5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Transfer points are identified at first and last stations where two or more lines converge or diverge. WB Pink and Green converge before Clinton, and diverge after Ashland. EB Pink and Green Converge before Ashland and diverge after Adams. Those are considered transfer stations between the Pink and Green Lines.

This is also why there are no map identified transfers at Randolph, Madison, LaSalle, and Quincy (also Morgan). Although one could transfer at these stations from Pink to 3 or 4 other lines, the first and last opportunities to do so are located at other stations.

That sounds logical, but why would they build an overhead transfer bridge at Morgan/Lake if it's not a transfer station? Randolph, LaSalle and Quincy can all only be boarded on one side or the other. Crossing requires another fare.

Got a chance to ride the 5000's since their return to revenue service, it was a six car consist with car # 5074 being the lead the rest were 5073, 5064 and 63, and the last 2 were 5019 and 5020 being the end car. I also saw another 6 car train of 5000's traveling the opposite direction on the pink line couldn't get all their numbers except for the 1st two which were 5045 and 5046. The overall ride was pretty smooth they had that "new train smell" to them lol. The acceleration of the trains from the platform is what stuck out to me the most very smooth might I add as well as the braking. I got on the trains at Clark/ lake station and rode them around the loop (and all the way to 54/Cermak) which was a good ride looks like the problems the 5000's had with the signal clearance was also fixed. Good stuff good report.

• Upvote 2

That sounds logical, but why would they build an overhead transfer bridge at Morgan/Lake if it's not a transfer station? Randolph, LaSalle and Quincy can all only be boarded on one side or the other. Crossing requires another fare.

I remember reading about how Morgan would have fare controls on one side(EB tracks??), and a required overhead crossing to board on the other side. It may have stated that this would be the first station with this "one-sided" entry design. Both sides will allow for exiting. I haven't traveled by there recently - look for the elevators on both sides of the overhead to boarding level. I also don't remember if that design has 1 or 2 elevators going to street level.

So the new 5000s on the Pink and Green coincide with the new station entry design(feeble attempt to get back to topic), and this might explain why the non-led maps on the 5000s don't have a transfer station here(attempted again). Hopefully, the led maps on the 5000s will have this station listed BEFORE it opens(successfully back to topic).

I remember reading about how Morgan would have fare controls on one side(EB tracks??), and a required overhead crossing to board on the other side. It may have stated that this would be the first station with this "one-sided" entry design. Both sides will allow for exiting. I haven't traveled by there recently - look for the elevators on both sides of the overhead to boarding level. I also don't remember if that design has 1 or 2 elevators going to street level.

So the new 5000s on the Pink and Green coincide with the new station entry design(feeble attempt to get back to topic), and this might explain why the non-led maps on the 5000s don't have a transfer station here(attempted again). Hopefully, the led maps on the 5000s will have this station listed BEFORE it opens(successfully back to topic).

According to what the current system map dictates, Madison/Wabash is a transfer station as well as Fullerton/Red line. It seems every station with a transfer bridge is a transfer station. (single lines excluded of course like California/Green line) I don't see why having fare controls on one or both sides of the platform would change the designation. A person can still freely transfer. As far as what #5000's have been out there, for the last two days it been the same two consists #5019-20, #5063-64, and #5073-74 in one and #5069-70, #5077-78, and #5046-45 in the other. They haven't change cars so far like they did before. BTW, I'll see if I can put up a list of what's at the Harlem yard/Green line and put it on the #5000's page post #20 I have on here.

According to what the current system map dictates, Madison/Wabash is a transfer station as well as Fullerton/Red line.

Fullerton is explained by divergence, as jtrosario indicated earlier, in that it is the last chance to transfer between trains going downtown via L or subway.

At least on the pdf of the 2011 map, Madison-Wabash is not indicated as a transfer station on the Downtown inset on the back, nor on the Downtown map on the front.

That gets back to the definition of a transfer station, including why Ashland was only a transfer station partially, and why every station between Belmont and Merchandise Mart isn't one. If you are going from inbound Pink to outbound Green, or vice versa, and stay on until Clark & Lake, a couple of trains will pass you in the other direction. On the other hand, if you are going from inbound to inbound (or more properly, to 63-Ashland or Cottage Grove), it doesn't matter where you transfer between Ashland and Adams Wabash; your train will still be behind you. Different at Belmont or Fullerton, since a Red can theoretically pass a Brown or Purple.

