5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Found an interesting catch while watching last week's episode of Chicago P.D.

It involved a chase scene on the Washington/Wells platform. The characters also ran through several cars of a #5000 series purple line train... including numbers 5641 and 5642. Attached is a photo from the scene... look closely at the map!

Chicago_PD_Orange_Line.thumb.jpg.cedf223

Perhaps the orange line maps were left on the trains before/during/after filming? 

• Upvote 3

It involved a chase scene on the Washington/Wells platform. The characters also ran through several cars of a #5000 series purple line train... including numbers 5641 and 5642. Attached is a photo from the scene... look closely at the map!

Perhaps the orange line maps were left on the trains before/during/after filming? 

Kinda funny how that scene ended by the 13th Street Portal! There was another scene in the previous 3 episodes of them trying to prevent a girl from shooting herself and anybody else while this on #5675-76 @ Kimball. No wonder why it took so long for the last 40 cars to arrive!!! (sarcasm) LOL

• Upvote 1

You would think that if they cared about authenticity, if it was supposed to be a Purple Line train, it would have had an Red Purple Yellow sign. Third Rail: Did you see a Linden destination sign inside the cars?

I was on 5657-8 on a Yellow Line free ride and it had the RPY signs.

You would think that if they cared about authenticity, if it was supposed to be a Purple Line train, it would have had an Red Purple Yellow sign. Third Rail: Did you see a Linden destination sign inside the cars?

I was on 5657-8 on a Yellow Line free ride and it had the RPY signs.

The destination sign was "Loop" (Purple).

The destination sign was "Loop" (Purple).

Would have to be an outside shot, but then I remember the Bob Newhart show where a 6000 approached, but the shot of him sitting down in a car was of a 2000. He got off at Isabella, but the apartment building was at Sheridan and Thorndale. So much for continuity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PLEhiOeVA

• Upvote 3

With all lines except Blue, Brown, and Orange now using 5000-series cars exclusively, and with all 5000-series cars now equipped with multicolor LED signs, I think it is time that the images on Wikipedia should be updated to reflect the latest rolling stock.

The Pink Line article, as well as the main article for the 5000-series cars, should feature a Pink Line 5000-series train with multicolor LED signs.  There should also be images of 5000-series trains with multicolor LED signs for the Green, Red, Purple, and Yellow Lines for each associated article.  The Green Line article still has a 2400-series train as the image, which have since been retired and have actually been off the Green Line since 2013.

If anyone can help out here, please upload your images to Wikimedia Commons where I can use them in the articles.

Edited by Pink Jazz

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe now with deliveries complete, CTA realizes it doesn't need 550-plus of them to operate Red, Yellow and Purple. 

BusHunter passed around some numbers that based on my calculations, could support sending up to 90 to Midway. However, other than these sporadic sightings, there hasn't been any indication of CTA's intent to do so, nor why it couldn't have already.

BusHunter passed around some numbers that based on my calculations, could support sending up to 90 to Midway. However, other than these sporadic sightings, there hasn't been any indication of CTA's intent to do so, nor why it couldn't have already.

They have done so already...once ¬¬

They apparently still have the Orange Line signs in there too, so it makes me think they are just waiting for trained drivers and then they'll shove a bunch down there. The one run that used the 5000s started as a charter, so they had a driver capable of driving the Orange Line in a 5000-series consist and obviously wanted to use it for service, but they don't have enough regular drivers yet for that to happen on a normal day.

That's my theory, anyways.

Edited by briman94

They have done so already...once ¬¬

They apparently still have the Orange Line signs in there too, so it makes me think they are just waiting for trained drivers and then they'll shove a bunch down there. The one run that used the 5000s started as a charter, so they had a driver capable of driving the Orange Line in a 5000-series consist and obviously wanted to use it for service, but they don't have enough regular drivers yet for that to happen on a normal day.

That's my theory, anyways.

Might be the theory, but I figure they could have trained them in the past 4 months.

Maybe the question goes back to that both the 2200s and 2400s were retired way later than predicted.Maybe there was justification to get the count up to 1340 or so, but not the current count.

Again, maybe the Skokie Shops mess had something to do with it, but one would think some very long pulls of cars should head to the dead track soon.

Somebody on Facebook told me that they're removing seats so they can put 55-gallon drums of deicer where the seats go instead of the small jugs of deicer they normally use. Apparently they will be loading them on with a forklift, which seems...difficult to say the least. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

Kind of makes you wonder, if they can remove the seats for deicer equipment, what else can they do to convert the seats into a conventional seating arrangement, but i bet since the federal government applied funds towards the purchase of the 5000s, the cta may have to keep the seating configuration like this for the foreseeable feature, probably under a provision within the contract and if that they change the seating configuration, the cta may have to forfeit some or if all the federal subsidies provided in manufacturing the cars. 

5 hours ago, Juniorz said:

Kind of makes you wonder, if they can remove the seats for deicer equipment, what else can they do to convert the seats into a conventional seating arrangement, but i bet since the federal government applied funds towards the purchase of the 5000s, the cta may have to keep the seating configuration like this for the foreseeable feature, probably under a provision within the contract and if that they change the seating configuration, the cta may have to forfeit some or if all the federal subsidies provided in manufacturing the cars. 

I can't see how the feds enter into it unless they think they are going to get a federal grant to do the work, which they won't. It isn't like they want to scrap the cars. They did change the seats in the 2200s (unfortunately).

I'm sure the real issue is the size of the hvac box.

On November 26, 2015 at 8:43:24 AM, Busjack said:

They did change the seats in the 2200s (unfortunately).

Someone tell "he who doesn't read my posts" that changing the seats means more then "Padded seats were replaced by fiberglass seat frames and inserts."  source: ChicagoL.org......  Changing the seating in the 5000s, as evident in the several posts above, means changing the supports and rearranging the seating area which would alter the framework in the subfloors.  Mucho dinero!  

Remember these?

P1030795.jpg

P1030808.jpg

27 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

The Orange Line map saga continues. Took these photos yesterday evening, turns out it was the same train from the Chicago P.D. episode..

But they certainly weren't on the train on Hill Street Blues (channels 23.2 and 26.4).

On 11/29/2015, 7:37:52, chicagopcclcar said:

Someone tell "he who doesn't read my posts" that changing the seats means more then "Padded seats were replaced by fiberglass seat frames and inserts."  source: ChicagoL.org......  Changing the seating in the 5000s, as evident in the several posts above, means changing the supports and rearranging the seating area which would alter the framework in the subfloors.  Mucho dinero!  

Remember these?

P1030795.jpg

P1030808.jpg

You don't have to remember the Max Capacity cars, they are still there!! (Although the decals are gone.)

12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Someone tell "he who doesn't read my posts" that changing the seats means more then "Padded seats were replaced by fiberglass seat frames and inserts."

Well, since you acquiesced to someone's demands, tell him that there is a difference between 2200s and 5000s.

59 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Well, since you acquiesced to someone's demands, tell him that there is a difference between 2200s and 5000s.

You were right...there is a difference between the 2200s and the 5000s, but that was not what they were talking about.  They were talking about replacing the present 5000 series seating and replacing with more 2 by 2 seating.  That replacing would interfere with some of the car body components.