5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

An interesting idea. They have the same route car cards anyways. I wonder how hard it would be, although from an outsider standpoint it doesn't sound like a difficult idea to execute.

Eww. When I rode the Red Line in December the car I was in didn't seem too bad. At least the people onboard had trust in the seats they were sitting in, instead of standing due to gross stuff.

Youre definately right on the whole 'as an outsider point' but i still believe it shouldn't be too difficult compared to pre 2013 where each red purple and yellow each had a different series assigned and different car series. Now Howard is all 5000s with a hybrid map of all 3 lines but yet surprisingly purple gets the same 5400 ranged cars. 

5 hours ago, briman94 said:

My point was that all the 5000s, even the oldest ones, are quieter than the older cars. They're just built better: lighter materials, more modern construction techniques.

The door edges on the 5000s interlock with each other, instead of butting up to each other on all previous series.

That makes for a quieter ride.

• Upvote 1

On March 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM, artthouwill said:

Showing age?  I think 5514 is relatively new compared to,  say 5170.

Wrong use of words on my part...

9 hours ago, briman94 said:

The last three had basically the same door mechanism, whereas the 5000s are quite different. They're sort of spring-loaded towards the middle of the car but if there's someone leaning on them or a vacuum on the outside they'll push towards the outside of the car and hit the track. Completely normal operation, not indicative of a problem.

What do you mean "drags"? It could have been that a brake was stuck. The squealing could also have just been the ice scrapers. 5514 is definitely not old; less than a year to be precise.

It could be a combination of both, didn't think of the ice scrapers aspect... the squealing just is so loud, it sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

4 hours ago, ajm522 said:

It could be a combination of both, didn't think of the ice scrapers aspect... the squealing just is so loud, it sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

If it sounds like nails on a chalkboard that's the ice scrapers guaranteed. Stuck brakes usually don't make much noise.

• Upvote 2

On March 3, 2016 at 7:39 PM, Sam92 said:

Youre definately right on the whole 'as an outsider point' but i still believe it shouldn't be too difficult compared to pre 2013 where each red purple and yellow each had a different series assigned and different car series. Now Howard is all 5000s with a hybrid map of all 3 lines but yet surprisingly purple gets the same 5400 ranged cars. 

I don't know of any reason why they shouldn't mix the cars then, but they still do. I wonder if there's an inside reason why.

On March 3, 2016 at 10:41 PM, ajm522 said:

...didn't think of the ice scrapers aspect... the squealing just is so loud, it sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

The sleet scrapers always make that sound, and it's LOUD. In 2013 I filmed a couple of trains at Midway with their scrapers down since there was snow in the forecast. You can hear the scrapers at various points. It's a really harsh sound, even at slow speeds. Fortunately my camera adjusts the sound so that it's not as harsh in the video, but in real life I'd go as far as to say it's a horrendous amount of noise for your ears. Any train with sleet scrapers in the down position will be that bad unfortunately.

5400's are technically assigned to Linden Yard, even though many end up at Howard Yard. Evanston cars have always been segregated from mainline cars, going back to 1970's when Evanston had 1-50's, low 6000's and 6600's while North-South had basically high 6100's thru 6500's.

Evanston has always had its own segregated fleet.

1 hour ago, andrethebusman said:

going back to 1970's when Evanston had 1-50's

But until 1974, that was because of the trolley wire.

The question is whether CTA is still starting trains with 2 cars at Howard, and then coupling 4 more cars at Linden. The last time I was there, a 6 car train backed into Howard station (around 3:20 p.m.) for the northbound trip.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Juniorz said:

Could be a telling tale of what's to occur next week

Only thing that seems relevant is that when there was the welding issue, they said that Pink Line work was done at the Lake shop and this would make it hard, but not impossible to get there.

Interesting that CTA is running a 5000-series train on the Blue Line.  However, I don't see why CTA would equip the Blue Line with only 50 5000-series cars.  Even if you add the Green Line fleet it will still be less than half the entire Blue Line fleet.  Considering that the Pink and Green Lines are considered a shared fleet, I would think CTA would want both to use the same series of cars.

2 minutes ago, Pink Jazz said:

So wait, this is an April Fool's joke?

Indeed lol look at that pic closely and You can see the edit. Look at the sign its slightly crooked and look at the run number as well lol but still great edit. 5000's were on blue line tracks yesterday but not in service though ??

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Indeed lol look at that pic closely and You can see the edit. Look at the sign its slightly crooked and look at the run number as well lol but still great edit. 5000's were on blue line tracks yesterday but not in service though ??

10 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Great edit bushunter almost had me there ???

8 minutes ago, Pink Jazz said:

So wait, this is an April Fool's joke?

IVS4h20_LFCAU_3LPyoZ5xAkvsjrsh3w96EtmwgfIpQ.jpg

Yall shoulda remember what day it was :lol: 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

What you talkin' about Willis!!

index.jpg

17 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

APRIL'S FOOLS!!!!!!! This is a good one lol

Ha!  This got me too.  I spent way too much time staring at that image.  I knew something was wrong with that image, the LED displays all looked crudely photoshopped, but I wasn't going to call anyone out on it.  :D

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Ok seriously, I'm really f'ing shocked right now because #5305-06 is back in service not even a week after that tragedy occurred!

As I said, once the police got their evidence, and I suppose the cars are detoxed, no need to hold them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Ok seriously, I'm really f'ing shocked right now because #5305-06 is back in service not even a week after that tragedy occurred!

I hope it's not haunted. :ph34r: i was looking at which car it was that this happened, it looks like #5306 as the odd cars have the space where there is two small windows side by side. i seem to remember some kind of gunshot or stabbing on bus #1306 when it was at 77th on the #71 long ago when it was pretty new. Strange maybe #306 is unlucky. That's bad news cause #8306 is on the way.

I tried clicking on my shot of that railcar under the #5000 roster pics when it was new and the site gives an error. I wonder what that's all about. It's happening with other shots too.

• 2 weeks later...