CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

I would love to see a Rail Simulator game called Rail Simulator: CTA. All 8 Rail Lines completed, all series of railcars available from for nostalgia 2200's and the 2400's, 2600's, 3200's and 5000's. And if you complete certain tasks, you unlock bonus railcars like the 6000's and 2000's and maybe even the 1-50's and 5-50's.

Also, how about Bus Driver: CTA? Show Chi-Town a little love and put us behind the wheel of CTA's equipment. You can choose from 6400's, 1000's, 800's, 900's, 4000's, 4300's and 7900's to start. If you complete certain tasks, you unlock bonus buses like the 4400's, 5300's, 6000's, 1000's(GM), 7400's, 9000's, 9600's, 7000's, 7100's 7300's, 7500's, 9800's & 1600's, and maybe even the 500's.

I would actually pay to get these games if they're made with great attention to detail and actually have sounds that make you believe you're behind the wheel of these vehicles, not a generic diesel engine for all the buses, but the actual sounds from the engines that each bus series used.

• Upvote 3

Does anybody know of a forum member who is familiar with driving real 5000 series? I'm curious to see how accurate my modified 377 physics are. I know there are some discrepancies but I tried to get it as close as possible based on observations as a passenger.

I would love to see a Rail Simulator game called Rail Simulator: CTA. All 8 Rail Lines completed, all series of railcars available from for nostalgia 2200's and the 2400's, 2600's, 3200's and 5000's. And if you complete certain tasks, you unlock bonus railcars like the 6000's and 2000's and maybe even the 1-50's and 5-50's.

Also, how about Bus Driver: CTA? Show Chi-Town a little love and put us behind the wheel of CTA's equipment. You can choose from 6400's, 1000's, 800's, 900's, 4000's, 4300's and 7900's to start. If you complete certain tasks, you unlock bonus buses like the 4400's, 5300's, 6000's, 1000's(GM), 7400's, 9000's, 9600's, 7000's, 7100's 7300's, 7500's, 9800's & 1600's, and maybe even the 500's.

I would actually pay to get these games if they're made with great attention to detail and actually have sounds that make you believe you're behind the wheel of these vehicles, not a generic diesel engine for all the buses, but the actual sounds from the engines that each bus series used.

That would be frickin awesome I agree with everything you just said lol. So far the closest that's ever came to reality was when they had a game called rail fan for ps3 which the cta's brown line was featured. They way they did it was they used actual footage of the brown line 3200's featured of course but you were able to still play as a video game if that makes any sense. The game only sold in Japan I believe it was never sold in USA I actually bought the game off eBay for $120 lol. It was wort it though at the time.

That would be frickin awesome I agree with everything you just said lol. So far the closest that's ever came to reality was when they had a game called rail fan for ps3 which the cta's brown line was featured. They way they did it was they used actual footage of the brown line 3200's featured of course but you were able to still play as a video game if that makes any sense. The game only sold in Japan I believe it was never sold in USA I actually bought the game off eBay for $120 lol. It was wort it though at the time.

There is a very nice video of Railfan PS3 featuring the Brown Line. The company that made the game also made a promo video showing how they made the game, which showed them attaching a microphone under one of the 3200 series to record the sounds. I'm not sure where that video is though.

I still want that game, and my friend knows Japanese, so he could help me translate the menus.

which showed them attaching a microphone under one of the 3200 series to record the sounds.

I need to find a way to do that with the 5000s so my traction motor sounds don't sound so fake! I had to modulate the sounds included with RailWorks and it just doesn't sound right.

I would die a happy man if these were made. I don't need to say any more.

I need to find a way to do that with the 5000s so my traction motor sounds don't sound so fake! I had to modulate the sounds included with RailWorks and it just doesn't sound right.

They're pretty good as they are, but you're probably right about having to record them if you want to improve them since it would be easier than working on the existing sounds. Starting from scratch has its benefits.

They're pretty good as they are, but you're probably right about having to record them if you want to improve them since it would be easier than working on the existing sounds. Starting from scratch has its benefits.

Yeah...they're not awful but they sound a bit artificial. I wonder how supportive the CTA would be about helping me gather resources for this project. I'd like to be able to record the sounds from a real train as well as make some measurements on the train cars for assistance in modelling them instead of just using pictures. Learning how the LCD in the driver cab works would be neat too, because I could simulate that in the 5000s like they did for the Kawasaki M8s in TS2015.

Yeah...they're not awful but they sound a bit artificial. I wonder how supportive the CTA would be about helping me gather resources for this project. I'd like to be able to record the sounds from a real train as well as make some measurements on the train cars for assistance in modelling them instead of just using pictures. Learning how the LCD in the driver cab works would be neat too, because I could simulate that in the 5000s like they did for the Kawasaki M8s in TS2015.

Probably not, but since they tested them by using accelerometers in smart phones, you probably could take your smart phone on a train and get what you need with regard to acceleration and sounds.

Probably not, but since they tested them by using accelerometers in smart phones

Ha, really? I would have expected a bunch of fancy high-end testing equipment. I looked at the 7000 procurement spec for the acceleration (~2.7 mph/s, if I remember correctly) and I use a PID loop to make sure the train accelerates at that rate at max throttle, so I think it's fairly accurate. My phone's microphone is terrible so the sound quality would not be great if I tried getting sounds from it. I've considered going to Skokie or somewhere else with grade-level tracks (to reduce noise) and recording from alongside the tracks.

