briman94

Detailed 3200s Rehab Progress

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

#3345-46 is now fully rehabbed head car currently leaving at Chicago/franklin nb.

You know #3345-46 was one of the 98th #3200 cars that were stranded at 98th. I was trying to think of the other 3 married pairs in that consist. I think they were #3401-02 (already rehabbed) #3271-72 (already rehabbed) and I believe #3363-64 (mia) cause it was at lower 63rd yard.  I was reading #3345-46 went to Skokie on 7/30, so it took them 5 months to rehab it. #3363-64 must be around here somewhere. Usually they deliver from Skokie in 8 car consists, So I've located so far out of the last consist #3345-46, #3395-96, and #3271-72, so I'm missing the last 2 cars. It might be that married pair. I guess I'll have to keep watch.

On 1/7/2016 at 0:43 PM, BusHunter said:

It looks like the brown line doesn't have many cars running in service lately. I counted about 13 or 14, 8 car consists yesterday in service and frequency is like 10 minutes. Frequency used to be higher before. I wonder just how many cars are out for rehab? I counted counting the yard around 130 cars, so what then 30-40 cars are out for rehab?

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been late to class every day this week because I keep missing the first one and the next one is like 10+ minutes away. Especially nasty when you have to wait in this frigid weather with a below-zero wind chill.

1 hour ago, briman94 said:

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been late to class every day this week because I keep missing the first one and the next one is like 10+ minutes away. Especially nasty when you have to wait in this frigid weather with a below-zero wind chill.

Service was pretty good yesterday. I seem to be noticing more LED destination signs on the cars unless it's just my imagination. But if you figure that 40 cars are out for rehab, they most likely are the ones with rollsigns, and then if you figure 60 or so have the LED signs, that's around half of what's left at least on the Brown. 

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

Service was pretty good yesterday. I seem to be noticing more LED destination signs on the cars unless it's just my imagination. But if you figure that 40 cars are out for rehab, they most likely are the ones with rollsigns, and then 60 or so have the LED signs then that around half of what's left at least on the Brown. 

Yeah, there are quite a lot with LEDs now. I've seen numerous trains where all 8 cars have LEDs.

5 minutes ago, briman94 said:

Yeah, there are quite a lot with LEDs now. I've seen numerous trains where all 8 cars have LEDs.

Yeah it's 74 not 60 cars that have been retrofitted (I just looked at the list) so out approximately 130 that's more like a 55-60 percent chance the car one would ride would have the new signs. I was looking at the consists and the rehabbed cars are consistently at the ends and so are LED signed cars so it may end up those rollsign cars that are left may become the belly cars for a few months anyway.

Just now, BusHunter said:

Yeah it's 74 not 60 cars that have been retrofitted (I just looked at the list) so out approximately 130 that's more like 55-60 percent  chance the car one would ride would have the new signs. I was looking at the consists and the rehabbed cars are consistently at the ends and so are LED signed cars so it may end up those rollsign cars that are left may become the belly cars for a few months anyway.

I've seen more rehabbed cars in the middle in the past week or so than at the ends. Shame because you can't see the new run boxes.

Getting LED signs and run number boxes is nice and all, but I'm still waiting for more cars to get the whole treatment (new LED interior lights, fixed-up components, and rebuilt motors that apparently have jet engines in them :ph34r:). Though it sounds like this will be sooner than later with all the cars missing from Kimball Yard. When the project was announced, I remember talking about the idea of subbing cars from other lines to cover for missing 3200s, but I guess that's a bit harder to do with only 2600s and 5000s.

13 hours ago, briman94 said:

On the bright side, it should be warming up just a bit soon. I hope. But a 10 minute wait for the Brown Line sounds unheard of to me (I don't know how bad it was during the 3 track operation though).

Come up here and stand around at the Woodstock Metra station for a bit and see how you do...

Looking at the rehab rosters, looks like I found a new pair with a full rehab(LED Displays and LED Interior Lighting).... #3285-3286. First one I recall being in.... it was bright!!!

