4000-series DE60LF - Updates - Rehabs

garmon757

15 hours ago, TripleTransit1 said:

Are the 4000s going through the same rehab process as the #1000s? Or is there something different?

There is one specification for rehabs, but includes separate instructions for rebuilding the hybrid unit. If  one believes CTA Press Releases, the description is here.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How come most of the 4000 stimulus artics have different color interior lighting from the other 4000s? Like 4157-4165, 4167-4191, 4193-4194, 4196, 4198-4206. There interior lighting is yellow and whitish. But on some of them like 4163 for example, it’s a mix of blue led and yellow led interior lighting throughout the bus, whys it like that? Wouldn’t new flyer or CTA thought to just use white or blue led lighting like most other buses across the system? Is there a reason for the interior lights to be like that? 

7 hours ago, Manny018 said:

How come most of the 4000 stimulus artics have different color interior lighting from the other 4000s? Like 4157-4165, 4167-4191, 4193-4194, 4196, 4198-4206. There interior lighting is yellow and whitish. But on some of them like 4163 for example, it’s a mix of blue led and yellow led interior lighting throughout the bus, whys it like that? Wouldn’t new flyer or CTA thought to just use white or blue led lighting like most other buses across the system? Is there a reason for the interior lights to be like that? 

The artic shortage was so severe CTA had to say "whatever is ready we'll take it"

9 hours ago, Manny018 said:

4150-4207 - "CTA was able to move quickly on the new bus order because last fall the Chicago Transit Board approved the reassignment of terms of Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s (WMATA) contract option for the purchase of 58 New Flyer articulated hybrid buses pending the availability of stimulus funds, the agency said". They were delivered to the WMATA spec for seating and lighting. I assume as lights are replaced they are cta standard which are a different color.

The final order 4300-4399 were piggybacked onto a Seattle order, but in this case cta had some input into the interior.

At the time of the first two orders cta were looking to replace the 226 NABI artics that were withdrawn in February 2009. By then 4000-4100 had been delivered with 4101-414r delivered March & April with the last two in May and June 2009. 4150-4207 were delivered July-Sep 2009.

2 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

4150-4207 - "CTA was able to move quickly on the new bus order because last fall the Chicago Transit Board approved the reassignment of terms of Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s (WMATA) contract option for the purchase of 58 New Flyer articulated hybrid buses pending the availability of stimulus funds, the agency said". They were delivered to the WMATA spec for seating and lighting. I assume as lights are replaced they are cta standard which are a different color.

You have a date for the WMATA order? We've never ordered 58 artics at one time, iirc. In fact, I don't think we've done more than 30 at a time.

14 hours ago, Manny018 said:

Because those were the first buses ever ordered by cta with factory led lights installed. The 1000s were retrofits. The lamp covers may have yellowed from age or dirt. The 4000s had a cta spec but the 4150s most likely did not. It's like the 8325s cta has never ordered a bus with windows that tinted. Only buses have been retrofit with them 9532 and 9974 come to mind. Maybe also the frankenbus. When you see mixed light sets on a bus those are light sets that have been repaired they just havent been repaired with the exact same light that's why its off from the other lights. Once I saw a 1000 with three different light set lamp covers on a bus the yellow, white frosted and white with the lines. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe they were two options totaling 58. 

That's why that date is important. We usually order in batches of 20~ something. In 2008, we got 22 NABI 60-BRT, then in 2009 it was another 22 artics, but DE60LFA's. That might be the order, however, I don't remember having contract options we did or didn't exercise, especially since we wouldn't order artics for another 6 years. Furthermore, all of ours are in the BRT styling. 

This also reminds me of when MTA Maryland piggybacked off that stimulus artic order CTA put in, cause every so often I end up on one of those all-vertical seat artics and wonder for a split second "when did I get to Chicago?"

3 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

Hm. I cannot find anything in regards to that contract, which is strange. The year and the model line up, I have no idea why the styling would be different though. Thank you!

• 3 months later...

When did CTA rehab the 4000s artics? I haven’t noticed any differences in any of the 4000s I’ve rode. I rode 4159 on the 146 about a month ago, I sat in the back of the bus and the buses motor or whatever was making a weird motorcycle type sound anytime the bus started moving. It’s made that same sound every time I’ve seen it, 151, 147, 148, 135. You can hear the sound when you’re not on the bus too. It also has a weird battery smell too. 

• 6 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 10:47 AM, Manny018 said:

When did CTA rehab the 4000s artics? I haven’t noticed any differences in any of the 4000s I’ve rode. I rode 4159 on the 146 about a month ago, I sat in the back of the bus and the buses motor or whatever was making a weird motorcycle type sound anytime the bus started moving. It’s made that same sound every time I’ve seen it, 151, 147, 148, 135. You can hear the sound when you’re not on the bus too. It also has a weird battery smell too. 

Only 4099 got something as far as i know and that seems to be more of a pilot

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, NewFlyerMCI said:

You have a date for the WMATA order? We've never ordered 58 artics at one time, iirc. In fact, I don't think we've done more than 30 at a time.

Can't believe I'm quoting an old post, but based on the above posts. this seems to be artics 4150 - 4207, which adds up to 58 artics and seems to line up with Rich Rodriguez being President of the CTA.  THESE are the artics with the hated longitudinal seating.

The 4300s were a 100 bus order with the first 33 being hybrids and the last 67 being clean diesel.

As far as rehabs. I only know about 4099.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Can't believe I'm quoting an old post, but based on the above posts. this seems to be artics 4150 - 4207, which adds up to 58 artics and seems to line up with Rich Rodriguez being President of the CTA.  THESE are the artics with the hated longitudinal seating.

The 4300s were a 100 bus order with the first 33 being hybrids and the last 67 being clean diesel.

As far as rehabs. I only know about 4099.    

Ohh ok

18 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Ohh ok

I Think NewFlyerMci,'s issue was that the 58 buses were a reassignment of a WMATA option for articulated buses.  Apparently those buses were to be BRT styled,  but CTA wanted the old style to match the existing order that was in delivery at that time.  While the CTA presser referenced the WMATA order, he couldn't find the original WMATA order nor the option(s) associated with it.