Known LED Destination Signs

briman94

Just posted this to the Facebook group, but I thought I'd post it here too.

KELhnpq.pngO0pQWd4.png

The first image is a list of all the destination signs that have been seen or confirmed on the new LED signs (seen on the 5000-series and rehabbed 3200-series).

The second image is a "what-if" list, showing what potential future signs might look like. These are either signs on the mylar rollers that have never been seen on the LED signs, or fictional/future signs that we may see eventually.

Let me know if you find a mistake or if I missed a known one, or if you see a new one that isn't on here!

I created this using the textures from my "CTA in Train Simulator" project. To make these textures, I created a low-resolution image (72x24 pixels; the resolution of the actual sign boards), and ran it through a program I made which makes it bigger and adds a fake "LED" effect. The font used is Helvetica, which is what's used on the actual signs.

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 5

As mentioned in the picture, I can't recreate the Yellow Line Skokie sign because I don't have the Skokie Swift logo. If somebody wants to see if they can get a high-res picture of the sign (enough to see the individual LEDs on the train), it'd be much appreciated. A similar picture of the Midway or O'Hare sign (probably Midway thanks to 3207-08) would be nice too, because I don't think the airplane icon is correct, but it looks fine so that's not a huge deal.

Let me know if you find a mistake or if I missed a known one, or if you see a new one that isn't on here! (This includes rehabbed 3200s, even though the image only says 5000s).

I created this using the textures from my "CTA in Train Simulator" project. I create a low-resolution image (72x24 pixels; the resolution of the actual sign boards), and run it through a program I made which makes it bigger with a fake "LED" effect. The font used is Helvetica, which is what's used on the actual signs.

​Two signs missing even though they were rarely used: the black "Midway" or "O'Hare" sign with the airplane logo and the black "Downtown" sign.

​Two signs missing even though they were rarely used: the black "Midway" or "O'Hare" sign with the airplane logo and the black "Downtown" sign.

​Have we seen those on the 5000s yet? I almost put "Ford City" too, but that one's never been seen on the 5000s. For now I only included ones actually seen, or ones that are obvious (signs actively in use).

​Have we seen those on the 5000s yet? I almost put "Ford City" too, but that one's never been seen on the 5000s. For now I only included ones actually seen, or ones that are obvious (signs actively in use).

​Oh ok that makes sense. I haven't seem them displayed on the 5000s but I'm debating whether the destination signs should display "Downtown" instead of "Loop".

​Oh ok that makes sense. I haven't seem them displayed on the 5000s but I'm debating whether the destination signs should display "Downtown" instead of "Loop".

​Added another image with some fictional or "what if" signs, including those you mentioned :P 

• Upvote 1

As mentioned in the picture, I can't recreate the Yellow Line Skokie sign because I don't have the Skokie Swift logo. If somebody wants to see if they can get a high-res picture of the sign (enough to see the individual LEDs on the train), it'd be much appreciated. A similar picture of the Midway or O'Hare sign (probably Midway thanks to 3207-08) would be nice too, because I don't think the airplane icon is correct, but it looks fine so that's not a huge deal.

I got this via Bing (http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3132/3175599121_1649d3e175_z.jpg)

3175599121_1649d3e175_z.jpg

​Added another image with some fictional or "what if" signs, including those you mentioned :P 

​130th/Dan Ryan what???? xD Some guy had a fantasy map of the "Gray Line" from Randolph St./South Water Station (Metra/SS) to Blue Island-Vermont Street (ME/RI)

​That's a start, for sure...I don't know if I can transpose it to the LED grid easily. I'm really bad at sprite art (low-res art) unless I have something to base it on.

​More Bing.....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cta+Blue+Line&view=detailv2&&&id=B778887BC4AF9FCC8033A8EB5BCA949E7DD63B49&selectedIndex=24&ccid=t5kjWBvs&simid=608017372233073103&thid=JN.RMmZKcLDx%2boJWqepJ%2fKHzg&ajaxhist=0

​Same thing...I don't know how easily I can transpose it to the LED grid. I have one version of the airplane icon that looks okay, but I don't know if it's the same size as the real signs and I'm a bit of a perfectionist xD The Skokie Swift icon is more important though. Once I get that, I can finally add the yellow line signs to Train Simulator.

​Generic (via Bing)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cta+Blue+Line+LED&view=detailv2&&&id=0B27F09CB8CB7DF80A764C15B8B49CDDECE37AFC&selectedIndex=7&ccid=t%2fA5bg%2fJ&simid=608006239670438647&thid=JN.RCdFV8VqsSgJwESu2gzh1Q&ajaxhist=0

​Same thing...I don't know how easily I can transpose it to the LED grid. I have one version of the airplane icon that looks okay, but I don't know if it's the same size as the real signs and I'm a bit of a perfectionist xD The Skokie Swift icon is more important though. Once I get that, I can finally add the yellow line signs to Train Simulator.

​Here you go...from ChicagoL.org, via Bing

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cta+Blue+Line+LED&view=detailv2&&&id=9224F28EA28F1F62FF8186345ADD9FD01C3ECCDE&selectedIndex=18&ccid=9vDM9v3O&simid=608012089419105333&thid=JN.b3x5cHPN7oKesgyPsDKbOQ&ajaxhist=0

​Books show Ford City when the 3200s were originally delivered, but no evidence of that lately.

​Issue there is that for those that go to the elevated Loop, Loop is the destination. For the Red Line, the destination is Roosevelt. The destination for the Blue Line is UIC-Halsted. That doesn't provide destinations northbound on either line, but I don't think there is really any place one could turn back a train northbound in the downtown area once it enters the subway.

Just posted this to the Facebook group, but I thought I'd post it here too.

The first image is a list of all the destination signs that have been seen or confirmed on the new LED signs (seen on the 5000-series and rehabbed 3200-series).

The second image is a "what-if" list, showing what potential future signs might look like. These are either signs on the mylar rollers that have never been seen on the LED signs, or fictional/future signs that we may see eventually.

Let me know if you find a mistake or if I missed a known one, or if you see a new one that isn't on here!

I created this using the textures from my "CTA in Train Simulator" project. To make these textures, I created a low-resolution image (72x24 pixels; the resolution of the actual sign boards), and ran it through a program I made which makes it bigger and adds a fake "LED" effect. The font used is Helvetica, which is what's used on the actual signs.

​Very cool! I didn't see this posted on the group feed, so thanks for posting it here. :)