Jump to content
Kevin

Chicago Transit Forum: Bugs, Feedback, Questions

Recommended Posts

Ticking the logon box labeled "Logon Anonymously" is ineffective. The 'anonymous' user's username displays at the foot of the page anyhow. Having now seen a scenario in which two users {I am sometimes an 'anonymous' logonner.} ticked the box - but their username appeared.

Please remedy. Either make the anonymous logon option functional, or drop it from the logon menu.

Edited by pudgym29
did not close an italics tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

Ticking the logon box labeled "Logon Anonymously" is ineffective. The 'anonymous' user's username displays at the foot of the page anyhow. Having now seen a scenario in which two users {I am sometimes an 'anonymous' logonner.} ticked the box - but their username appeared.

Please remedy. Either make the anonymous logon option functional, or drop it from the logon menu.

This shouldn't be the case. I will look into this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

Perhaps because I recorded it "vertically" via my smartphone, and the computer seems to prefer horizontal videos

That may be why most videos are posted to YouTube and then embedded here. YouTube provides the viewer, while just uploading the video leaves you at the mercy of whatever viewer program is on the user's PC or device. For instance , it looked o.k. to me, but I was using a tablet.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This bug has been in place for over a year, and it is about the winners of a day of reputation points. The last winner was in February 2018, and no one was the winner of that day after that day over a year ago. I liked that idea for this website, but I think it should be fixed soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ctowntravel said:

Hello is there a post requirement to post new topics? My button is completely missing.

There was a rule that you must have 25 posts to create a new topic. However, I see you were able to do so immediately after asking this question. Did a moderator override that rule, or change the requirement without announcing the change?

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

This bug has been in place for over a year, and it is about the winners of a day of reputation points. The last winner was in February 2018, and no one was the winner of that day after that day over a year ago. I liked that idea for this website, but I think it should be fixed soon.

That “bug” exists, but is not the answer to the question he asked. I’m not sure if this is a bug or if the feature was intentionally disabled, as I recall there was a small debate about the value of reputation around that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Anybody know how I can fix the cta.maths22.com tracker on my phone it says “lost connection” like safari can’t open it 

I think its completely down since this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

I think it’s down for everyone since @sw4400 didn’t update the FG roster of 6400’s and also whoever the owner of maths22 please fix this 

I had similar issues, looks like it's working again. Also, the owner is @maths22

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

These posts are unnecessary.  All 5000 Series cars will eventually get plastic seat bottoms.  

Why are you on such a crusade against certain people and "unnecessary" posts? Maybe they aren't relevant to you (or me, for that matter), but there do seem to be several people on this forum who are interested in the details of individual vehicles. I don't think that type of post is what was intended by the "No disruptive behavior" section of the community guidelines. A few years ago, @BusHunter reported on the rehabs of the 1000-series New Flyers. Nobody criticized that as unnecessary, and he even gained a lot of reputation points for it. I suspect you are just trying to stir up trouble here to get people to join your Discord server instead. Certain comments made on Discord and in the PM you sent to me indicate your attitude toward this forum.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

Why are you on such a crusade against certain people and "unnecessary" posts? Maybe they aren't relevant to you (or me, for that matter), but there do seem to be several people on this forum who are interested in the details of individual vehicles. I don't think that type of post is what was intended by the "No disruptive behavior" section of the community guidelines. A few years ago, @BusHunter reported on the rehabs of the 1000-series New Flyers. Nobody criticized that as unnecessary, and he even gained a lot of reputation points for it. I suspect you are just trying to stir up trouble here to get people to join your Discord server instead. Certain comments made on Discord and in the PM you sent to me indicate your attitude toward this forum.

Okay 1st of all, this has nothing to do with my discord server.  I gave everyone the option to join and explained what the server is about.  You haven't been active on there so obviously you aren't interested in what we do.  But please don't make an accusation about me trying to "stir up trouble to gain more members in another group".  