3285-3286 with LED Lighting.jpg

• Upvote 3

Looks like we may have the next rehabbed pair sitting up by Kimball shops. It seems to have something wrong with it. It's been sitting there all weekend. (Maybe the guys who worked on #3289-90 worked on this one!!) :P I snapped a few shots, it's  #3375-76

56b80a439f4cb_cta3375.thumb.png.93b33092

56b80b24319ff_cta3376.thumb.png.c65f6eae

(I left the res high maybe we can make out the numbers better)

Keep in mind BusHunter and Briman94 that #3285-86 are yet to be fully completed rehabbed cars because there are no LED run number boxes installed yet. I'm currently riding #3286 as I type this. 

On February 4, 2016 at 1:01 AM, sw4400 said:

Looking at the rehab rosters, looks like I found a new pair with a full rehab(LED Displays and LED Interior Lighting).... #3285-3286. First one I recall being in.... it was bright!!!

3285-3286 with LED Lighting.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! Looking good!

6 hours ago, garmon757 said:

#3263-64 are rehabbed without the LED run number boxes. 

I was trying to figure out how many they are doing a month. It seems like 10 cars a month. At that rate if they stick to putting rehabbed cars on the Brown line, it will take them until just about a year from now, like maybe April 2017 to get rehabbed cars on the Orange line. By then also the Orange line should be deep into retiring it's #2600's.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:55 PM, garmon757 said:

Keep in mind BusHunter and Briman94 that #3285-86 are yet to be fully completed rehabbed cars because there are no LED run number boxes installed yet. I'm currently riding #3286 as I type this. 

Ok, so 3285-3286 are 99% fully rehabbed.... do I still get my "A" grade for my report? :P:D 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I was trying to figure out how many they are doing a month. It seems like 10 cars a month. At that rate if they stick to putting rehabbed cars on the Brown line, it will take them until just about a year from now, like maybe April 2017 to get rehabbed cars on the Orange line. By then also the Orange line should be deep into retiring it's #2600's.

It seems like it but we can't jump the gun yet. Orange Line only have two cars (#3207-08) with LEDs. I don't understand why the Brown Line is hogging every rehabbed and sub-rehabbed cars in the 3200s though. Until the Orange Line get them back, good luck seeing any 2600s disappearing off that line. 

35 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Orange Line only have two cars (#3207-08) with LEDs.

Actually, for the past week or so #3249–50 made it back to the Orange Line. So that makes at least four Orange Line cars with LED signs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

Actually, for the past week or so #3249–50 made it back to the Orange Line. So that makes at least four Orange Line cars with LED signs.

Thanks for the heads up!

I checked on #3225-26 that Briman had on his list as having rehabbed or LED only cars. I can say for sure that it doesn't have anything done to it, but man that car is a *itch to find. I've only saw it once in months!!

#3363-64 are finally released from skokie shops. They are fully rehabbed now. If you remember these were the last of the cars from skokie south and 98th yard. The cars still had problems though. They were red tagged which means the atc wasn't working. Hence why they were in the middle of a consist.

On 3/4/2016 at 7:30 PM, BusHunter said:

#3363-64 are finally released from skokie shops. They are fully rehabbed now. If you remember these were the last of the cars from skokie south and 98th yard. The cars still had problems though. They were red tagged which means the atc wasn't working. Hence why they were in the middle of a consist.

LED Run # boxes?

#3367-68 is sitting over here in kimball yard rehabbed. That was another former Orange line car. I still haven't seen #3375-76. Maybe it went back to orange.

On 3/23/2016 at 6:03 PM, BusHunter said:

#3367-68 is sitting over here in kimball yard rehabbed. That was another former Orange line car. I still haven't seen #3375-76. Maybe it went back to orange.

Forgot to upload these yesterday. Here's shots of #3367-68. They were still in the yard today. (I left them high res so you can see the numbers)

cta 3368.png

cta 3367.png

• Upvote 2