800-series DE40LF - Updates & Retirements

theraven

• 6 years later...

In know I’m a bit late on this thread, as of December 2019 all buses have  officially been retired from service marking the end of the DE40LF era. 

#800 Retired in July 2017 

#801 withdrawn from service late 2014, sold to Paramount Studios on May 25th, 2016 

#802 Retired in April 2015 

#803 Retired in June 2017 

#804 Retired in December 2019 

#805 Retired in June 2016 

#806 Retired in June 2017 

#807 Retired in 2016 

#808 Retired in 2016 

#809 Retired in April 2015

1E557C7C-A00A-48D9-BD7D-BD43F1F6A579.png

8E58EA9F-5A8A-49AD-92E4-0839239C641F.png

Edited by Bus1883

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 8:32 PM, Bus1883 said:

In know I’m a bit late on this thread, as of December 2019 all buses have  officially been retired from service marking the end of the DE40LF era. 

#800 Retired in July 2017 

#801 withdrawn from service late 2014, sold to Paramount Studios on May 25th, 2016 

#802 Retired in April 2015 

#803 Retired in June 2017 

#804 Retired in December 2019 

#805 Retired in June 2016 

#806 Retired in June 2017 

#807 Retired in 2016 

#808 Retired in 2016 

#809 Retired in April 2015

1E557C7C-A00A-48D9-BD7D-BD43F1F6A579.png

8E58EA9F-5A8A-49AD-92E4-0839239C641F.png

It's already been three years since the last one was officially pulled from service? For some reason it's felt like it's been less time than that has passed since the 800s were all retired.

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

It's already been three years since the last one was officially pulled from service? For some reason it's felt like it's been less time than that has passed since the 800s were all retired.

Yeah and it would of been nice to have kept them around a little bit longer and probably run them out of Kedzie until roughly 2022. 

56 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah and it would of been nice to have kept them around a little bit longer and probably run them out of Kedzie until roughly 2022. 

True at least they’ve lasted about 5 more years longer after the #900’s were retired from service, roughly 2015-2017 was the time the #800’s started to dwindle down to only one unit, #801, #802 and #809 hasn’t pretty much seen service since late 2014 to mid 2015. I do agree with you that they could have kept at least 4 or 5 of them running until now, none are in any good condition to operate again with most of them look weak now with many parts missing and the #1000’s to begin to retire soon. 

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

Indeed, the last run for #804 was three years ago on December 13th that’s at least 13 years passed a year after they’ve hit the age of 12 from the FTA with the #900s in service for 6-7 years.

49 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

True at least they’ve lasted about 5 more years longer after the #900’s were retired from service, roughly 2015-2017 was the time the #800’s started to dwindle down to only one unit, #801, #802 and #809 hasn’t pretty much seen service since late 2014 to mid 2015. I do agree with you that they could have kept at least 4 or 5 of them running until now, none are in any good condition to operate again with most of them look weak now with many parts missing and the #1000’s to begin to retire soon. 

Indeed, the last run for #804 was three years ago on December 13th that’s at least 13 years passed a year after they’ve hit the age of 12 from the FTA with the #900s in service for 6-7 years.

Yea they kept 804 in service do long just to show they kept it in service 12 years when I first got to K 804 didn't really get used that much no way it might have went out once a week it was basically a bus that was used when they needed a bus I drove it a few times it still drove good my girl when saw me one night & took a pic while I was doing the 82 but it ended its life doing the 82 it also mostly Saud behind the run booth where 6031 said from 2010-12 before it was moved outside in the back some time in 2012 then taken to 7

• 4 weeks later...

This might just be a theory so bare with me. I think the reason they retired so early is because they wasn't met to last long in the first place. The same goes for the ISE powered units haven't ISE went bankrupt. Keep in mind that these buses were testing these buses, guessing to see if they wanted more (which is why they were split into two hybrid fuel types). I'm guessing they liked the Allison units more than the ISE units because the DE60LFs are powered with Allison Hybrid Drive Transmissions (but not more DE40LFs). 

My point is, have them bought more DE40LFs around the same time they got the DE60LFs, the 06 DE40LFs would've last until 2022 or so.

2 hours ago, ajay said:

This might just be a theory so bare with me. I think the reason they retired so early is because they wasn't met to last long in the first place. The same goes for the ISE powered units haven't ISE went bankrupt. Keep in mind that these buses were testing these buses, guessing to see if they wanted more (which is why they were split into two hybrid fuel types). I'm guessing they liked the Allison units more than the ISE units because the DE60LFs are powered with Allison Hybrid Drive Transmissions (but not more DE40LFs). 

My point is, have them bought more DE40LFs around the same time they got the DE60LFs, the 06 DE40LFs would've last until 2022 or so.

Thank you for repeating the same answer given several different times now. ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ajay said:

The original plan was to keep the buses each for a full year of testing (1 year). I do wish the entire fleet of 800s lasted longer than they’ve did instead of keep 804 in service until 2019. It would be nice to see those retire at the same time when it’s time for the 1000s to die.

4 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

The original plan was to keep the buses each for a full year of testing (1 year). I do wish the entire fleet of 800s lasted longer than they’ve did instead of keep 804 in service until 2019. It would be nice to see those retire at the same time when it’s time for the 1000s to die.

