greenstreet

5000-series - Updates

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

That runs contrary to a rumor someone posted about 100 3200s (after 3200 series  rehabs are completed) going to the Blue Line with 100 2600 series cars going to the Brown Line. 

It doesn't  make sense to send Pink and Green Line 5000s to the Blue Line seeing that half the cars would still be 2600s.  At least the 3200s are comparable and can train with the 2600s whereas the 5000s can't.  My idea was to move all of the 3200s ro Blue and move a like number of2600s to the Brown and Orange Lines.

I guess those 7000s can't get  here fast enough 

CTA is unpredictable, but one thing that militates against  the rumor is that CTA has tried to keep its yards and terminal shops consistent. Since the Pink and Green Lines have fewer than half of the cars needed to stock the Blue Line, the Blue Line would need mixed parts in its shops, and the Lake shop would have to be restocked. It gets worse when the 7000s arrive.

27 minutes ago, chicagopcclcar said:

To put rumors to bed....."Blue line is plagued with many little mini slow zones due to cracked rails and deferred maintenance. So with the 5000s being 10,000 lbs heavier per car, I guess the BIG WIGS wanted to see if we could ever accommodate them."  TESTING....NOTHING ELSE.

That hopefully quashes the 5000s ro Blue Line rumor since it  wasn't practical anyway.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

That hopefully quashes the 5000s ro Blue Line rumor since it  wasn't practical anyway.  

Yes....RUMORS....That's why I voided my own embargo of posting here. I see B-----k still won't read my posts. Let him stay the dark, LOL. Tonight I'm busy following that OSC Union Pacific Special coming back from New York to Chicago. The Sprit of UP is in the lead. NS cab signals were added so it can head the nine car passenger train. It west of Cleveland now. Here's a picture I took on the eastern trip last week.

DH

P1170689.jpg

On 6/4/2018 at 10:05 PM, chicagopcclcar said:

Yes....RUMORS....That's why I voided my own embargo of posting here. I see B-----k still won't read my posts. Let him stay the dark, LOL. Tonight I'm busy following that OSC Union Pacific Special coming back from New York to Chicago. The Sprit of UP is in the lead. NS cab signals were added so it can head the nine car passenger train. It west of Cleveland now. Here's a picture I took on the eastern trip last week.

DH

P1170689.jpg

So cool, always wanted to ride in a business car. Nice that UP still has those because I’ve read and heard rumors that freight railroad companies are doing away with those to save money (and please stockholders).

On 6/4/2018 at 9:14 PM, artthouwill said:

Hopefully the 7000s won't be that heavy or they might have to keep some 3200s around. LOL!!

IIRC, the blue line has had a lot of rail maintenance as of late on the nw side so I don't know how bad the rails are. Maybe they meant on the Congress tracks. I think the problem is the equipment. Has anyone checked the ridership lately on the blue line cause I'm hearing a lot of people are taking ubers because of blue line delays? 

UP has over 30 cars. This consist had two diners, two lounge cars, and the theater car. The first car was the power car. There were three sleeping cars too. Location was E. 95th St. and S. South Chicago Ave. Over and out.

DH

P1170694.jpg

20 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Hopefully the 7000s won't be that heavy or they might have to keep some 3200s around. LOL!!

That gets me thinking that the 5000s were said to be coincidental with fixing the Dan Ryan portion of the Red Line. I haven't heard anything lately about the IDOT project to rebuild the Eisenhower Expressway including the Congress portion of the Blue Line (last thing on the website is that thfe FHWA approved the final environmental impact statement). Maybe the rumor on putting 3200s on the Blue Line had some legs.

5 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

UP has over 30 cars. This consist had two diners, two lounge cars, and the theater car. The first car was the power car. There were three sleeping cars too. Location was E. 95th St. and S. South Chicago Ave. Over and out.

DH

P1170694.jpg

A couple of years ago, I saw a UP business consist roll through Rogers Park going north.  It was a lot shorter than the one you photographed.

55 minutes ago, strictures said:

A couple of years ago, I saw a UP business consist roll through Rogers Park going north.  It was a lot shorter than the one you photographed.

There was two-car one in CA this year. The longest UP special this year was a 22-car one. Bringing this comment back to CTA 5000s, here's the TEST train at O'Hare.

DH

34339193_10209051420722061_7105614742273654784_n.jpg

On 6/4/2018 at 10:05 PM, chicagopcclcar said:

DH

P1170689.jpg

That's the Union Pacific OCS(Office Car Special). They ferry around Corporate personnel from the company. I've seen the CSX one and the NS one as well.