CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

@‌briman94:

It does sound more like an "L" train going around the curves... reminds me of a Red Line train approaching Sheridan. Still can't comprehend a train that hovers making groaning noises on the tracks.... wait, that train hovers?!?

Hehehe, I've been really lazy about modelling those wheels, haven't I! xD maybe I'll do that next. It's either that or the class/door/brake lights!

Guys, I'm a bit stuck...I need a sound for the track brake but I have no clue where to find that. It's not exactly something that's used often (for most drivers) but since I have the track brake feature on the 5000s, I would like it to be accompanied by the correct sound effect...I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about - that awful grinding brake sound when a driver comes flying into the station too fast. I don't really have the time to look through ALL of the "Ride the Rails" videos to see if any of those drivers used the track brakes at all; any suggestions to some sound effect I could use instead that would sound similar?

...I don't really have the time to look through ALL of the "Ride the Rails" videos to see if any of those drivers used the track brakes at all; any suggestions to some sound effect I could use instead that would sound similar?

​They're good drivers. :P You could probably get by for now using a similar sound. Just try to remember the sound of the track brakes, and think of a similar sound.

On that note, I've been in two instances where drivers have used the track brake on the 5000s on the Green Line. The first time it was December and it was cold and dry. We came into Pulaski too fast and sure enough I heard the grinding noise. The sound was pretty intense since we still had good speed and we had little platform left. The second time was in the fall or spring (I can't remember). It was a wet, rainy day, and as we were pulling into Kedzie or California, it felt like the track brakes were being used. I didn't hear the grinding noise, but I heard a distinct humming noise coming from somewhere. I'm assuming it was the mechanism that worked the track brakes.

​They're good drivers. :P You could probably get by for now using a similar sound. Just try to remember the sound of the track brakes, and think of a similar sound.

On that note, I've been in two instances where drivers have used the track brake on the 5000s on the Green Line. The first time it was December and it was cold and dry. We came into Pulaski too fast and sure enough I heard the grinding noise. The sound was pretty intense since we still had good speed and we had little platform left. The second time was in the fall or spring (I can't remember). It was a wet, rainy day, and as we were pulling into Kedzie or California, it felt like the track brakes were being used. I didn't hear the grinding noise, but I heard a distinct humming noise coming from somewhere. I'm assuming it was the mechanism that worked the track brakes.

The last few times I was on a rush-hour NW-bound blue line, they ended up using the track brakes at almost every station. I guess the 2600s must lose quite a bit of braking power when they're full or something. Other than that I don't experience it that often unless I'm the one driving in TS on my laptop xD kinda hard to stop properly when your train keeps lagging out!

Edited by briman94

The last few times I was on a rush-hour NW-bound blue line, they ended up using the track brakes at almost every station. I guess the 2600s must lose quite a bit of braking power when they're full or something. Other than that I don't experience it that often unless I'm the one driving in TS on my laptop xD kinda hard to stop properly when your train keeps lagging out!

​Actually I think you can hear the track brake engaging in the Blue Line To O'Hare in Real Time video the CTA has up. Try listening when the train is pulling in to the LaSalle station.

• Upvote 1

​Actually I think you can hear the track brake engaging in the Blue Line To O'Hare in Real Time video the CTA has up. Try listening when the train is pulling in to the LaSalle station.

​Wow, you're right! Didn't seem like he/she needed them but I did hear them engage. It wasn't very long, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a good looping sample, but thanks for noticing that! I'll keep watching some of the videos and see if I spot any more locations where they engage.

EDIT: Jeez, it sounds like they're engaging at every stop in the subway. Not sure if it's the track brakes or just really bad mechanical brakes but the noise is right if I can get it to loop properly.

Another edit: I'm watching Blue Line to Forest Park, and as the train pulls into Belmont you can hear Mr. CTA say "This is Logan Square! This is a blue line train to O'Hare!" and then at Logan Square you can hear "This is Belmont! This is a blue line train to O'Hare!". It's like they used the wrong audio for that part of the video, because the sound also doesn't match the train's speed.

Edited by briman94

​Wow, you're right! Didn't seem like he/she needed them but I did hear them engage. It wasn't very long, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a good looping sample, but thanks for noticing that! I'll keep watching some of the videos and see if I spot any more locations where they engage.

EDIT: Jeez, it sounds like they're engaging at every stop in the subway. Not sure if it's the track brakes or just really bad mechanical brakes but the noise is right if I can get it to loop properly.

Another edit: I'm watching Blue Line to Forest Park, and as the train pulls into Belmont you can hear Mr. CTA say "This is Logan Square! This is a blue line train to O'Hare!" and then at Logan Square you can hear "This is Belmont! This is a blue line train to O'Hare!". It's like they used the wrong audio for that part of the video, because the sound also doesn't match the train's speed.