The reason they kept 804 running till 19 cause they brought those buses with FTA money & when they do that they have to keep the buses running for 12 years so that's why 804 stayed so long also that's why they didn't run it much no more after retiring the rest to maybe also keep it from getting into a serious crash etc

4 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

The reason they kept 804 running till 19 cause they brought those buses with FTA money & when they do that they have to keep the buses running for 12 years so that's why 804 stayed so long also that's why they didn't run it much no more after retiring the rest to maybe also keep it from getting into a serious crash etc

Doesn't explain how CTA got rid of the other 19 early, unless CTA kept them on the books while not operable (has happened; that's apparently what happened with 4323).

9 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Doesn't explain how CTA got rid of the other 19 early, unless CTA kept them on the books while not operable (has happened; that's apparently what happened with 4323).

See they kept one on the books cause they all was the same style new flyer just different motors but with 4323 that can be retired early if that was the case cta would have fixed it with almost 10 years they then had when a bus is involved in a crash or fired that really mess it up it can be retired early like 8144 that can be knocked off but the crooked government won't even know about the ones that's been knocked off early

14 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

See they kept one on the books cause they all was the same style new flyer just different motors but with 4323 that can be retired early if that was the case cta would have fixed it with almost 10 years they then had when a bus is involved in a crash or fired that really mess it up it can be retired early like 8144 that can be knocked off but the crooked government won't even know about the ones that's been knocked off early

You didn't answer about the other 19, but your last clause seems accurate.

6 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

That and also I think they’ve kept 804 around longer than the rest because it must of been in much better shape compared to the rest of the 800’s that were retired despite it had the old fluorescent lighting. Both 800s and 900s were also slated to get updated interior lighting upgrades only, the 900s were retired early enough before that happened, that turned out to a few 4000’s having them and 800,803 and 806 the only DE40LFs to have them.

16 hours ago, Busjack said:

You didn't answer about the other 19, but your last clause seems accurate.

Yea they are a ll the same models so what cta did was when they knocked off the 900's they didn't say anything then they started slowly knocking off the 800's but they had to keep one in service till the FTA mandate long as is r the government not about to come check if they all are running long as some is active that's why CT kept 804 running for as long as they did which in its later years really only stayed on the 7 52 or 126 sometimes went to the 12 long as some is active the government is happy 

15 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

That and also I think they’ve kept 804 around longer than the rest because it must of been in much better shape compared to the rest of the 800’s that were retired despite it had the old fluorescent lighting. Both 800s and 900s were also slated to get updated interior lighting upgrades only, the 900s were retired early enough before that happened, that turned out to a few 4000’s having them and 800,803 and 806 the only DE40LFs to have them.

True cause 804 did have the lowest miles I believe didn't even have 100k 

On 12/1/2022 at 4:57 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

On 12/1/2022 at 9:01 PM, Busjack said:

Yes the 800s and 900s were sent to CTA as part of the order for 1030 D40LFs from New Flyer, but I don't think the 12 year rule applies here due to CTA considering and designating them  test buses. CTA didn't even intend to buy them originally from what I recall of past information. But through some negotiation New Flyer had with CTA, the 20 DE40LFs were tacked on at the tailend of the 1030 diesel order for CTA to test out. It became a test of which type of hybrid worked better on Chicago streets and during Chicago style winters between parallel drive hybrids and series drive hybrids. This was the reason for there being two different types for which there were ten each of the 800s (parallel drive) and 900s (series drive). CTA preferred the performance of parallel over series, which is why the next artic order became the 4000s when they decided their next bus order would be hybrids as part of their cleaner air initiatives at a time when that still meant burning cleaner fuels in terms of sulfur emissions and opting for engines that used less liquid fuels over the current evolution of transitioning to zero emissions of any kind, including carbon. Back on topic though, if I'm not mistaken the test bus designation meant the 12 year rule didn't apply, which is probably what Busjack was alluding to when he brought up the other nine 800s and all of the 900s being retired so early compared to 804 finally getting retired.

41 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Yes the 800s and 900s were sent to CTA as part of the order for 1030 D40LFs from New Flyer, but I don't think 12 year rule applies here due to CTA considering and designating them  test buses. CTA didn't even intend to buy them originally from what I recall of past information. But through some negotiation New Flyer had with CTA, the 20 DE40LFs we're tacked on at the tailend of the 1030 diesel order for CTA to test out. It became a test of which type of hybrid worked better on Chicago streets and during Chicago style winters between parallel drive hybrids and series drive hybrids. This was the reason for there being two different types for which there were ten each of the 800s (parallel drive) and 900s (series drive). CTA preferred the performance of parallel over series, which is why the next artic order became the 4000s when they decided their next bus order would be hybrids as part of their cleaner air initiatives at a time when that still meant burning cleaner fuels in terms of sulfur emissions and opting for engines that used less liquid fuels over the current evolution of transitioning to zero emissions of any kind, including carbon. Back on topic though, if I'm not mistaken the test bus designation meant the 12 year rule didn't apply, which is probably what Busjack was alluding to when he brought up the other nine 800s and all of the 900s being retired so early compared to 804 finally getting retired.

If so then it's crazy they kept 804 in service till the 12 year mark before knocking it off

On 12/10/2022 at 2:11 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

If so then it's crazy they kept 804 in service till the 12 year mark before knocking it off

I always chalked that up to the mechanics at Kedzie being so good at their jobs. As it stands, the 900s might have lasted longer if not for ISE, the folks who built the ThunderVolt hybrid drive units that powered them, going bankrupt and making future parts for them unavailable. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

I always chalked that up to the mechanics at Kedzie being so good at their jobs. As it stands, the 900s might have lasted longer if not for ISE, the folks who built the ThunderVolt hybrid drive units that powered them, going bankrupt and making future parts for them unavailable. 

Yea that was the thing that killed the 900's bus the techs at K do be good