5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

On 7/11/2016 at 6:42 PM, chgofan78 said:

Noticed today that all of those Red Line 5000-series cars that were helping out on the Green Line have made their way back to the Red Line. 

However, the Green Line got a few 5370s in return (at least #5371-72 were on the Green Line the past few days).

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

The L is overloaded with cars because they decided to keep enough cars on hand to run the Red Line extension to Roseland, which would probably need six more trainsets, at least. However, this is more wishful thinking than real forecasting. With luck, we might see the extension by 2030 or 2040.

Numbers about correspond to what the Orange Line would have needed if "the Orange Line is going to get 5000s."

This sounds kind of wasteful though. Maybe the issue is how much the Crowd Reduction Plan really increased Red  and Brown Line service.

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, 2490 said:

Yes, but looking for a run number if possible. It would make it a lot easier to find on the train tracker for somebody from 1500 miles away in town 

Logically, the run number should be 1908 or 2016 if you wanted the train marked specifically. But, it's just a 5000-Series set of cars wrapped in Cubs logos, flags, etc...... , so it's not so special to have a outstanding run number.

To make it special, maybe have Jason Heyward, Anthony Rizzo, Ben Zobrist and David Ross signing autographs and taking pictures, then you'll have a legitimate reason to put a special run number for the train...... oh, and good luck boarding, because it'll be as crammed as the Holiday Train, which is coming in a few weeks and brought to you by chitransit.org(we're not sponsoring the Holiday Train!!!!!! I just wanted to try my hand at a shameless plug :PxD ).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

Logically, the run number should be 1908 or 2016 if you wanted the train marked specifically.

But he wasn't talking about the equivalent of the now cannibalized 1892-1992 2000s. What he wants is the run number, such as 830, so it can track it on the map. and catch it.

Not that I am saying what the actual run number is, since I don't know. But the task is not as easy as finding bus 1763 on 152, since trains are not tracked by car numbers.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

But he wasn't talking about the equivalent of the now cannibalized 1892-1992 2000s. What he wants is the run number, such as 830, so it can track it on the map. and catch it.

Not that I am saying what the actual run number is, since I don't know. But the task is not as easy as finding bus 1763 on 152, since trains are not tracked by car numbers.

@Busjack, you can personalize run numbers for special trains. Santa Train is usually designated Run #1225 on the Train Tracker and the retirement of the 2400-Series Railcars were supposed to be specially designated Run #2400 on the Train Tracker so people know when the train(s) are due(if I recall correctly, they did the 2200-Series retirement cars as Run #2200). If CTA wanted to, they could've designated the Run # to be 1908 or 2016, to easily identify the train on Train Tracker, but it's not that important to do so.

cta Santa Train.jpg

IMG_0758.JPG

But that still doesn't do any good the person making the request, unless CTA actually does it, such as when Santa appeared on the BusTracker map, and certainly isn't reflected in any of the pictures you captured (and I sure hope you embedded them rather than copied and posted them, but based on the links it looks like you didn't, and if you didn't you violated TrendeRende's copyright).

2 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Maybe it is using a special run number......

I just did a quick check. All Red Line trains at the time have 800 and 900 run numbers. And as far as I know, the 5000s can only display three digits of run numbers. So 2016 would either look like 201 or 016, which are run numbers that belong to the Blue and Green lines respectively.

1 minute ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I just did a quick check. All Red Line trains at the time have 800 and 900 run numbers. And as far as I know, the 5000s can only display three digits of run numbers. So 2016 would either look like 201 or 016, which are run numbers that belong to the Blue and Green lines respectively.

So how did they get the run number show above in the photo?

2 hours ago, 2490 said:

Same way they got the street cars in the photo... Photoshop

Probably the converse, but you have a real good eye.

It appears that the original is from the poster I mentioned a couple of weeks ago of the 1945 World Series, with Peter Witt streetcars on Clark Street. Note also the marquee from that era. Based on the L crossing Clark Street (there definitely were not streetcars on Addison, which  was a CMC route), the L would have been running on Eddy St., and we know it doesn't. The best one could say of the placement would be on Roscoe, but it isn't a Brown Line train.

In short, CTA fooled someone.