this settled that IDOT gets control of the airport." Translation: Jesse Jackson Jr. and his Abe Lincoln Airport Authority isn't around any more to claim ownership it didn't have, since he's going to Club Fed. Update: The Tribune article came out and said it.

That too, plus the report in the Tribune that the Auditor General found that the Illinois Port District was a cesspool of mismanagement and a similar political do nothing board. Rahm's lackeys' response there was "we'll privatize it."

I don't know where Quinn gets the $71 million, but the partially told story was that "this settled that IDOT gets control of the airport." Translation: Jesse Jackson Jr. and his Abe Lincoln Airport Authority isn't around any more to claim ownership it didn't have, since he's going to Club Fed. Update: The Tribune article came out and said it.

If there was a Wall Of Shame for wasted money the 71 million would be it.You think the College Clowns would have learn after the amount of money wasted on Block 37.

Not to get too OT, but I guess it doesn't matter what party label one chooses to wear, but if Illinois or Chicago is attached to it, there's also corruption, sham, and/or wasted money involved.

I never ever agreed with JJJ on the need or viability of a Peotone Airport, especially when it would be cheaper to help expand an existing airport in Gary, which is closer to Chicago than Peotone. Now IDOT will now become another poliical cesspool to build an airport that will become just like MidAmerica airport in downstate Illinois, near ST. Louis.

• Upvote 3

The Tribune Editorial Board figured out what I said a couple of years ago--the 47 members on the 4 transit boards are all about patronage.

However, the Editorial Board didn't come up with a way, really, to get the politicians to cut their perk. No mention of the CTA board, except, perhaps, 7 included in the 47.

The Tribune Editorial Board figured out what I said a couple of years ago--the 47 members on the 4 transit boards are all about patronage.

However, the Editorial Board didn't come up with a way, really, to get the politicians to cut their perk. No mention of the CTA board, except, perhaps, 7 included in the 47.

Hopefully,voters will get rid of all these College Clowns.If a US Attorney can found there hands if the cookie jar and stop then from getting a pension.

Hopefully,voters will get rid of all these College Clowns.If a US Attorney can found there hands if the cookie jar and stop then from getting a pension.

I suggest you read the column on Tom Cross, which shows what a mess the Republicans are at being any opposition. Not that they would have had any chance with the way the legislature was gerrymandered in 2001 and 2011. Update: Take into account that Metra at least used to be Republican patronage, and what John Kass says about the combine, including that O'Halloran reported only voted once in a Republican primary.

The editorial I cited above indicates that there isn't going to be much on which to base crimes, especially if Madigan establishes "I only asked, not made threats."

I suggest you read the column on Tom Cross, which shows what a mess the Republicans are at being any opposition. Not that they would have had any chance with the way the legislature was gerrymandered in 2001 and 2011. Update: Take into account that Metra at least used to be Republican patronage, and what John Kass says about the combine, including that O'Halloran reported only voted once in a Republican primary.

The editorial I cited above indicates that there isn't going to be much on which to base crimes, especially if Madigan establishes "I only asked, not made threats."

While the Republician Party is weak.There is usually a bunch of unknowns on the ballot.While Madigan might not have commited a crime.The question is he is in his 70's does he walk away from it by retireing ? I don't think he can retire on a high note.Especially,with the state money problems and the Metra mess.

While the Republician Party is weak.There is usually a bunch of unknowns on the ballot.While Madigan might not have commited a crime.The question is he is in his 70's does he walk away from it by retireing ? I don't think he can retire on a high note.Especially,with the state money problems and the Metra mess.

I've been asking elsewhere about natural causes.

Mayor Daley said (in connection with George Ryan being convicted) something about being corrupted by money or power. Daley was certainly power; Madigan may be both.

But the real question is whether any Illinois politician wants to give up patronage. The only thing that was said about these boards in the past 10 years is that the Strogers wanted an appointment. John sued unsuccessfully to get one; Todd got one through the legislature to Metra and RTA, in return for a couple of the collar counties getting appointments instead of sharing appointees.