CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

Aaaaaand the Red Line is completely underground where it should be! The junctions south of Roosevelt still suck, but the rest looks pretty good! The subway portal south of Armitage is correct, too. You can run a train from Lawrence to Chinatown and back. I also finished the Orange line as far as 35th/Archer.

Does anybody know what part of the platform the train stops at for Loyola? It's long enough to hold at least two trains end-to-end. I'm assuming they stop at the far end of the platform in the direction they're going but I'm not sure.

Apparently the Northbound-Howard trains board at the south end, while the Southbound-95th trains use the north end of the platform.

Does anybody know what part of the platform the train stops at for Loyola? It's long enough to hold at least two trains end-to-end. I'm assuming they stop at the far end of the platform in the direction they're going but I'm not sure.

Inbound trains (95th) on the north end and outbound trains (Howard) on the south end of the station.

Apparently the Northbound-Howard trains board at the south end, while the Southbound-95th trains use the north end of the platform.

Inbound trains (95th) on the north end and outbound trains (Howard) on the south end of the station.

Well that's completely the opposite of what I was expecting! I've always wondered why it was so long though...

Well that's completely the opposite of what I was expecting! I've always wondered why it was so long though...

Accessibility portion to the station in the middle, and usually a platform packed with passengers.

Apparently the ends were swapped to what the above 2 said to make it easier for the operator to inspect the side when closing the doors, since the platform is on a curve.

chicago-l.org has the history here.

Because of the way the curve is positioned, it's not safe for a train on the opposite side of the platform to unload passengers due to the fact that it's not leveled and wide gaps between the platform and trains. Also the station is extremely narrow.

I also updated the repo with new sounds and physics. I disabled the thing that keeps the speed constant at 10% throttle....it didn't feel "CTA-ey" enough. 10% throttle now accelerates no matter what speed the train is at. I also added the signature CTA wind whistle because that was the only thing I could focus on while riding the orange line and I wanted it to sound authentic :lol:! It's more prominent in the 3200s but you hear it in the 5000s sometimes too.

Makin' progress on the train model! Fixed the windows, added a roof. Next is the hardest part...the cab and the end-caps. Doors will be last because they have to be animated.

[Pretty picture!]

Nice work so far!

...I also added the signature CTA wind whistle because that was the only thing I could focus on while riding the orange line and I wanted it to sound authentic :lol:! It's more prominent in the 3200s but you hear it in the 5000s sometimes too.

At first I thought you were referring to the train's horn/whistle. :ph34r:

That's one of the things I remember when riding on the Green Line when they had the 2400s. Those things would whistle like there's no tomorrow, and it sounded kind of cool.

Nice work so far!

At first I thought you were referring to the train's horn/whistle. :ph34r:

That's one of the things I remember when riding on the Green Line when they had the 2400s. Those things would whistle like there's no tomorrow, and it sounded kind of cool.

It really adds a sense of speed. It feels like you're going faster when you can hear the wind whistling by!

Video from Midway to the Loop is up! Loop back to Midway is uploading right now. For some reason it slightly cropped the video, so you can't see the station names at the bottom. Sorry!EDIT: Loop to Midway is up now!

Very good indeed! Just to give you heads up, the speed limits are 15, 25, 35, and 55 mph. It's 25 before and after Midway (Before the grade coming from Midway and after the grade arriving to Midway). It's 35 after going up the grades between Western and 35th/Archer and the curve before and after Western. Everywhere else between the Junction (leading to the Red Line) and Pulaski is always 55. Other than that, you're work is very exemplary and organized. Are you going to have the signals installed soon?

Very good indeed! Just to give you heads up, the speed limits are 15, 25, 35, and 55 mph. It's 25 before and after Midway (Before the grade coming from Midway and after the grade arriving to Midway). It's 35 after going up the grades between Western and 35th/Archer and the curve before and after Western. Everywhere else between the Junction (leading to the Red Line) and Pulaski is always 55. Other than that, you're work is very exemplary and organized. Are you going to have the signals installed soon?

Thanks for the info! I tried to remember the speed limits when I rode it a few days ago, but I missed some. I'm going to try the signals soon (you may have noticed a couple in the loop in the second video) but I'm not sure where all they go right now. I think I'm going to figure out a way of surveying info like that while I'm on the train (an app or something) so I don't have to rely as much on memory and pictures.
  • Upvote 1

You know what I could do (this would only work with the 2600s as they have the speed indicator on the right side of the cab) is get some sort of GPS waypointing app for my phone and waypoint the speed changes on the ATC indicator. That would capture slow zones, but I could look at the slow zone map to figure out what parts are slow zones and what parts are actual speed limit changes. I could also waypoint signals.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info! I tried to remember the speed limits when I rode it a few days ago, but I missed some. I'm going to try the signals soon (you may have noticed a couple in the loop in the second video) but I'm not sure where all they go right now. I think I'm going to figure out a way of surveying info like that while I'm on the train (an app or something) so I don't have to rely as much on memory and pictures.

That may be a wise move. I wonder if you have the tools to create the signs of the named stations and the signs with the letter i.e. "M" for Midway.

You know what I could do (this would only work with the 2600s as they have the speed indicator on the right side of the cab) is get some sort of GPS waypointing app for my phone and waypoint the speed changes on the ATC indicator. That would capture slow zones, but I could look at the slow zone map to figure out what parts are slow zones and what parts are actual speed limit changes. I could also waypoint signals.

That may also be a wise move.

That may be a wise move. I wonder if you have the tools to create the signs of the named stations and the signs with the letter i.e. "M" for Midway.

I'm going to figure out how to make basic scenery assets next before I finish the Red Line, so I think that would be possible. I'm also at the point where all the train model needs is end caps before it can look decent in-game. It won't have an interior or any animations but at least the cars will be the right length and color.