EDIT: I can't remember where I found the 7000 procurement document. The CTA website says "register to download" but I'm not sure if that's necessarily something they want everybody doing, especially since I'm obviously not proposing a bid...

..... I've considered going to Skokie or somewhere else with grade-level tracks (to reduce noise) and recording from alongside the tracks.

Inside and outside sounds are not the same. For that matter, the inside sound is not the same depending on whether the tracks are on solid fill or on an elevated structure.

But I don't know how technically correct your standard is.

Inside and outside sounds are not the same. For that matter, the inside sound is not the same depending on whether the tracks are on solid fill or on an elevated structure.

But I don't know how technically correct your standard is.

The tracks themselves have their own noise in Train Simulator, so I'd like to get the most "pure" form of the motor sounds as possible. I can edit the outside sounds to sound like they're inside the train, or take two recordings.

The tracks themselves have their own noise in Train Simulator, so I'd like to get the most "pure" form of the motor sounds as possible. I can edit the outside sounds to sound like they're inside the train, or take two recordings.

I was thinking more about how the motor sound bounces back, depending on whether there is fill sending it back up into the car, sort of like compare how a Purple Line train sounds north and south of Lawrence.

Obviously, if you are working on the Brown Line, there is a difference east or west of Western, as well as at the Belmont and Fullerton stations, where the track is on concrete.

There is a very nice video of Railfan PS3 featuring the Brown Line. The company that made the game also made a promo video showing how they made the game, which showed them attaching a microphone under one of the 3200 series to record the sounds. I'm not sure where that video is though.

I still want that game, and my friend knows Japanese, so he could help me translate the menus.

I actually still have it just gotta look for it you're more than welcome to have it If you like lol I don't play it anymore sadly lol.

I was thinking more about how the motor sound bounces back, depending on whether there is fill sending it back up into the car, sort of like compare how a Purple Line train sounds north and south of Lawrence.

True. RailWorks simulates reverb to a very small extent, but I don't think I'd be able to change the motor sounds depending on the track.

Download link is up! Let me know if something doesn't work with the distribution. It should work fine, but I've only tested it on one other computer. I'll post new versions every time I finish a major segment of the system. The current version (v1.0) contains the entire Brown Line as well as the Red Line between Belmont and Jackson (the Red Line is at ground level during construction, so you need to get into it using the siding south of Armitage...). Enjoy!

Download link is up! Let me know if something doesn't work with the distribution. It should work fine, but I've only tested it on one other computer. I'll post new versions every time I finish a major segment of the system. The current version (v1.0) contains the entire Brown Line as well as the Red Line between Belmont and Jackson (the Red Line is at ground level during construction, so you need to get into it using the siding south of Armitage...). Enjoy!

I was actually just watching your playthrough of Belmont to Grand and was puzzled by why the Red Line train goes to the right to enter the Subway portal rather than down in-between the Brown/Purple Elevated tracks south of Armitage until I saw this post. Do you think v2.0 will have this corrected? And the Red Line will be complete Howard to 95th by then?

I was actually just watching your playthrough of Belmont to Grand and was puzzled by why the Red Line train goes to the right to enter the Subway portal rather than down in-between the Brown/Purple Elevated tracks south of Armitage until I saw this post. Do you think v2.0 will have this corrected? And the Red Line will be complete Howard to 95th by then?

I figured that would confuse some people, lol. It's nearly impossible to place track and scenery below ground because the mouse clicks don't register correctly if the camera's underground, so I'm building the red line above ground and at the last minute I'm going to select-all and drag it down. I built the gradient at Armitage with what appears to be the correct elevation, but because the red line is above ground currently, it wouldn't connect properly, so for now I made a really screwy ramp down off of the siding at Armitage. That will be fixed as soon as I get the full State Street subway done. v2.0 will have the whole red line from Howard to 95th with the proper, correct subway portals, but I'll probably release an interim version with the north side (red, purple, yellow) before then.

I figured that would confuse some people, lol. It's nearly impossible to place track and scenery below ground because the mouse clicks don't register correctly if the camera's underground, so I'm building the red line above ground and at the last minute I'm going to select-all and drag it down. I built the gradient at Armitage with what appears to be the correct elevation, but because the red line is above ground currently, it wouldn't connect properly, so for now I made a really screwy ramp down off of the siding at Armitage. That will be fixed as soon as I get the full State Street subway done. v2.0 will have the whole red line from Howard to 95th with the proper, correct subway portals, but I'll probably release an interim version with the north side (red, purple, yellow) before then.

This is turning out AMAZING!!! Just curious, when would you start the Blue Line?

BusHunter: I saw your question come through in my e-mail but it looks like you deleted the post, so I assume you figured it out. To answer the question for others: to download it, click the file in the Drive folder and then click the little arrow button at the top of the screen. It used to be better labeled and then Google changed the layout and hid it... <_<

This is turning out AMAZING!!! Just curious, when would you start the Blue Line?

Not sure! I'll probably do it after I finish the Red, Yellow, and Purple lines. I'm doing the North Side next because I need a break from working on the subway...tunnels are hard work!

Not sure! I'll probably do it after I finish the Red, Yellow, and Purple lines. I'm doing the North Side next because I need a break from working on the subway...tunnels are hard work!

Wait till you get to the Dan Ryan(Red), Kennedy & I190(Blue) and Eisenhower(Blue) portions of the 'L' lines, briman. That'll be a challenge to make too, I'm sure because you got to integrate two tracks running between a major expressway.