5000-series Vandalism

buildingabetterchicago

I drove by this near the 95th yard this morning. Someone tagged the entire train!!

How does someone even get away with this crap!?!?

uy.jpg

What the crap?!?! Is that a 5000?! I hope the culprit gets caught and gets lifetime in jail, after having to clean it all off by themself >:(

Ffffffffffffffffffffff. That thing is gonna look like crap after it gets cleaned off. Culprit should have to pay for all 8 cars! May be that can be his bail!

Unless done elsewhere,hard to think that even if the guy did not fry himself, it wasn't under security camera.

Unless done elsewhere,hard to think that even if the guy did not fry himself, it wasn't under security camera.

Yeah, I think (well, hope) they probably have their yards under pretty close monitoring after the Forest Park yard schenanigans with the runaway train and the tagging in the Linden yard.

It would be hard to create that large of a tag "elsewhere", and even if the guys (presumably plural) did, then surely there are cameras there too. Most likely this was done overnight and the train hasn't moved since then, since I highly doubt CTA would put this train in service. Even with smaller tags they clean it off before the train goes in service to avoid giving the criminals the publicity they want.

At first I thought it was one of those rewrapped cars like #5331. Probably the guys were wearing CTA uniforms and no one would be the wiser. I hate to ask how much paint they used.  They must have took up a small collection to pay for it. I've seen taggers tag and then photograph the tags. They are fanatics at what they do. They really need to get a photoshop program, they could save alot of money on paint and they wouldn't have to risk going to jail. Lol!!

Twelve CTA 5000 series were damaged. Halloween night. Today's Tribune,  Monday, 11/09/2015 has an article by Jon Hilkevitch. The article questioned how so much damage could be done without being detected. The reason is quite surprising. 

To Hilkevitch: Thanks for letting us know you read this forum. Please consider the underlying reason behind why this incident happened. Everyone would have been better off had you not written that article, or at least not included the "surprising reason" the damage was not detected earlier.

Also, I am sure the info about Loop Link will be of interest to our forum members.

To Hilkevitch: Thanks for letting us know you read this forum. Please consider the underlying reason behind why this incident happened. Everyone would have been better off had you not written that article, or at least not included the "surprising reason" the damage was not detected earlier.

Also, I am sure the info about Loop Link will be of interest to our forum members.

At least he gave credit, but used the wrong url.

However, I wonder why some people here think that censorship is the answer to security problems. The same thing came up with reference to the Studebaker car. It's up to the owners to secure their property. The first gang didn't need Hilkevitch to tell them that there aren't cameras in that yard. Note I raised the camera issue when the incident was posted here.

Edited by Busjack

At least he gave credit, but used the wrong url.

However, I wonder why some people here think that censorship is the answer to security problems. The same thing came up with reference to the Studebaker car. It's up to the owners to secure their property. The first gang didn't need Hilkevitch to tell them that there aren't cameras in that yard. Note I raised the camera issue when the incident was posted here.

I suppose you're right. I guess I wasn't thinking of it as censorship, but rather making it harder for would-be criminals to access the information. Yes, the tagging crew (not "gang") that did this probably knew there were no cameras at 98th, but surely there are others who are considering such crimes that didn't know until Hilkevitch spilled the beans. Whoever is responsible will be celebrating when they find out their crime made the paper, if they haven't already. Also, as BusHunter noted in the 2200s thread, there probably are a few taggers reading this forum.

Be real....you think that the criminals don't know which yards are with cameras. I still would one or more to tell us WHY they think their actions are justifiable. 

I think the highly organized crews such as the one that must have done this already know. But there are still many "small-time" taggers itching to compete with the big boys, who might not know such a detail. And I second that challenge to taggers to try to justify their actions.

