5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

The power should not go out at all for a short 3rd rail gap. When the LIRR and MN converted some of their M-1's and M-3's from Motor Alternators to Inverters, power stayed on through long switches and grade-crossings. It also never happens with the M-7's, which are all hi-tech, computerized, and AC propulsion. They were also built by Bombardier. I have never heard of this nonsense that power does not come back until the whole train does. Imagine if that happened to a 12 car MU of 85' cars on a ladder track in NYPS or GCT.

Who's to blame for this defect on CTA 5000's ?

Is this a function of Direct Current as opposed to Alternating Current which the older cars are?

You got that backwards. The older cars are DC. New ones are AC.

That said, I rode a Pink Line with 5000s a couple weeks ago through tower 18, and don't recall that happening. I noticed only two brief occasions where the power went out, and the power was definitely back on in my car when the other cars were going over the 3rd rail gaps.

I did talk to a friendly CTA vice president who informed me that there are 84 5000s on property and since there are 5100s in service, he verified that new deliveries are NOT in chronological order. He didn't know off hand who is the scrapper but 2200s have gone away.

David Harrison

Is IRM getting any ? If so, do they get to cherry-pick ?

I did talk to a friendly CTA vice president who informed me that there are 84 5000s on property and since there are 5100s in service, he verified that new deliveries are NOT in chronological order. He didn't know off hand who is the scrapper but 2200s have gone away.

David Harrison

Rode on a 2200 yesterday on the Blue line at 6:30pm towards O'Hare. In addition to the car(of the pair) I was on, saw at least 3 more pairs(6 cars) in service, including the middle 4 cars of an 8 car set. It was the most 2200s I've seen in service for the last couple of weeks.

So yes, some 2200s have gone away. For at least yesterday, some others are still in service. As the 5000s continue to come online, of course more 2200s(and 2400s) will disappear.

(Edited for clarification)

The Trib just posted a video of the 5000s being manufactured at Plattsburgh N.Y. They took a ride in 5119 and around 4:13 you can see the new colored LED destination signs. Has anyone seen a car with these in service?

A pretty impressive video piece overall. Wow, the green line sign at 4:13 is REALLY green and easy to see.

A second or two before the train gets closer to the camera, it looks like the sign is Red and then suddenly changes to Green. Are they changing from Red to Green while moving for the video shot, is that a weird Red/Green reflection, or a just a glitch in the video?

Also, can anyone read what's on the Green sign? To me, the front sign looks solid Green with no words, and while the side sign looks like it has white lettering on it, there's a fade effect going on that interferes with being able to read it.

I'm NOT saying there's a problem with the signs, as it likely appears to be the video resolution while watching this, just curious what others with better video resolution and faster computers are seeing in this video.

A pretty impressive video piece overall. Wow, the green line sign at 4:13 is REALLY green and easy to see.

A second or two before the train gets closer to the camera, it looks like the sign is Red and then suddenly changes to Green. Are they changing from Red to Green while moving for the video shot, is that a weird Red/Green reflection, or a just a glitch in the video?

Also, can anyone read what's on the Green sign? To me, the front sign looks solid Green with no words, and while the side sign looks like it has white lettering on it, there's a fade effect going on that interferes with being able to read it.

I'm NOT saying there's a problem with the signs, as it likely appears to be the video resolution while watching this, just curious what others with better video resolution and faster computers are seeing in this video.

It also looks like the run number sign changes when the color of the destination sign changes as well. It does not appear to have the actual destination text lit up, just the background color. I agree though, it is very difficult to tell much from that video.

It also looks like the run number sign changes when the color of the destination sign changes as well. It does not appear to have the actual destination text lit up, just the background color. I agree though, it is very difficult to tell much from that video.

The thing you have to figure is that the video was taken on the test track in Plattsburgh, not in Chicago. Hence, even though Mr. CTA says South Boulevard is next, they had to simulate that somehow. So, I'm sure that's the same with regard to the destination and run number sign.

In fact, I am shocked that Bombardier gave Hilkevitch a full tour, along with a CTA inspector demonstrating what part was in question. If nothing else, NABI wasn't giving tours in 2005.

Also, it is somewhat of a change of pace to see them fabricating the bodies, as opposed to the pictures of the bodies of the 2400s being lifted off the boat.

Ok my question is after seeing the video (which was a very good behind the scenes video) is after seeing the test trains with the new color LED signs what about the 5000's that are already here and in service those still have the original LED's in the trains, so will they be pulled out again just to install the new technology?

Ok my question is after seeing the video (which was a very good behind the scenes video) is after seeing the test trains with the new color LED signs what about the 5000's that are already here and in service those still have the original LED's in the trains, so will they be pulled out again just to install the new technology?

They said they would.

However, it can't be too big a deal to pull out 5 circuit boards per car, and also get the new software that makes Pink Pink.

They also said they were going to retrofit the more sanitary seat inserts.

I have not seen any 2600's on the pink line in over a week. Is the line serviced only by 5000's now? Can we expect 5000's on the green line soon?

Yeah they're fully equippted with 5000's now and the 2600's that were on the Pink are now on the Red Line.

Looks like the Green Line is getting prepared to recieve their portion of 5000's now that the Pink Line is fully equpited with the new cars and I also noticed an increasing number of 2400's on the Red Line I know for a fact its more than 10 cars of 24's on the Red Line with more on the way.