Madison/Wabash is a transfer station on these new system map car cards. That was my source. I just mentioned the Fullerton stop because you mentioned here there were no transfer stops between M Mart and Belmont above.

Madison/Wabash is a transfer station on these new system map car cards. That was my source. I just mentioned the Fullerton stop because you mentioned here there were no transfer stops between M Mart and Belmont above.

I had mentioned Fullerton here, so if I mentioned something inconsistent earlier ...

but ...

One thing CTA has proven is that the maps in the cars are inconsistent, at least with regard to official sources.

What is a transfer station? My guess would be one where you could transfer from one line to another line. By that simple definition, Morgan/Lake could be considered a transfer station, though no one would transfer between the Pink and Green Lines there unless they forgot to get off at Ashland. The transfer bridge at Morgan is only there because there is only one entrance to the station, on the south side of Lake Street (the eastbound side of the station), so westbound riders actually have to cross over, just like at California (Green Line) and Laramie (Green Line). The only difference is that two lines serve this station as well. You could transfer at Madison/Wabash, but why? Anyway, that station might be a moot point when the new Washington/Wabash station goes up.

As for the 5000s, hopefully we'll see updated maps when the Morgan station opens. I wonder how many new cars will be introduced into service weekly. If 2 6 car consists are introduced weekly, the Green Line could see new cars in service next month. If only one new 6 car consist is introduced weekly, then the Green Line may see new cars in July. I guess it depends on whether CTA receives 14 cars per month or 20 from Bombardier. BTW, I'm still waiting for those new LED signs that are color coded to each respective line.

They got some new equipment on the Pink line over the weekend. Some cars are moving around also between Harlem yard on the Green line and the Pink line. #5073-74, #5025-26, #5061-62 seem to be some of the new arrivals/lent equipment at Harlem yard. They still have #5079-82 over there. There still working on #5000 cars in the Harlem shop. I wonder if they are working on those LED system maps to get those in compliance with Morgan/Lake Green/Pink Line and Oakton/Yellow line. I haven't yet seen evidence of that, but I need to get a better look at some of these former Harlem yard cars to see if that is true or not. (They may just be training staff though.) As far as the new arrivals at Pink they were #5083-#5086 as well as a few lower numbered cars that are new #5017-18, which was at Harlem Yard last week, and #5035-36 and #5075-76. All those cars (the last 10 mentioned) were in revenue service on the Pink for the first time yesterday. They appear to be advancing to 3 revenue #5000 trains this week.

They got some new equipment on the Pink line over the weekend. Some cars are moving around also between Harlem yard on the Green line and the Pink line. #5073-74, #5025-26, #5061-62 seem to be some of the new arrivals/lent equipment at Harlem yard. They still have #5079-82 over there. There still working on #5000 cars in the Harlem shop. I wonder if they are working on those LED system maps to get those in compliance with Morgan/Lake Green/Pink Line and Oakton/Yellow line. I haven't yet seen evidence of that, but I need to get a better look at some of these former Harlem yard cars to see if that is true or not. (They may just be training staff though.) As far as the new arrivals at Pink they were #5083-#5086 as well as a few lower numbered cars that are new #5017-18, which was at Harlem Yard last week, and #5035-36 and #5075-76. All those cars (the last 10 mentioned) were in revenue service on the Pink for the first time yesterday. They appear to be advancing to 3 revenue #5000 trains this week.

Today I rode 5017 between Polk and Randolph and the center car map had both Oakton/Skokie and Morgan lights but amber destination signs. Also noticed that Bombardier has ads at a couple stations in the loop. When did those show up?

Today I rode 5017 between Polk and Randolph and the center car map had both Oakton/Skokie and Morgan lights but amber destination signs. Also noticed that Bombardier has ads at a couple stations in the loop. When did those show up?

Yeah those Bombardier ads are also on the Red Line addison stop too, I guess now since the 5000 series problems are solved and with more coming in they now are feeling pretty good to put their ads around cta.

This must "offically" mean that the 5000-series is in full effect then, the problems have been resolved (I'll give the 5000-series unitl January to determine that to see that they can operate in all 4 seasons without ANY more problems) and the 2200-series is on official retire watch

Yeah those Bombardier ads are also on the Red Line addison stop too, I guess now since the 5000 series problems are solved and with more coming in they now are feeling pretty good to put their ads around cta.

