Chicago Transit Forum: Bugs, Feedback, Questions

Kevin

One thing I did not see in a reply box was the option to go to a full editor to proofread it there and check out the links. I suppose one can always "submit reply" and then "edit" but that's still an extra step.

Two things I saw I really did like:

• I noticed red things popping up around quote boxes, and hovering over they said "insert paragraph." That overcomes the p.i.t.a. in the old version that sometimes there didn't seem to be a place where one could insert around a quote after editing the quote (if in rft mode). There is also one at the bottom of a reply box.
  • If one selects a topic under "New Content," there is an arrow for "next unread topic," which saves going back to the new content page and refreshing it.

Chrome worked..... for just a few minutes, then the "I" Bar bugs started again. With chicagobus.org, my computer didn't have as much CPU usage and Physical Memory Usage as chitransit.org. The computer was really working while trying to do a mock edit of the rail rosters. CPU Usage: 55%, Physical Memory: 66%. Never had issues with chicagobus.org. Maybe this is the issue, but why is chitransit.org causing so much CPU and Physical Memory usage and chicagobus.org didn't? Could this be the problem to my buggy "I" bar issue? If so, there is no known way to rectify this.... I shouldn't have to clear cookies and cache just to use one website if that solves the issue(never had to with chicagobus.org). And like I said, spending $1,000 on a new computer isn't in the plans...

​What OS are you using? I haven't had issues with performance or the "I" bar not showing up on Windows 7.

​What OS are you using? I haven't had issues with performance or the "I" bar not showing up on Windows 7.

​I was able to confirm some cursor responsive issues when editing posts with large amounts of formatted text. It only affects certain environments with limited CPU resources. I'm looking into it.

Chrome worked..... for just a few minutes, then the "I" Bar bugs started again. With chicagobus.org, my computer didn't have as much CPU usage and Physical Memory Usage as chitransit.org. The computer was really working while trying to do a mock edit of the rail rosters. CPU Usage: 55%, Physical Memory: 66%. Never had issues with chicagobus.org. Maybe this is the issue, but why is chitransit.org causing so much CPU and Physical Memory usage and chicagobus.org didn't? Could this be the problem to my buggy "I" bar issue? If so, there is no known way to rectify this.... I shouldn't have to clear cookies and cache just to use one website if that solves the issue(never had to with chicagobus.org). And like I said, spending $1,000 on a new computer isn't in the plans...

​Trying something else

• Maybe related to sw's problem, I noted that the red lines (which I previously praised), when they pop up, seem to shift the text in the edit box around, and hence it is hard to get the insertion point in the correct place.
  • Another error, which I encountered yesterday, but documented above is that sometimes the quote link picks up a lot of nested material other than the intended quote. In this case, I only wanted to pick up the box "16 hours ago, Kevin said" but got all the junk I highlighted in purple italics above.

And even more bizarrely, after I posted, the "16 hours ago, Kevin said" quote box disappeared.

Edited by Busjack

On notifications, I had grayed out all options except added to a conversation under messenger, I see that notifications have returned. I have a gray X on "Someone quotes a comment or post I made" but I got notification of replies.

I see that the Administrator has disabled turning off "Someone gives reputation to something I posted" but I am not interested in seeing a notification about that.

Biggest issue for me is the photos not appearing as thumbnails but as regular size photos. This seems to be slowing down my page loading time because it is loading at higher res. Plus any post with alot of pictures like my #7900's roster page takes forever to load. This may limit the number of photos I load but I have faith it's being worked on. Plus I seem to get an odd error that I can't no longer edit my post. I just ignore it and reclick, it posts anyway.

Nice to see some improvements already with the topics page loading better now. I felt at times like I was posting to myself or was in a tunnel and couldn't really see the forum info to my liking. I just hope it gets where I can edit on the fly but it's getting better.

Biggest issue for me is the photos not appearing as thumbnails but as regular size photos. This seems to be slowing down my page loading time because it is loading at higher res. Plus any post with alot of pictures like my #7900's roster page takes forever to load. This may limit the number of photos I load but I have faith it's being worked on. Plus I seem to get an odd error that I can't no longer edit my post. I just ignore it and reclick, it posts anyway.

Nice to see some improvements already with the topics page loading better now. I felt at times like I was posting to myself or was in a tunnel and couldn't really see the forum info to my liking. I just hope it gets where I can edit on the fly but it's getting better.

​I usually put images in spoiler tags because then they don't load until you open the spoiler. That way the page loading doesn't get slowed down by images and the reader can load them one at a time.

​Good point, and since sw was complaining about the I beam cursor on his roster pages, that could be part of the cause of his problem, too.

​Good point, and since sw was complaining about the I beam cursor on his roster pages, that could be part of the cause of his problem, too.