What the crap?!?! Is that a 5000?! I hope the culprit gets caught and gets lifetime in jail, after having to clean it all off by themself >:(

And we just got the cars. This is why we can't have nice things. Life in jail is too harsh, I say have the clean all of the piss and puke and everything else off the cars for the next 10 years. and when I say clean, I better be able to eat off the floor! lol

I think the highly organized crews such as the one that must have done this already know. But there are still many "small-time" taggers itching to compete with the big boys, who might not know such a detail. And I second that challenge to taggers to try to justify their actions.

The first thing one has to figure is that this yard is in the median of a depressed expressway. One doesn't just walk into it,and if they crossed the expressway at grade they risked being run over or a drive by shooting, and then would have to jump the jersey barrier and fence and risk being electrocuted  (something the security guards apparently don't want to risk) Are the shop or train crew doors unsecured? These perps, and any future perps, have to know a lot more than what they are going to read in the Tribune.

The first thing one has to figure is that this yard is in the median of a depressed expressway. One doesn't just walk into it,and if they crossed the expressway at grade they risked being run over or a drive by shooting, and then would have to jump the jersey barrier and fence and risk being electrocuted  (something the security guards apparently don't want to risk) Are the shop or train crew doors unsecured? These perps, and any future perps, have to know a lot more than what they are going to read in the Tribune.

Infiltrating any rail yard is going to have challenges, some more than others. Knowing that there are no cameras at 98th, one can make a more "informed" decision on whether it is worth the risk of tagging there as opposed to anywhere else. Of course, the Tribune and chitransit.org are not the only sources of such information.

Now that the secret is out regarding the lack of cameras, I wonder whether there will be more attempts to tag trains at 98th, or less because of fear of getting caught. Will there be any increased security as a result of this?

The other thing I wonder is now that the secret is out regarding the lack of cameras, whether there will be more attempts to tag trains at 98th, and if so, whether there will be increased security to catch them.

Which gets down to whether Brian Steele is there to make excuses or someone in Rail Operations gets the message to do something.

And maybe he should be reading chitransit.org.

Probably the taggers did cross the expressway but at 2 in the morning when there are no cars, or simply just drive up to the shoulder and get out and climb the fence with the car as cover. Once in the yard if dressed as CTA workers one wouldn't know them from a legit employee. The cars stand a full 12 feet or so off the ground, so they needed ladders, I doubt they had a platform to use for the full length of the train. They would at least be a team of 4, possibly up to 8 as it would take too long to do the whole train otherwise. Maybe they need a roving security car in the yards or along the shoulder, but the problem is that these guys will use trains for their cover, so it really needs a foot search. I don't even know if a camera would help, but it may be ingenious to activate cameras along the exteriors of the cars themselves, this way they could see unauthorized activity. I wonder if the CPD can view cameras inside the car, can they view the exterior. That's seems to be the best deterrent, but it would have to prove itself viable before it stops.

The concern here (and this goes for Metra too) is all the bogus concern for "your safety" regarding suspicious packages, backpacks, people, etc. The agencies can't protect their own equipment from unsophisticated taggers...how the hell do you expect them to protect against sophisticated terrorists ??

I remember you mentioning that with regard to Metra Electric cars that were tagged. It can't take that long to plant a bomb under a train, compared how long it must take to paint an 8-car train.

• Upvote 2

I remember you mentioning that with regard to Metra Electric cars that were tagged. It can't take that long to plant a bomb under a train, compared how long it must take to paint an 8-car train.

That's my point exactly, but the politicans in control want you to believe that they have your "safety" as their biggest concern. BS !!

The concern here (and this goes for Metra too) is all the bogus concern for "your safety" regarding suspicious packages, backpacks, people, etc. The agencies can't protect their own equipment from unsophisticated taggers...how the hell do you expect them to protect against sophisticated terrorists ??

Your point is well taken, and I don't condone vandalism, but an entire train being tagged is not the work of the unsophisticated. It definitely requires extensive knowledge, preparation, and equipment to pull it off.

• Upvote 1