5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

They will actually be rotated to every single line (including the Yellow Line) in the CTA system during the revenue test period. When actual deliveries begin, who knows where they'll go?

During the testing, I think the new trains will run an 8 car consist on the Red, Brown, Blue, and Orange Linew (possibly splitting into 2 4 car consists off-peak on the Brown and Orange Lines), 2 4 car consists on the Pink Line. The Green and Purple Lines could see 1 6 car consist with the Yellow Line concurrently running a 2 car consist.

I only want to ride a 5000 series train only to say I rode one. I'm not a fan of longitudinal seating at all. I don't like them on the NF 4150 and abouve, and I won't like them on the train.

I still believe once the order starts getting filled, the Blue Line is the obvious choice to see them first, lest we start a new More Train Moves thread.

During the testing, I think the new trains will run an 8 car consist on the Red, Brown, Blue, and Orange Linew (possibly splitting into 2 4 car consists off-peak on the Brown and Orange Lines), 2 4 car consists on the Pink Line. The Green and Purple Lines could see 1 6 car consist with the Yellow Line concurrently running a 2 car consist.

I only want to ride a 5000 series train only to say I rode one. I'm not a fan of longitudinal seating at all. I don't like them on the NF 4150 and abouve, and I won't like them on the train.

I still believe once the order starts getting filled, the Blue Line is the obvious choice to see them first, lest we start a new More Train Moves thread.

Speaking of Longitudinal seating, I was in NYC the last five days and got to ride on brand new R160 cars. They truly are the "Cadillac's" of subway cars. Things like:

1. Flexible Information Notice Display

2. Air Ride Suspension

3. Far better automated announcements

4. Much more refreshing interiors

To name a few, will make these rail cars better than any car Chicago will ever get.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Longitudinal seating, I was in NYC the last five days and got to ride on brand new R160 cars. They truly are the "Cadillac's" of subway cars. Things like:

1. Flexible Information Notice Display

2. Air Ride Suspension

3. Far better automated announcements

4. Much more refreshing interiors

To name a few, will make these rail cars better than any car Chicago will ever get.

Were you riding a "letter" route or a "number" route?

Automated announcements??? Wow...when I was in there in December the only thing automated was the occasional "Staaaand clear of the closing doors!" thing; the train operators were still mumbling the stops, if you were lucky. FWIW, a couple of years ago I was on a subway train in New York that had automated announcements; I believe it was the #1. I switched over to a #2 and there was a different voice doing the announcements. Kinda liked that -- it gets old hearing Mr. CTA on every single train line...

I like the "bowling alley" type seating. I think its refreshing change in CTA rail transit. I didnt like when we lost the railfan seat to the enclosed cabs, that was a bad deal!! But the bowling type seating reminds me of when I rode the "Redbirds" and other NY subway cars. Im looking forward to seeing them enter service on the Blue Line, but dont get me wrong I will certainly miss the 2200s.

I hate the longitudinal seating...had to put up with that when I lived in Jersey and took the subway in New York...if you sit, you'll get people's butts and crotches in your face...if you stand, you'll end up with your butt or crotch in someone else's. Yeah, more standing room, but less sitting room.

Automated announcements??? Wow...when I was in there in December the only thing automated was the occasional "Staaaand clear of the closing doors!" thing; the train operators were still mumbling the stops, if you were lucky. FWIW, a couple of years ago I was on a subway train in New York that had automated announcements; I believe it was the #1. I switched over to a #2 and there was a different voice doing the announcements. Kinda liked that -- it gets old hearing Mr. CTA on every single train line...

Yes, All of the R142's and above (Delivered 1999-2010) have automated announcements.

You were likely on the 2 if you heard automated announcements as the 1 still operates with older cars. Unlike Chicago where CTA man does all automated annoucements, A female does station, train route and connection information, and a male does the door annoucements and service issue annoucements.

Well personally I think cta should've kept the seats the same as the older fleet espically like the 2400 series with the seats facing the window I mean that's like the best seat if you're train riding. The way the seats are on the older rail cars are what seperates Chicago from any other city cause theyre all basically the same but we stand out from the rest of them....well we used to but hey either way im excited about the 5000 series sure Ill miss the 2200series as well but they had a really good run. I also like the 5000's because they remind me of the classic 6000 series. The 5000 series were designed to look like the 3200's but the 3200 were designed to look like the 6000s.

• Upvote 1

I'm the opposite, when I've been in New York it kinda felt like I was stuck in the middle of a husband-and-wife tagteam of announcements. The female voice kind of sounds like someone's 4th grade teacher. Though I do get a kick out of "Staaand clear of the clo-sing doe-ers, please!" It's very dramatic.