Second, rehabs of buses and trains are more of a major update to the fleet unlike, in my opinion, posting about every single 5000 series car out of 714 of them about whether or not they have plastic seat bottoms.  But hey, if you guys REALLY want to know about that specific detail that's fine I'll admit fault on that.

Third, I've noticed a change in the forums since I've come here and the posts were actually a lot more informative 2 years ago in comparison to today.  I just expect something more interesting than "bus #1738 is really dirty and brown" when it's WINTER!  If bus #1738 is vandalized, that is news.  

Rehabs are a totally different story than plastic seat bottoms that eventually all trains in the CTA "L" system will have.  If you want my opinion, they feel about the same.  I don't really see too much of a big deal about them because they're literally the same seat design.  But again if y'all wanna know about every single one out of 714 5000 series cars and their fabric or plastic bottom seats, that's fine, I won't comment on it anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Okay 1st of all, this has nothing to do with my discord server.  I gave everyone the option to join and explained what the server is about.  You haven't been active on there so obviously you aren't interested in what we do.  But please don't make an accusation about me trying to "stir up trouble to gain more members in another group".

In the PM you sent me inviting me to Discord, you described this forum as "a hot mess" and made a point of saying "we don't have [person you dislike] on [Discord] making irrelevant posts". I did join but haven't been active because I didn't care for the format or content. You said you "have some pretty knowledgeable people on board" but I was disappointed in that regard. There wasn't much in-depth discussion, but a lot of petty insults. Specifically, you seem to tolerate and encourage ganging up on certain individuals and brag about banning them when they don't comply (you even posted an example here). It was hardly the "safe clean and comfortable environment" or "closer feeling with members of the community" that was advertised. An example of hostility toward this forum was when someone posted on Discord that bus 804 hadn't been out for a week, someone noted that it hadn't been mentioned on here yet, and the response was "let them figure it out themselves".  I also seem to recall a joke about how you "ruined another forum", presumably referring to this one.

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Second, rehabs of buses and trains are more of a major update to the fleet unlike, in my opinion, posting about every single 5000 series car out of 714 of them about whether or not they have plastic seat bottoms.  But hey, if you guys REALLY want to know about that specific detail that's fine I'll admit fault on that.

Rehabs are a totally different story than plastic seat bottoms that eventually all trains in the CTA "L" system will have.  If you want my opinion, they feel about the same.  I don't really see too much of a big deal about them because they're literally the same seat design.  But again if y'all wanna know about every single one out of 714 5000 series cars and their fabric or plastic bottom seats, that's fine, I won't comment on it anymore.

I'm not sure how the relative significance of the change matters, since the complaint was about not needing to know which individual vehicles had it.

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Third, I've noticed a change in the forums since I've come here and the posts were actually a lot more informative 2 years ago in comparison to today.  I just expect something more interesting than "bus #1738 is really dirty and brown" when it's WINTER!  If bus #1738 is vandalized, that is news.

I'm not trying to disagree with you on this; I'm just perplexed by your reaction to it. Clearly you don't favor this forum anymore and that's OK, but this issue has escalated to the point where I feel obliged to say something about it. Since you say it won't be a problem in the future, I'll consider it resolved.

Edited by Pace831
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a transit forum. We do not need to be informed that you are not satisfied with the Discord server. As I and others have stated, I second with chicagocubs6323 with irrelevant posts. You do not need to voice your opinion over something that is not worth arguing about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listen man... @Pace831 to tell you the truth after all our members began to know each other and stuff, it became basically sort of a club type setting and one of the things we like doing is of course the petty jokes about people that did some dumb stuff on the server and got banned.  Plus, I added people that I know from the transit simulation community because that's where I pretty much come from.  We do joke a lot about one of the banned people, which is also on the forum, because I have actually met this person in real life and I do have quite a story to tell about that.   It's an inside joke.  It has nothing to do with this forum.  We don't mean to cause harm to anyone.  And if we do, you need to contact me or any other of the group's admins directly and let us know.  