​Yeah, if they're doing it at every station, it might just be the yellow light friction brakes applying since the train slowed down. You could just take the noise of the brake engagement and combine it with a sound like the grinding of the track brakes.

I also noticed that the Forest Park video is off sync, as you mentioned, as well as the Red Line to 95th video.

​Yeah, if they're doing it at every station, it might just be the yellow light friction brakes applying since the train slowed down. You could just take the noise of the brake engagement and combine it with a sound like the grinding of the track brakes.

I also noticed that the Forest Park video is off sync, as you mentioned, as well as the Red Line to 95th video.

​It wasn't the regular friction brakes...it was very jerky and intermittent and happened when we were flying into Division, Grand, Chicago, and Western at like 20-30 MPH. I took the sound of a Pink line entering the Paulina connector (very flat grindy sound as it rounds the corner) and modulated it to sound like the track brakes, and it sounds pretty accurate for now.

​It wasn't the regular friction brakes...it was very jerky and intermittent and happened when we were flying into Division, Grand, Chicago, and Western at like 20-30 MPH. I took the sound of a Pink line entering the Paulina connector (very flat grindy sound as it rounds the corner) and modulated it to sound like the track brakes, and it sounds pretty accurate for now.

​just try recording two pieces of metal rubbing together at home (any metal).

​just try recording two pieces of metal rubbing together at home (any metal).

​The problem is the reverb...it has to have the right acoustics or it sounds artificial. The sounds I have now are fairly accurate and most people wouldn't know the difference.

​Have you started on the Blue Line yet?

​Not yet. I'm working on getting some of the generic scenery to look better (platforms, track, etc) and also working on the physics of the 5000-series a bit. I'll be working on the route again soon.

​Not yet. I'm working on getting some of the generic scenery to look better (platforms, track, etc) and also working on the physics of the 5000-series a bit. I'll be working on the route again soon.

​Cool! Everything looks amazing so far! Great job! If you can, could you add more videos to your video collection on the 1st page? That'd be cool if you can. 

​Cool! Everything looks amazing so far! Great job! If you can, could you add more videos to your video collection on the 1st page? That'd be cool if you can. 

​Yeah, I can try and record some more soon. What sorts of things would you like to see?

​Anything really, from short runs to full length runs would be cool! Thanks so much! :D

​As you wish!

Here's a Brownage run from Kimball to Midway, with occasional narration. I messed up transfer announcements a bit because I'm tired. The video's still processing at the time of writing, but should be up soon.

• Upvote 2

What happens when you get bored and can't find any more ways to procrastinate on homework? You end up driving a 32-car 5000-series train through the Loop, that's what!

It derailed at the end because there was so much momentum that even going a mere 20MPH was enough to throw the whole thing over the edge. See the description of the video for more info.

• Upvote 3

What happens when you get bored and can't find any more ways to procrastinate on homework? You end up driving a 32-car 5000-series train through the Loop, that's what!

It derailed at the end because there was so much momentum that even going a mere 20MPH was enough to throw the whole thing over the edge. See the description of the video for more info.

I hope you ready for judgement day when the NTSB and Emanuel slams you with so much crap!!! Just kidding but I couldn't resist laughing my but off! :PxD

• Upvote 2

I hope you ready for judgement day when the NTSB and Emanuel slams you with so much crap!!! Just kidding but I couldn't resist laughing my but off! :PxD

​I guess Tower 12, but I bet the speed limit turning through any Loop junction is 6 mph. Looks like a combination of the 1977 crash at Lake and Wabash (except it didn't go over the edge into the street) and last year's one at O'Hare. As Garmon suggests, can you recreate those?

​I guess Tower 12, but I bet the speed limit turning through any Loop junction is 6 mph. Looks like a combination of the 1977 crash at Lake and Wabash (except it didn't go over the edge into the street) and last year's one at O'Hare. As Garmon suggests, can you recreate those?

The speed limit signs say 10MPH, I was going twice that :P 

Also, funnily enough, I was on a train sim roleplay TeamSpeak server yesterday and somebody derailed their brown line at the exact location of that accident. I'll post pictures in a bit.

I was testing my Orange Line career scenario tonight and was startled when the ATC suddenly dropped me to 15MPH right after leaving Halsted inbound. Turns out the dispatcher was having me take quite an interesting route to get to Roosevelt...single tracking and then through the bypass track?!

EDIT: Hm, it seems it also had me take the inner curve at Tower 12. Switched me to the southbound track just south of Tower 12, went around the corner, then took me back over the crossover before HWL State/VanBuren back to the inner loop track. Honestly, Train Simulator...sometimes you just make no sense.

Edited by briman94

It derailed at the end because there was 

so much momentum

that even going a mere 20MPH was enough to throw the whole thing over the edge. See the description of the video for more info.

​Oh boy.... guess we need a whole station response for this one(at least pretty much).... good job, briman!!! O.o:PxD

• Upvote 1