CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

Any updates? How's the project going so far?

For a while I was unable to export anything on my laptop, so it's been a little slow. I recently updated to Windows 10 which screwed things up even further, so I reinstalled Windows and now I'm able to export again, but I've been too busy to actually work on it. Hopefully soon I will be able to actually get some time to catch up and work on the Orange Line with new assets/scenery.

• 1 month later...

The old one has been just "Train Simulator" for me for a few days now:

kfacF.png

In terms of the CTA project, I haven't worked on it a whole lot lately but there's a little more scenery now. I'm also working on placing car stop markers at all the platforms as per the "Ride the Rails" videos, so it'll be a little harder to do this. I have to create each car stop marker as a signal so that the CBTC system knows where to stop the train depending on train length, as I want to keep CBTC in for the final release as a proof-of-concept.

I realized that I've been placing the tracks too close together in parallel (and thus had to reduce the collision box on the trains a bit too far to prevent a derailment when two trains pass each other on a curve), so I'll either have to re-lay the entire Brown Line and Loop, or just lay the rest correctly and have minor transitions to the correct spacing.

And finally, I'm also in the process of adding class lights and the cluster lights by all the doors. I can't promise any dates for any of this stuff, but I'm still working on it!

• Upvote 2

im having a problem with this every time i take the Brown Line train between Rockwell and Western the game freezes and says saved to dump file then it says its not responding and gets out of it then after that none of the CTA scenario's work also I have no track or rails and sometimes just track and then it ends and the train is floating other then all of that I love it but I want it to work correct what should i do?  

Edited by 2400seriesrock
i forgot to add something

im having a problem with this every time i take the Brown Line train between Rockwell and Western the game freezes and says saved to dump file then it says its not responding and gets out of it then after that none of the CTA scenario's work also I have no track or rails and sometimes just track and then it ends and the train is floating other then all of that I love it but I want it to work correct what should i do?  

Well, first, take a deep breath every once and a while O.o commas are useful

Do you have the New York - New Haven route installed? It requires assets from that. Also, which route are you using? There are a couple variations. One build of the project had a bug with the "third rail off/on" triggers, which exist right at the place you were freezing up (at the crossing between Rockwell and Western), so make sure you have the latest version from here (build 21 is the latest at the time of writing) installed.

Edited by briman94

• 3 weeks later...

Well, first, take a deep breath every once and a while O.o commas are useful

Do you have the New York - New Haven route installed? It requires assets from that. Also, which route are you using? There are a couple variations. One build of the project had a bug with the "third rail off/on" triggers, which exist right at the place you were freezing up (at the crossing between Rockwell and Western), so make sure you have the latest version from here (build 21 is the latest at the time of writing) installed.

never mind I got it to work and I love it keep up the good work on it!

And now they have car numbers on the side (instead of just the front). Couldn't quite get that working in time for the last video.

(and because I'm sure nobody will notice it without me pointing it out, yes, those are the exact car numbers that were reportedly seen on the Orange Line last week)

Edited by briman94

Is this included in Version 21?

And now, the moment we've been waiting for is here! This is the last update video for a little while...have to finish the Orange Line now.

And now, the moment we've been waiting for is here! This is the last update video for a little while...have to finish the Orange Line now.

Is this included in Version 21?

Does version 23 include the Marking Lights and the Class Lights? And do you plan on making other series, like 2600's and 3200's?

22 is the latest, but yes, 22 includes marking/class lights. I do plan on making 2600s and 3200s, but since I'll have to change the entire model for the 2600s and change a lot of textures/physics/sounds for both, that's a lower priority.

If you ever want to continue the Pink Line I got pics to show you how they did it in the Chicago-Aurora game they show some stations that look like Clark/Lake and Polk and 18th and the "L" going over the BNSF and Metra tracks at 2 locations.  

I actually have that route, so I'm able to inspect how they did some of the scenery. Unfortunately their CTA scenery is static, i.e. the tracks aren't actually simulator tracks and the platforms don't have platform objects attached to them so I can't use any of it.

Edited by briman94

Build 23 is available at http://briman0094.com/rw_build for download. It has Midway, but not the yard. I'm procrastinating because yards are super annoying to build, and Midway's yard is elevated relative to the station, so it's super annoying.

New in this build:

• Tweaked/improved sounds a bit
  • Fixed a lot of script bugs in the 5000-series vehicles
  • Improved rail vehicle physics
  • Implemented "cruise-control"-styled ATO on the 5000-series vehicles, as per the specs for the 7000-series vehicles. Apparently this exists on the real 5000-series cars too.

Hey Briman, just wanted to let you know that the marking lights on the Orange Line are backwards. It goes Red-Yellow, but in the game it goes Yellow-Red. Just wanted to let you know.

Good eye! I must have typed the colors into the script wrong when I was reading chicago-l.org. I knew I had to have messed up one of them. Let me know if you notice any other irregularities.