Chicago Transit Forum: Bugs, Feedback, Questions

Kevin

Although the interface looks the same for making a post/reply, the buttons in the second section of the top bar seem to be mislabeled. For example, clicking on the smiley face for emoticons brings up the interface for code input, and clicking on the chain to add a link brings up the emoticon selection panel instead. :ph34r: I've attached a screenshot below showing what hovering over the smiley face looks like.

56527da20f0f8_ScreenShot2015-11-22at8.44

8 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Although the interface looks the same for making a post/reply, the buttons in the second section of the top bar seem to be mislabeled. For example, clicking on the smiley face for emoticons brings up the interface for code input, and clicking on the chain to add a link brings up the emoticon selection panel instead. :ph34r: I've attached a screenshot below showing what hovering over the smiley face looks like.

Thanks for letting me know. What browser are you using?

I'm seeing this too in some browsers. I think there might be some kind of weird caching going on.

Just now, Kevin said:

Thanks for letting me know. What browser are you using?

I'm seeing this too in some browsers. I think there might be some kind of weird caching going on.

I'm currently using Safari. I do appreciate the new computer notifications when receiving a notification on this site though!

5 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I'm currently using Safari. I do appreciate the new computer notifications when receiving a notification on this site though!

Yep, those are handy. :)

Okay, there is a known caching issue related to the toolbar menu. For now, the only way to fix it is to clear your browser cache. To do this in Safari while still maintaining other web site data:

1. Safari menu > Preferences.
  2. Advanced tab. Check "Show Develop menu in menu bar".
  3. Develop menu > Empty Caches.

Reload the page and you should see the proper icons.

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

Yep, those are handy. :)

Okay, there is a known caching issue related to the toolbar menu. For now, the only way to fix it is to clear your browser cache. To do this in Safari while still maintaining other web site data:

1. Safari menu > Preferences.
  2. Advanced tab. Check "Show Develop menu in menu bar".
  3. Develop menu > Empty Caches.

Reload the page and you should see the proper icons.

Yup, it worked! Thanks!

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Too bad there wasn't a way to import more emoticons, on vpforums they have some cool ones that are funny to watch, like a guy banging his head into a wall, or clapping in applause, or beating a dead horse.

They have those on airliners dot net as well. One of my favorites is the emoticon where it looks over and ducks to avoid an apple being thrown at it. :P

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

...which is the essence of a transit forum.9_9

Yeah but it adds to the forum. Like there's one where a emoticon falls on his back LHAO, or one where a emoticon holds up his beer as if saying "here, here". Just funny little things. We might as well have a good time while we're here. Reading words with no emoticons is boring.

• 3 weeks later...
On April 23, 2015 at 4:13 PM, briman94 said:

I just tried posting a YouTube video to my Train Sim thread. Usually, putting the YouTube URL in

url

tags would make it show as a YouTube player, but it didn't, so I tried 

media

tags, which makes it show as a YouTube player in the edit box but not in the actual post.

EDIT: Editing and re-saving the thread a few times seems to have fixed it. Seems like thread editing has issues. Also, I don't see an option for "turn off text formatting" anymore...you used to be able to edit the BBcode of an existing post, but I don't see a way to do that anymore.

This problem reared its ugly head for me just now, but on the bright side, it's a hit or miss situation. The Youtube link is just a link sometimes, but if I try editing the text and keep pasting the link, sometimes the embed works.

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

This problem reared its ugly head for me just now, but on the bright side, it's a hit or miss situation. The Youtube link is just a link sometimes, but if I try editing the text and keep pasting the link, sometimes the embed works.

The trick is to paste the link on its own line and then hit Enter to go to a new line. I was able to get the embed to work in your post by trying that.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

The trick is to paste the link on its own line and then hit Enter to go to a new line. I was able to get the embed to work in your post by trying that.

Thank you! I discovered that trick with a post I made before the one today, but when I tried it on today's post, it didn't do anything.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I tried that in this post with a fairly frivolous YouTube reference, Didn't seem to work by taking the url of the page, url under "Share" or right clicking on the player and taking the Get Video URL.

• 2 weeks later...

As illustrated by the following, it appears that the system somehow nests replies in an unintended manner, maybe because the prior reply was still a draft and not posted, or maybe a system error. The following illustrates what was saved the first time, and then what I intended. I then deleted the first post in the actual forum.

goof.thumb.jpg.772a8ac81821c75fa89cc65c9

• 2 months later...

Moving this post here....

@Kevin, can you help with investigating and solving this issue? I did make an emergency roster thread, but I'd really like to keep the current. As it stands, I can't update Forest Glen or North Park, as I get this message.... I tried to initially do a edit after 1a, and this afternoon after 12p.... same messages occurred.

No Longer Able To Edit Topic.png

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Just wondering if there was an upgrade. I was getting that the address could not be found (for about 2 hours) and now the "Unread Content" looks different.

Yes, a minor software upgrade was applied yesterday.

The downtime earlier today was unrelated.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this forum software supports the use of themes.  As a suggestion, why not introduce themes representing the different CTA rail lines (Red, Blue, Green, Pink, Orange, Purple, Brown, and Yellow, with the Green Line theme being a lighter shade of green than the default green theme)?  I think it would be nice to have (you can take a wild guess which theme I would use).

• 2 months later...

There are photos and videos leaked on behalf of the death of Jessica Hampton. I know all of you wouldn't post anything that's graphical but I have to do my job by keeping this forum clean and appropriate for everybody. So therefore and effective immediately, anybody who deface this forum by posting anything graphical, including today's incident, will be suspended from posting and possibly banned from this forum indefinitely. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned before:*

If you start a reply, but don't finish it, the system saves it, which I suppose is a good idea if there is a malfunction. However, if you come back and want to reply to something else in the same topic, your draft is still in the reply box, and it is very difficult to delete the quote box from the reply box. Instead it usually is necessary to submit the reply, then use Options to delete it.

_______

*I did mention a variation of it above.