I wonder how many people will order somthing from Bombardier? :P

I wonder how many people will order somthing from Bombardier? :P

As previously mentioned, there are only a few worldwide railcar companies left.

Alstom was trying to make hay out of this (as indicated by references up the thread to the Hornell NY paper), but the question will be whether this will have any success, given that Alstom wanted SF to throw out a Bombardier low bid. According to that source, BART contract goes to Bombardier instead of Alstom. So, I guess you have your answer.

As previously mentioned, there are only a few worldwide railcar companies left.

Alstom was trying to make hay out of this (as indicated by references up the thread to the Hornell NY paper), but the question will be whether this will have any success, given that Alstom wanted SF to throw out a Bombardier low bid. According to that source, BART contract goes to Bombardier instead of Alstom. So, I guess you have your answer.

Well, I was really referring to the general public who would see the advertising. Not like you can go to your local Bombardier dealer and get a couple!

And then there were 3 lol.....Yeah the Pink Line now has three 6 car set of 5000's in revenue service. I was on a set today with lead car 5058 heading towards the Loop when I saw the other 2 heading towards 54/Cermak. I assume they will be on the Green Line once the Pink Line recieves their share of the new cars.

Well, I was really referring to the general public who would see the advertising. Not like you can go to your local Bombardier dealer and get a couple!

Now I get you.

That is strange.

However, they apparently think they need some PR. For instance, I couldn't figure out why GE was selling nuclear plants and aircraft engines on the Sunday morning talk shows. I wasn't going to buy one. :lol:

You might, however, buy a Ski Doo (their original product).

There were some more changes over the weekend. Alot of the #5000's that was at Harlem yard/Green line has been moved to Pink line. I could only spot #5041-42 and #5059-60 at Harlem yard yesterday. I don't know if Green line will be receiving new trains from Skokie or not or just keep a few cars for now. That being said alot of the cars that have never seen revenue service did so for the first time yesterday. #5025-26, #5047-48, #5081-82 among them. There were a few changes with #3100 equipment also. Alot of the #3180 - #3200 cars are at Pink now. The only car I could still spot at blue was #3191-92. #3116-15 was sitting in the yard at 54th, but alot of the lower numbered cars in the #3000's and #3100's on the Pink line has been moved. BTW, the Pink line was up to 4 #5000 trains in service yesterday.

There seemed to be a gap in Pink Line service this evening. As I was on a WB Green Line around Franklin, I saw a six car 5000 series train with "Not in Service" signage. Immediately following that train at Clinton, there was a 4 car Pink Line train with lead car 3200. The train tracker signs at Clinton showed the next WB Pink Line trains were due 12 and 13 minutes later (not 12 minutes later and one another 13 minutes after, but literally one minute apart) . There were no other Pink Line trains in the Loop at that time.

Earlier this morning on the Green Line at the Harlem Yard, the only cars there at 8:30 were a 4 car consist of 5000s, but I could not identify the car numbers.

Just spotted #5109 on the move via flatbed along Oakton st. tonite. Im assuming #5110 has also arrived tonite.

5109 and 10?? Wow they are really coming on along with the new cars I see if they're sending them in numerical order like I hope they are lol then they made over 100 cars already, hey good job keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I rode a Pink Line train with 5073 as the lead car. 5105 and 5106 were also in the consist. I noticed when we went through a crossover or any point where contact was lost with the third rail, the "power" (A/C motor?) went out. This is normal for the other series cars as well, but usually with the older cars, once contact is made with the third rail the power comes back on in each individual car. But for the train I was on yesterday in the lead car, that "power" did not return until all six cars passed through the crossover or interlocking. I'm not an electrician nor engineer, but it would seem that it would not matter the length of the train in regards to the 5000s, but if that train has to stop in the middle of a crossover, interlocking, or junction (Tower 18 for example), that train is going to stall. Is this a function of Direct Current as opposed to Alternating Current which the older cars are? If so, then:

1. CTA workers in Tower 18 best not ride any new cars and expect to get off at that junction and walk up the stairs.

2. A 5000 series car train should not be allowed through that junction unless it can completely clear it in one move. For instance, if a train is sitting on the EB track at the Clark/Lake station, don't let the 5000 series train sitting west of the Tower 18 junction proceed through the crossing until the first train reaches State/Lake. This will cause back ups and delays, but it will ensure the cab signals won't force a new train to stop somewhere in the junction and stall.

This is just a theory. Any thoughts?