4000-series DE60LF - Updates - Rehabs

garmon757

I forgot to mention yesterday that #4186 is a troubled bus due to a burned spot sustained on the right side near the back tire. The cause of that burn is unknown and I couldn't take a shot because I would be trespassing on CTA property (the entrance where 77th's not in service buses enter at on 79th).

I forgot to mention yesterday that #4186 is a troubled bus due to a burned spot sustained on the right side near the back tire. The cause of that burn is unknown and I couldn't take a shot because I would be trespassing on CTA property (the entrance where 77th's not in service buses enter at on 79th).

Based on location of the burn, it sounds like a hot brake pad sparked a small fire(my guess is it would be small). Without a photo, I'd just be guessing, and I'm not about to ask you or anyone on the chicagobus.org forum to take photos in a spot where you could be arrested for trespassing.

Based on location of the burn, it sounds like a hot brake pad sparked a small fire(my guess is it would be small). Without a photo, I'd just be guessing, and I'm not about to ask you or anyone on the chicagobus.org forum to take photos in a spot where you could be arrested for trespassing.

It's awfully impossible to get a shot of it even if it goes in the back yard. The size of that spot is about 24-36 inches diameter.

• 5 weeks later...

It would appear CTA is making an effort to return long-dead buses to service. 4071 is back after over a year, at Kedzie. 1324 at North Park.

About time! Also, this should help when it comes to anything about the 4000s.

http://chitransit.org/topic/3637-4000-series-new-flyer-de60lf-updates/

It would appear CTA is making an effort to return long-dead buses to service. 4071 is back after over a year, at Kedzie. 1324 at North Park.

​Yeah I thought 1324 was a bus that was down for a while when I spotted it going the opposite direction of my bus on the 22 this morning.

​How about a little insight as to what happened to 4071. I saw it one day on BusHunter's long-term hold list and was like.... o.O

• 4 weeks later...

Ain't this some s--t....... Holy f'ing Moses..... #4167 is done period esepecially when there's a fatality involved.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-michigan-avenue-cta-bus-crash-20150602-story.html

​Who is retired is probably that operators job. They should have just hit the car. Now they killed someone. That right there is probably going to can them because CTA is on the hook for that dead woman. I'm sure there's a long line of lawyers wishing to represent her family. Could even be criminal charges.

• Upvote 3

​Who is retired is probably that operators job. They should have just hit the car. Now they killed someone. That right there is probably going to can them because CTA is on the hook for that dead woman. I'm sure there's a long line of lawyers wishing to represent her family. Could even be criminal charges.

​BusHunter, when you have a 60' bus that weighs who knows how many thousands of pounds at 25-35 mph plowing into your car, odds are it'll smash it all to hell and probably kill or seriously injure the occupant(s) inside there. It doesn't really matter if a car is hit or someone on the sidewalk or in the bus suffers a severe injury. They have to determine who was at fault in the accident... if it was indeed the driver, he/she will be terminated. If it was not, they no doubt will be allowed to keep their job, but probably have the incident on file(I think three in a year, and you're terminated, only a Bus Operator would know for sure). But I'm sure the driver will have nightmares of this incident in his/her mind now and may just quit being too scarred to get behind the wheel of the bus again.

Edited by sw4400
  • Upvote 1

A fatality does not cause a bus to be retired.

The bus probably has some minor damage (windshield, who knows what else?), and may be held in for investigation and inspection, but once they determine it is safe to drive, and they do the repairs, it will be back.

It's not that. It's going to be out for quite a while (investigation, NTSB, etc). That's why I said it was done. Hopefully it don't fall into retirement like #6832.

... if it was indeed the driver, he/she will be terminated. If it was not, they no doubt will be allowed to keep their job, but probably have the incident on file(I think three in a year, and you're terminated, only a Bus Operator would know for sure). ...

​The definition usually is "preventable accident." Even if a car cut off the bus, the question is whether the bus driver could have stopped in time (was driving defensively and at a reasonable speed).