Looks like the Green Line is getting prepared to recieve their portion of 5000's now that the Pink Line is fully equpited with the new cars and I also noticed an increasing number of 2400's on the Red Line I know for a fact its more than 10 cars of 24's on the Red Line with more on the way.

Plus I see that Blue Line has been receiving more Oldest 2600s/2800s from Red Line for replacement of 2200s.

Plus I see that Blue Line has been receiving more Oldest 2600s/2800s from Red Line for replacement of 2200s.

I remember seeing 2605/6 and 2607/8? And 2863/4 on Blue Line. Today I saw.3049/50 on the Purple.Line Express in the Loop.

I wonder if the Red Line will actually get 5000s after the Green? Based on what CTA is saying, they won't put the new cars on the Dan Ryan tracks until the rebuild is done, thus we wouldn't see them on the Red Line until May at the earlist. Even if the.Green Line doesn't get fully equipped with 5000s until Christmas, there would still be enough time to equip the Orange Line with 5000s before doing the Red. If I get the time, I'll try to find the link that references Red South not getting new cars until after the rebuild. I think it was on the Faq about why CTA couldn't do the red rehab on weekends. Besides cost, I believe they said they would.have to Continue to run older equipment until the project was completed.

I wonder if the Red Line will actually get 5000s after the Green? Based on what CTA is saying, they won't put the new cars on the Dan Ryan tracks until the rebuild is done, thus we wouldn't see them on the Red Line until May at the earlist. ...

That's about what they said, although not easily verifiable.

However, if the cars are on the line after construction is done, and construction is supposed to start some time in Spring 2013 and take 5 months, probably not until late Fall 2013.

The only question then is how many cars they would have at the one every one or two day rate, and whether they would just stockpile them or run them on the Red via the L, or just temporarily run them somewhere else. Obviously, they aren't going to run on the Dan Ryan branch until the construction is done, and probably not anything else will run there, either.

That's about what they said, although not easily verifiable.

However, if the cars are on the line after construction is done, and construction is supposed to start some time in Spring 2013 and take 5 months, probably not until late Fall 2013.

The only question then is how many cars they would have at the one every one or two day rate, and whether they would just stockpile them or run them on the Red via the L, or just temporarily run them somewhere else. Obviously, they aren't going to run on the Dan Ryan branch until the construction is done, and probably not anything else will run there, either.

I was thinking running the new cars on the Red via the L, which is why I suggested May being the earliest we'd possibly would see them on the Red. Stockpiling new cars to run old equipment males no sense to me, but Im not in charge, let alone work for CTA.

What I caught out of that is Hilkevitch saying one rail car made every two days with them hoping to speed that up soon to have the 706 car order completed and delivered on schedule by the end of 2014.

Based on jajaun's quote, after the Green Line gets it's allotment of 5000's, there will be another line chosen, perhaps two to receive 5000's... take your pick...

Orange Line

Brown Line

Yellow Line

Blue Line

Least likely currently due to ongoing track and viaduct reconstruction

Purple Line

Red Line

Any of the top four could be the next one or two lines to receive the 5000's next following the Green Line. The Red Line will probably get their allotment after the Dan Ryan project is completed in Summer/Fall 2013 through 2014. While the CTA may not be sensible, I know they won't mothball the 5000's until the project is completed, and the plan of allocation may not be set in stone... a lot of people here said the Blue Line would be getting these cars, and that was initally thrown out the window. But looking at the rail lines that aren't under major reconstruction or will be anytime soon, the top four are the most feasible for placement.

I was thinking running the new cars on the Red via the L, which is why I suggested May being the earliest we'd possibly would see them on the Red. Stockpiling new cars to run old equipment males no sense to me, but Im not in charge, let alone work for CTA.

CTA Source regarding use of rail cars on the Red Line:

http://www.transitch...o.com/redsouth/

Under "Why Close the Red Line South for This Work?"

. Continued use of older rail cars for 4 years (noisier, less smooth ride)

This could be read as no 5000s along the un-rebuilt Dan Ryan, meaning that 5000s won't be on the Red line until the reroute to Green line tracks begin, at the earliest.

Interesting that by then the Green line (including its South branches) will have all 5000s. I would venture to say that as part of the reroute the Red line would then have to get all 5000s to ensure that those same South branches have security cameras on all cars during the spring/summer of 2013. Hence, when the Dan Ryan reopens later in 2013 all the 5000s are in place already. Although not easy, if at all possible, it would be advantageous to switch the entire Red Line to 5000s the same night it gets switched over for 5 months to the Ashland/63rd tracks.

CTA Source regarding use of rail cars on the Red Line:

http://www.transitch...o.com/redsouth/

Under "Why Close the Red Line South for This Work?"

. Continued use of older rail cars for 4 years (noisier, less smooth ride)

This could be read as no 5000s along the un-rebuilt Dan Ryan, meaning that 5000s won't be on the Red line until the reroute to Green line tracks begin, at the earliest.

Yes, that's the source, thanks.

Although, like most said on that page, it is b.s. in that the cars were tested twice on that line. Unless something happened in the last 6 months, they should have known from the 1-1/2 years of testing whether they could have run them there.