They might be testing the new cars on the Blue line already. I heard a strange sounding set of cars heading Nbound between Western and California at 6:55 tonight. I ran out of my garage and just caught a glimpse, it had "out of service" sign and was moving a little slow (35-40mph or so). The sound was much quieter and very different than what I'm used to.

Does anyone know if they have started testing? I'm thinking about setting a video camera up to record all the trains that go by.

You are probably right regarding the testing on the Blue Line. Approximately 11AM today a four car consist was spotted heading West just West of the Rosemont yards. It seemed to almost come to a halt and than pick up speed several times. Was only able to see the number of the last car (5003) because I was a not driving and the person turned turned off at the car rental exit.

I'm the opposite, when I've been in New York it kinda felt like I was stuck in the middle of a husband-and-wife tagteam of announcements. The female voice kind of sounds like someone's 4th grade teacher. Though I do get a kick out of "Staaand clear of the clo-sing doe-ers, please!" It's very dramatic.

I think the tag team idea works. I wish we had it on the buses here. Mr. CTA and Ms Pace should get together. He announces all of the stops and PSAs and she says "Stop Requested" when someone pulls the cord to request a stop. Too many times the chime before the announced stop and the chime to request a stop sound so close together that our bus drivers pass up stops where people clearly have pulled the cord, and the Stop Requested sign that flashes is not in the drivers view. We do have Mr. Metra make announcements and announces stops along the routes and Ms Metra lets us know what train we are on with a summary of stops before we depart at the beginning of the trip. Every once in a while they switch up on a given train. I believe a different voice is an attention getter. On our CTA L trains I have just about memorized what PSAs are coming with what stops and as a result, I have tuned him out completely. I think your fourth grade teacher does our announcements in the CTA stations; "ATtention customers, an inbound train toward the loop, will be arriving shortly."

I think your fourth grade teacher does our announcements in the CTA stations; "ATtention customers, an inbound train toward the loop, will be arriving shortly."

Ha, I always called that lady "Janine", as in Janine from Ghostbusters. Something about the way she makes the announcement... "Ah-tention custahmuhs..." The new voice though... that's my 4th grade teacher. Although now that I live off the Blue Line, I never hear those announcements anymore.

I think your fourth grade teacher does our announcements in the CTA stations; "ATtention customers, an inbound train toward the loop, will be arriving shortly."

Okay, is it me, or does that lady actually sound more New York than Chicago?? (take it from someone who lived in Jersey for eight years and had to put up with that accent!)

"Attention, customuhz......an inbound tchrain....t'awd the Loop...will be arriving showuhtly..."

I don't get how when she was replaced by the airport lady ("May I have your attention please." -- that lady -- who says the question in the form of a statement.) that people lamented the loss of a Chicago accent...that I always heard as New York.

BTW...thinking of trying to get a voice-over job. I have two things going for me: 1) I had a brief radio career, and 2) I think I can convince someone that I'm Mr. CTA. :)

Okay, is it me, or does that lady actually sound more New York than Chicago?? (take it from someone who lived in Jersey for eight years and had to put up with that accent!)

"Attention, customuhz......an inbound tchrain....t'awd the Loop...will be arriving showuhtly..."

It's not just you... that pretty much exactly what I just said. tongue.gif

Ha, I always called that lady "Janine", as in Janine from Ghostbusters. Something about the way she makes the announcement... "Ah-tention custahmuhs..." The new voice though... that's my 4th grade teacher. Although now that I live off the Blue Line, I never hear those announcements anymore.

Now that you mention it, she does sound like Janine. Those are on alot of the outlying blue line stops especially Harlem, Cumberland and Rosemont on the O'Hare branch. I believe from Jeff south there are no platform announcements from anyone. There may be some on the Forest Park branch although I'm not sure on that. There's another lady platform announcer on the CTA (the country woman) that announces on the newer stops (I always hear her at Western/Brown line) where they have done rehabs in the last few years. I think she's also at Polk/Pink Line. I actually enjoy hearing her talk with her accent. It sounds friendly. Kind of reminds me of when you take a road trip south of the Ohio river and everyone gets really friendly with you (It's different than up here) with there accent and slang telling you "bye you all" It's kind of like Mayberry hits the CTA.

Guest ctafan630

While on the IRM Snowflake Special railfan train yesterday, there was an announcement that the CTA would begin testing an 8 car 5000 train in revenue service begining in April. The testing would begin on the red line.

Guest ctafan630

The woman voice on the Orange line sounds like Fran Drescher.

Here are some pictures of pair 5009-5010 in the Skokie Yard yesterday.

I have to say I like those new graphics on them. I saw them about over a month ago while at the Pace North Shore garage.

While on the IRM Snowflake Special railfan train yesterday, there was an announcement that the CTA would begin testing an 8 car 5000 train in revenue service begining in April. The testing would begin on the red line.

What cars did they use on the IRM special yesterday?