​I hope so. I know Kevin's looking into this issue and will await a resolution on this. I just hate the fact that I'm being forced to take time off from doing some of the more daily tasks I normally do on here, namely adjusting and modifying Bus and Rail Rosters, and we're in a transition period here for both, as the 7900-Series Novas keep rolling in and the 5000-Series Bombardier continue to come in and cause older Bus and Rail equipment to be transferred to new locations or retired.

Thanks. Please continue to report issues, even if others already have, so that I can determine how widespread they are. I'll be working with the software vendor to resolve them. 

Is anyone else seeing the attached "a problem occurred" message on occasion in iOS?

image.jpg

Busjack, your first screenshot looks exactly like the forums when I look at them on my phone. The second looks like the desktop version. I'm thinking the site is having trouble determining if you're on a phone or a computer.

Thanks. Please continue to report issues, even if others already have, so that I can determine how widespread they are. I'll be working with the software vendor to resolve them. 

Is anyone else seeing the attached "a problem occurred" message on occasion in iOS?

iOS Problem Image

​Not yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Just wondering...sometimes one gets an explicit link for "New content" but other times it is only the star icon, as indicated below:forum.thumb.jpg.3f2279e66accadd350eb8e37

The site adapts based on your window size. If your browser window is narrow, you'll see a version optimized for narrower screens. If you adjust the width, you'll see the expanded version. 

The site adapts based on your window size. If your browser window is narrow, you'll see a version optimized for narrower screens. If you adjust the width, you'll see the expanded version. 

​That seems to be (after reading this, I stretched and shrunk the browser windows and opened new tabs and got different results), but the 2 screen shots I posted didn't seem that different in size, except maybe that the words on the menu bar seem a bit more condensed in the second. Opening the two of them in separate tabs does make it appear that "later" is wider (but not by much).

I thought maybe there was a glimmer of hope for roster adjusting finally, but nope... I switched the theme to "Default" rather than "Default: Chicago Transit Forum" and the screen changed a bit(the bars were blue, not green and there was no PCC Car in the top left).  I got a roster updated, then went to another and the "I" Bar didn't want to appear again.... I clicked and clicked and nothing. I know it's still being looked into and hopefully resolved later on, but I thought I found a solution on the site right here and now......

Another faulty scenario, when trying to jump to another page inside the topic i.e. jumping from Page 1 to 20, it won't direct you to that page. I don't know why there's a scroll counter inserted in the UI....

I wasn't sure what your complaint was, but trying it on a big thread such as the 1000s rehabs, the Go button in the pull down doesn't take me anywhere.

I have a wide screen & the browser is set to see all.

But at the right are "Featured Topics" & "Latest Topics", but the Latest Topic don't seem to add what actually are the latest topics. There has been some slight rearrangement in the order of them.

So I have to go into the various forums to find the topics with stars, that mean there have been replies.

I have a wide screen & the browser is set to see all.

But at the right are "Featured Topics" & "Latest Topics", but the Latest Topic don't seem to add what actually are the latest topics. There has been some slight rearrangement in the order of them.

So I have to go into the various forums to find the topics with stars, that mean there have been replies.

​There has always been and still is the link for New Content, the only change apparently being that it is replaced by the star in narrow view. That allows various types of filtering in the left frame.

newcontent.thumb.jpg.e480a04929a6ca3190c

I agree that the Featured Topics and Latest Topics seem random, but the "Recent Forum Discussions" that was on the chicagobus.org home page (still there but not being fed) weren't being updated much better. Maybe the Administrators can figure out a better way of determining what the Latest Topics are.

Update: There appear to be other ways to keep with with topics, such as a "Follow This" icon in the topic, and ways to adjust your Notifications (click on the bell, and then Notification Settings). They are a bit too wonky for me, but you might be able to use them.

Edited by Busjack

I just tried posting a YouTube video to my Train Sim thread. Usually, putting the YouTube URL in

url
 tags would make it show as a YouTube player, but it didn't, so I tried 
media
 tags, which makes it show as a YouTube player in the edit box but not in the actual post.

EDIT: Editing and re-saving the thread a few times seems to have fixed it. Seems like thread editing has issues. Also, I don't see an option for "turn off text formatting" anymore...you used to be able to edit the BBcode of an existing post, but I don't see a way to do that anymore.

Edited by briman94

On notifications, I had grayed out all options except added to a conversation under messenger, I see that notifications have returned. I have a gray X on "Someone quotes a comment or post I made" but I got notification of replies.

I see that the Administrator has disabled turning off "Someone gives reputation to something I posted" but I am not interested in seeing a notification about that.

​I've updated notification settings. You should now be able to modify all available settings.