I'm not doing the accident investigation, but plowing into the 205 N. Mich. Plaza when apparently the bus was supposed to make a left turn onto Michigan would tend to indicate not.

It's not that. It's going to be out for quite a while (investigation, NTSB, etc). That's why I said it was done. Hopefully it don't fall into retirement like #6832.

​Not, NTSB, because not a major rail accident.

But agreeing with you, I see someone came to the conclusion that, as a minimum See said was erroneous, in the Accidents thread, and should delete it.

​BusHunter, when you have a 60' bus that weighs who knows how many thousands of pounds at 25-35 mph plowing into your car, odds are it'll smash it all to hell and probably kill or seriously injure the occupant(s) inside there. It doesn't really matter if a car is hit or someone on the sidewalk or in the bus suffers a severe injury. They have to determine who was at fault in the accident... if it was indeed the driver, he/she will be terminated. If it was not, they no doubt will be allowed to keep their job, but probably have the incident on file(I think three in a year, and you're terminated, only a Bus Operator would know for sure). But I'm sure the driver will have nightmares of this incident in his/her mind now and may just quit being too scarred to get behind the wheel of the bus again.

​The smoking gun clue that came out of this accident is the report the operator fell out of their seat. Now if that's true that two things against CTA policy. It doesn't sound like the operator had their seat belt on or was using a sneeze guard. Both would have prevented them from falling out of the seat. The injuries the operator sustained sound like too much considering this was a low speed accident. Now the negligible part of this is if the operator didn't fall out of there seat maybe they would have stopped the bus. At least the concrete wall did that. It could have been much worse. They could've plowed into CVS or went up the hill and came back down it, gravity with no brakes pressed possibly running over a few more on it's way down. I also suspect the operator was  gunning it through the turn. That should be a low speed turn. The only other explanation is they hit the gas instead of the brake.

The Tribune link says the operator was only a one year veteran. So they were a PTO. If they were FTO, the union might contest a firing as the union would have to support it. I'm not sure but I think an operator told me that they are not fully into the union until they are FTO. If so, that operators toast.

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

6832 was retired after the accident because the damage was not worth fixing. It appears repairs were started, but then concealed damage was discovered and the repairs were abandoned. 4167 appears to have been relatively moderately damaged, as it was DRIVEN back off the sidewalk, not pulled back. However, we are likely talking a Law Dept hold, like the 6000's etc still at South Shops. They have to stay on property until matter is settled, which might take years.

• garmon757 pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Well well well, look what we have here! #4071 inside the shop and most likely to be back in service soon!

image.jpg

Actually it was already back in service May 6th

http://chitransit.org/topic/3736-4000-series-de60lf-updates/?do=findComment&comment=75072

Seems funny it would be back at south shops already. Wouldn't it be something if it was the pilot rehab of the #4000 artics!! That should be happening soon if the #1000's are done. I think last years budget said late fall/early winter for the startup date on that project. Still to be answered though is will the hybrid #800's get the updated lighting? #802 didn't have it on the #82 today.

Actually it was already back in service May 6th

http://chitransit.org/topic/3736-4000-series-de60lf-updates/?do=findComment&comment=75072

Seems funny it would be back at south shops already. Wouldn't it be something if it was the pilot rehab of the #4000 artics!! That should be happening soon if the #1000's are done. I think last years budget said late fall/early winter for the startup date on that project. Still to be answered though is will the hybrid #800's get the updated lighting? #802 didn't have it on the #82 today.

We would have to wait for it to be official though. I know Andre mentioned being back at Kedzie but nobody reported it being in actual service.

We would have to wait for it to be official though. I know Andre mentioned being back at Kedzie but nobody reported it being in actual service.

I saw it and put it under my roster at Kedzie. Don't know why it would say it's a 103rd bus unless it never had it's windshield sticker changed but it supposedly died as a np bus years ago. 

Edited by BusHunter