4000-series DE60LF - Updates - Rehabs

garmon757

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

So you're saying it had the seats of a 4000 but arranged like a 4150? Did it have new lights as well cause 4099 from 103rd has new lights already

I didn't notice the lighting, but I think it was one of those godawful 4150s. When watching Bustracker, I will delay a trip if possible just to avoid them & get a 4300.

6 hours ago, strictures said:

I was on a 4000 [don't remember the number, but it was a 22] at the end of December, which had all new seats, but they were still in the same wretched sideways layout. The tall metal framed seats with the weird backs had been replaced with blue plastic seats with shorter backs.

You were on #4155 because it has different seats but the same longitude layout as the rest of the 4150s

On 1/29/2017 at 8:21 PM, Master58 said:

You were on #4155 because it has different seats but the same longitude layout as the rest of the 4150s

But if I remember correctly, the seats on 4155 had grey colored plastic. Strictures reported the seats were blue plastic on the artic he rode. Unless North Park replaced those grey plastic seats with standard colored blue ones.

39 minutes ago, jajuan said:

But if I remember correctly, the seats on 4155 had grey colored plastic. Strictures reported the seats were blue plastic on the artic he rode. Unless North Park replaced those grey plastic seats with standard colored blue ones.

Unless this is some kind of seat test for possibly the retrofit on the upcoming #4000's rehabs. With #8200's floating around with blue seats it seems kind of suspicious that the same kind of seats showed up elsewhere. We really need a picture of that bus' seats.

6 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Unless this is some kind of seat test for possibly the retrofit on the upcoming #4000's rehabs. With #8200's floating around with blue seats it seems kind of suspicious that the same kind of seats showed up elsewhere. We really need a picture of that bus' seats.

Well I'm not quite sure strictures meant that they were blue seats with a plastic insert as opposed to one of the standard CTA blue seats with cloth inserts. So you might be jumping the gun there a bit. But you are correct that photos would help give a clearer visual of what's going there. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 7:48 PM, strictures said:

I didn't notice the lighting, but I think it was one of those godawful 4150s. When watching Bustracker, I will delay a trip if possible just to avoid them & get a 4300.

Well at least you have less of a chance of catching one. 103rd has most of them now NP only has like 20 left with that style

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Master58 said:

I saw  just #4091 unwrapped on #6 Im wondering are they going to unwrap all the jump buses 

Not necessarily.   Perhaps  that  bus could  get rewrapped or another  wrapped in  its stead.  .  There could be a  bus swap  forthcoming  that  could  include  4091.   

However  unwrapping  all of theJeffery  Jump buses would  allow  flexibility  fleet wise as opposed to  some  buses racking up  mileage  being assigned  almost  exclusively to the  J14.

I guess  we have to  keep  watching  out.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

However  unwrapping  all of theJeffery  Jump buses would  allow  flexibility  fleet wise as opposed to  some  buses racking up  mileage  being assigned  almost  exclusively to the  J14.

The issue comes down to whether CTA is still bound by the grant requirement that the buses be "branded."

6 hours ago, garmon757 said:

And no wonder why I can't update the rehab information on the chicagobus.org 4000s page.

There is no indication that the contract was ever awarded,  just advertised. If awarded, it would have come up in the agenda for the Committee on Finance, Audit & Budget, but I looked back to Aug. 2016, and it isn't there.*

Odds are, Mayor Rahm Emanuel would have posted a CTA Press Release, but there isn't one either.

Both on the CTA and Pace fronts,there seem to be a lot of stuff that should have been done by now that hasn't.

*And I looked too far; last indication on this forum was here.

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2017 at 5:04 PM, BusHunter said:

Damn like whatever happened to the #4000s rehab? 

As mentioned before, it would have to come up on the Committee on Finance, Audit & Budget agenda page for the CT Board to authorize a  contract. It hasn't so there isn't a contract.

Now why CTA has not proceeded on the procurement, heck if I know.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Hmmm, that means #4167 is coming back from the dead after that deadly accident downtown. 

I'm pretty sure that by now, legal has picked over it. CTA is clearly at fault, and the only thing would have been whether some mechanical defect contributed.

Hmm.. I heard it had frame damage. I wonder, just because it says 208 means its 208 or is that a generic figure? How many was the #1000's contract for? #1482 had its own contract but maybe it did get something like lighting from the other. #1305 never was rehabbed and certain #800's got the updated lighting even though the lighting contract was enough for the #900's and all the #800s. 

As far as the project finally coming up for bid, it wull probably take at least 6 months to execute from now. The buses were from 2009. So that means they'll  be 9 yrs old at rehab. Kind of late but better late than never. I remember the #6000's were rehabbed so late not all of them were rehabbed before theyy were gone. I think it was 30 buses or something. I have a list probably under the 6000s liferume assignments if anyone's curious. Links on the cta roster.

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

How many was the #1000's contract for?

1029 (1005 already being done), so you may have a point there.

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I remember the #6000's were rehabbed so late not all of them were rehabbed before theyy were gone. I think it was 30 buses or something.

When 74th got only 30 or so 1000s, it was supposed that that was only yo replace dead 6000s, so again you might have a point.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

1029 (1005 already being done), so you may have a point there.

When 74th got only 30 or so 1000s, it was supposed that that was only yo replace dead 6000s, so again you might have a point.

Instead of a mid life rehab, they really should be calling it a 3/4 life rehab.

Maybe one day someone will decide to order electric buses and we'll actually see a bid for them!! :P (Maybe they are waiting for them to go on sale) Hopefully Trump hasn't screwed up funding so bad they can't order them. i can't explain this delay otherwise or why we have to have soon to be 18 year old novas driving around. 

Soon they may have to send out a bid on #6400 replacement parts!! :O

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Instead of a mid life rehab, they really should be calling it a 3/4 life rehab.

The last Metra board video has all sorts of rehash over whehter something is rehab, reconstruction, remanufacturing, etc. (note that this is called "overhaul"), but the bottom line was that it didn't matter, so long as the average age of the fleet since the last one is brought down to some industry standard. Of course one can't rebuild a bus as often as a train car (unless it is 301 or the TTC in the late 90s), but the objective is to get these 208 buses down from 8 or 9 to 0.

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe one day someone will decide to order electric buses and we'll actually see a bid for them!! :P (Maybe they are waiting for them to go on sale) Hopefully Trump hasn't screwed up funding so bad they can't order them.

Last to first...despite sw, the only thing that has been mentioned has been law enforcement funds. I also mentioned that the same CMAQ money is being used to widen intersections and install new traffic lights on Dundee Road, as we speak, and CTA supposedly already had it to convert 33 4334s to hybrid. The only funding question is that since the CMAQ was to cover the difference between the cost of a diesel bus and an electric one (about $300K per bus), whether CTA ever had the money to kick in the $500K cost of a diesel bus into this project.

On the "go on sale," since there was the prior discussion that a Proterra bus is now about $750K, there might be something to that.