In reference to "ruining another forum", I used to own a mobile train simulator forum that involved NYCT.  It died because there were flaws in that mobile game that made the desktop version of it a lot better.  We began getting some toxic members on the then-dead forum so I pretty much killed it entirely because there was no point in it.  It's an inside joke I have with friends in the discord group that I've known for years.  The reason "I ruined another forum" was used that day was because again... we joke around about things that happen elsewhere.  It was in reference to last week where the forums were quiet for a bit. 

I'm sorry you don't like the type of environment we have on there.  I created the group not only for young and knowledgeable transit fans, but also to make it a place to have some fun and express ourselves without harming others on the server.

If you think we never had a day where we had a good in-depth conversation about transit you're wrong.  And if you did feel that way, there's also a thing called "starting a conversation".  Bring up something interesting.  I designed the server so that it's mostly CTA, Metra, Pace, NYCT, simulation ANYTHING.   If you wanted to get to understand us a bit better, why not speak in the server to us directly instead of defaming us on here?  

We were NEVER planning anything against the forums.  But hey... I'll talk to my admin team on ways we can improve the group and make things a bit more clearer for incoming new members.  Thanks for your feedback @Pace831 .  Besides the server I think everything else is resolved.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, indigofoundue74 said:

This is a transit forum. We do not need to be informed that you are not satisfied with the Discord server. As I and others have stated, I second with chicagocubs6323 with irrelevant posts. You do not need to voice your opinion over something that is not worth arguing about. 

The discord server is secondary, the point made was that while you might not find some of the content irrelevant, others are interested, even if there is no documented response. Yes, the look of one specific bus might not pass muster, but something like the seat changes is pretty relevant, to me (and this is just an example, I'm not calling on any specific users). Furthermore, as someone who isn't an admin, your telling someone off about voicing their opinion about something on this forum is moot. Take care how you respond to others, no one is attacking you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, indigofoundue74 said:

This is a transit forum. We do not need to be informed that you are not satisfied with the Discord server. As I and others have stated, I second with chicagocubs6323 with irrelevant posts. You do not need to voice your opinion over something that is not worth arguing about. 

To be fair, can you explain how posting about seating modifications to 5000 Series cars, bus moves and bus conditions are "irrelevant posts" while there is an entire thread about joining the Discord server? Since this is a transit forum as you state (and it is), I would count the former as more relevant actually. I'm not trying to bash the server (I even considered joining), but I agree with what Pace831 had to say and his evidence to back up his claims. Regardless of how specific each post gets down to, there is probably someone who appreciates it. I loved the car by car updates when the 3200s got rehabbed, even if the overhauls look more cosmetic in my opinion compared to the 2600s.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to make it clear to everyone that we don't mean any harm on the server nor are we trying to attack the forums as a whole.  To clarify the context of the claims made before: We were mostly attacking a certain person from this forum that got banned off of the server because of an incident he had caused.  I also met this person in real life.  To add to that I'll admit it, we make fun of those exact irrelevant posts on the forums and joke about it being dead.  

This is, in short, in response to Pace831's claims.

I do believe the chitransit.org will continue to be a good source for info about transit in the Chicagoland area.  But we have to play our cards right and keep it that way.  My goal with the discord server, though, was to make it a secondary platform for everyone since it's a live chat with texting and voice channels.  If you guys have any questions, concerns, or comments about the server, feel free to tell me directly or post it in the Chicagoland Transit Discord topic.  The server is still new and I would love people's feedback to make it better, while sticking to the purpose of it also being a place for people to express themselves without harming others.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, indigofoundue74 said:

This is a transit forum. We do not need to be informed that you are not satisfied with the Discord server. As I and others have stated, I second with chicagocubs6323 with irrelevant posts. You do not need to voice your opinion over something that is not worth arguing about. 

The post quoted above shows exactly why I felt that people are “ganging up on others”. If you want to shield yourself from negative feedback, why don’t you stop soliciting membership on here?

Based on what @chicagocubs6323 said, I am satisfied he does not intend to harm this forum, which was my original concern. Any criticism of the Discord server that arose from this discussion was incidental and should be continued in the appropriate thread, if desired.

Thank you for resolving this civilly.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...