Chicago Transit Forum: Bugs, Feedback, Questions

Kevin

Adding two annoying "screen jumping all over the place" instances this morning:

• It seems that because the pictures in a post are not reduced to thumnails and expand after reaching a page, it is real hard to find the original post when clicking on the back arrow in in a quote box.
  • Also, I'm not sure why the system is merging replies when in the same topic, but not necessarily the same subject, such as here. I had used multiquote for NewFlyerMCI and art's quotes, but the forum flashed "your replies are being merged" for the reply to CTA5750.

Adding two annoying "screen jumping all over the place" instances this morning:

• It seems that because the pictures in a post are not reduced to thumnails and expand after reaching a page, it is real hard to find the original post when clicking on the back arrow in in a quote box.
  • Also, I'm not sure why the system is merging replies when in the same topic, but not necessarily the same subject, such as here. I had used multiquote for NewFlyerMCI and art's quotes, but the forum flashed "your replies are being merged" for the reply to CTA5750.

The merging is sort of annoying. Instead of making one point in a post it puts several ideas in the same post and makes you read a long post. If disinterested in the first quote, one may never read the second one.

Also, when I put up an attachment, like a picture, if I wanted to post again on the same session in another topic, the attachment follows me around from post to post. I then have to fight with it deleting attachments that shouldn't be there but are there in the second post. Sort of annoying.

Also, when I put up an attachment, like a picture, if I wanted to post again on the same session in another topic, the attachment follows me around from post to post. I then have to fight with it deleting attachments that shouldn't be there but are there in the second post. Sort of annoying.

Certainly annoying to the reader in that one has to scroll through the humongous quote just to get to what is usually the one sentence reply. Also, a couple times this happened to me when I was attempting to edit something in a quote box, the picture in the quote wouldn't delete (maybe because selecting it was too tricky).

IIRC, the old software just inserted a link to the attachment in a quote, not the whole picture.

Certainly annoying to the reader in that one has to scroll through the humongous quote just to get to what is usually the one sentence reply. Also, a couple times this happened to me when I was attempting to edit something in a quote box, the picture in the quote wouldn't delete (maybe because selecting it was too tricky).

IIRC, the old software just inserted a link to the attachment in a quote, not the whole picture.

Yeah, when I updated my #8100's arrival list and put a link on the roster, it shows the whole post, versus a link. Not something I really like, but it is what it is. Sort of confusing, you then have to figure out what to click to access the linked post. In that case it was a sentence that says to reply to said link, which may be confusing to the user, it was to me, because it makes you believe you are replying instead of viewing. I put a disclaimer, hopefully users won't get too confused.

More like pet peeve du jour rather than a malfunction.

If you click Cancel in an edit box, you get a dialog asking "Are you sure? Yes Cancel." Yes I am sure that I want to Cancel. The dialog should be "Yes/No."

• 3 weeks later...

I was browsing the site on my phone and I accidentally tapped one of Garmon757's posts in a blank area and the little flag that's for reporting the post looked like it activated. So if there's a reported post for some reason, you know why, though nothing offensive was said. I guess that counts as a bug?

I was browsing the site on my phone and I accidentally tapped one of Garmon757's posts in a blank area and the little flag that's for reporting the post looked like it activated. So if there's a reported post for some reason, you know why, though nothing offensive was said. I guess that counts as a bug?

Taping a post on mobile seems to select it in some fashion. You'd have to actually tap on the flag and confirm a report before one would actually get filled. 

Taping a post on mobile seems to select it in some fashion. You'd have to actually tap on the flag and confirm a report before one would actually get filled. 

Thanks for confirming! I tapped on the actual flag because I freaked out and thought I could cancel the flag and then a prompt came up which didn't come up before when I tapped the entire post. From that I assumed that I hadn't actually flagged the post to begin with.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised that sw hasn't summoned Vincent Kennedy McMahon Jr. about the feeds not working on the chicagobus.org page.

Those feeds were powered by Yahoo Pipes, which Yahoo decided to shutdown this month. They'll return as soon as I have an alternative backend in place.

Those feeds were powered by Yahoo Pipes, which Yahoo decided to shutdown this month. They'll return as soon as I have an alternative backend in place.

Not that I could understand most of it, but from the blog it appears that they also shutdown Babelfish. At least there is Google Translate, which is available at the bottom of any page on pacebus.com. I'm surprised that it wasn't a direct Google utility that provided this service.

When viewing the forums on IPhone and I use the back button to return to the topic listing, sometimes that screen displays as it did the previous time I visited the forums. For example, I check the forums at 1:00 and the last reply to a certain thread was 2 hr ago. Someone else replies at 4:45 which I read at 5:00. After reading the reply I hit back, and now the topic listing displays as if it were still 1:00. Refreshing the page fixes it but it gets annoying when it happens many times in the same session.

When viewing the forums on IPhone and I use the back button to return to the topic listing, sometimes that screen displays as it did the previous time I visited the forums. For example, I check the forums at 1:00 and the last reply to a certain thread was 2 hr ago. Someone else replies at 4:45 which I read at 5:00. After reading the reply I hit back, and now the topic listing displays as if it were still 1:00. Refreshing the page fixes it but it gets annoying when it happens many times in the same session.

That's not an issue with the forum; your phone's browser uses the cache when going "Back" instead of actually loading the page. That's standard behavior for all web browsers.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

This might be a minor scenario but is there anyway the length of the cover photo on the profile page can be improved? It's so small, you can't even have a decent background without half of it being blocked. Also the the profile pic that's centered kills the cover photo on the mobile version.

• 5 weeks later...

As in this post, why are the thumbnails o.k, but when  when you click on them, the images are rotated 90 degrees?

Seems to have happened a lot lately.

Now that I know I'm not the only one having this problem, it would seem to be the website's fault rather than my own. At least we got a good laugh out of it when the blue line was "suspended".

As in this post, why are the thumbnails o.k, but when  when you click on them, the images are rotated 90 degrees?

Seems to have happened a lot lately.

I'll check with support to see what can be done. This happens with photos taken with a phone where the embedded orientation data isn't being properly read by the forum software. It's a bit of a tricky issue that affects numerous sites.

• Upvote 3

I'll check with support to see what can be done. This happens with photos taken with a phone where the embedded orientation data isn't being properly read by the forum software. It's a bit of a tricky issue that affects numerous sites.

Thanks for the answer. Next time I'll try to hold my phone the opposite direction to see if that makes them display properly.

Thanks for the answer. Next time I'll try to hold my phone the opposite direction to see if that makes them display properly.

As they say on America's Funniest Home Videos, hold your camera sideways (landscape). However, as Kevin indicates, there seems to be some sort of forum software issue, too.

A significant software update has been applied.

Changes include:

• Major updates to the text editor to improve usability and performance, particularly on mobile and when working with quote boxes.
  • Customizable activity streams (replaces View New Content).
  • Browser notification support.
  • Updated main menu structure.
  • HD emoticons for devices with high resolution (retina) displays :)
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

Changes include:

• Major updates to the text editor to improve usability and performance, particularly on mobile and when working with quote boxes.
  • Customizable activity streams (replaces View New Content).
  • Browser notification support.
  • Updated main menu structure.
  • HD emoticons for devices with high resolution (retina) displays :)

And the fact that we're back to square one when it comes to members anonymously give others reputation points! xD

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

Changes include:

• 'Browser notification support...

I got some message (sort of like "do you want Google to disclose your location") about whether I want notifications. What does that mean?