Possible 5000 series on the orange line

Bridgeportbus

Maybe I be retired or dead before I see new trains on the Blue Line because I seen same trains since I in grade school.

When the 7000s were first announced, the prototypes would have arrived before I graduated college, but I'll have been out of college for a few years by the time the designs are even revealed at this point

When the 7000s were first announced, the prototypes would have arrived before I graduated college, but I'll have been out of college for a few years by the time the designs are even revealed at this point

I remember when the 3500s were announced in the early 2000s, I was in elementary school and enjoying my time on the 2600s on the Red and Blue Lines. By the time I was in middle school, I was expecting the 3500s to arrive on CTA rails while riding the 2400s on the Green Line. After graduating high school in 2012, I FINALLY got a ride on the 3500s, now known as the 5000s. Wow that took a while!

• Upvote 4

But seriously, given the fact that the 7000 series procurement keeps being "deferred", "put off, "delayed", whatever you want to call it, I truly believe that between now and the time the 7000s finally start arriving on the property, newer equipment will have to pressed into service on the Blue Line to somehow supplement the worn-out 2600s. Am I going out on a limp? Probably. But reason I say is the Blue is a significant line, second only to the Red Line in ridership. Not to mention the fact that it feeds a major international airport. For these reasons alone, I cannot see CTA running Blue Line for the next 5 plus years without grafting in either 5000s (which would mean swapping from smaller, less traveled lines like the Green, Pink and possibly the Purple), or at the very least some 3200s.  I truly don't see the Ravenswood Brown giving up it's rehabbed 3200s since it have been stated that the Brown supposedly cannot use 2600s.   The ONLY way I see this not happening is if CTA plans to do a "secondary" rehab/patch job to extend the life of whatever number of 2600s it takes to maintain that line's operation; maybe that plan has already been mentioned in previous comments. Granted, 5 years may not sound like a long time before Chicago sees more new rail cars. But you have to consider that within that "5 years" your talking about more years of winter weather (potentially harsh winter weather) and further wear and tear on 35-year old cars that are already falling apart; mechanical issues that will definitely manifest themselves more so on such a heavily traveled line like the Blue. 

Alright, I'm finished. Where are the Nay-sayers???? I know your out there somewhere.

But seriously, given the fact that the 7000 series procurement keeps being "deferred", "put off, "delayed", whatever you want to call it, I truly believe that between now and the time the 7000s finally start arriving on the property, newer equipment will have to pressed into service on the Blue Line to somehow supplement the worn-out 2600s. Am I going out on a limp? Probably. But reason I say is the Blue is a significant line, second only to the Red Line in ridership. Not to mention the fact that it feeds a major international airport. For these reasons alone, I cannot see CTA running Blue Line for the next 5 plus years without grafting in either 5000s (which would mean swapping from smaller, less traveled lines like the Green, Pink and possibly the Purple), or at the very least some 3200s.  I truly don't see the Ravenswood Brown giving up it's rehabbed 3200s since it have been stated that the Brown supposedly cannot use 2600s.   The ONLY way I see this not happening is if CTA plans to do a "secondary" rehab/patch job to extend the life of whatever number of 2600s it takes to maintain that line's operation; maybe that plan has already been mentioned in previous comments. Granted, 5 years may not sound like a long time before Chicago sees more new rail cars. But you have to consider that within that "5 years" your talking about more years of winter weather (potentially harsh winter weather) and further wear and tear on 35-year old cars that are already falling apart; mechanical issues that will definitely manifest themselves more so on such a heavily traveled line like the Blue. 

Alright, I'm finished. Where are the Nay-sayers???? I know your out there somewhere.

• Budgets have stated that 100 2600s are supposed to get a D rehab. Doesn't really answer with regard to the other 300 that are supposed to be retained pending the 7000s.
  • Essentially it gets down to running all junk on one line, vs. having some junk stall in front of another train on the other lines. Since the Blue Line needs in excess of 320 cars, there is no way to get enough cars just taking them off the Green and Pink Lines. Of course, IMO, CTA shouldn't have started there, but just replaced cars on the Red and Blue Lines.
  • Upvote 1

Not trying to bash this topic but I don't understand why all posts aren't in the actual 5000s Deliveries and Assignments topic.

Unfortunately there aren't any actual 5000s delivered or assigned to the Orange Line. This thread is a good exercise in speculation and the reasoning behind future 5000 series  assignments. Not that I don't enjoy this thread. It's fun to see what others are saying.

• Upvote 2