5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

According to pieced together information on the current rosters, the Green Line 6-car unit should be 5031-5032,5111-5114. The only unknown is units 5003-5012, which haven't been seen since being withdrawn from service for emergency repairs and units 5087-5104, which haven't been reported seen yet. Will these units be assigned to the Green Line or to make the rosters more consistent, or given to the Pink Line and some of their later-numbered 5000's will be transferred to the Green Line?

Those cars you mentioned above, #5031-32, #5111-#5114 are now back on the Pink line. All cars still have the amber colored signage. Like chicagopcclcars mentioned, #5077-78, #5021-22, #5081-82 were in service yesterday on the Green line. There's another six car set in the Harlem yard (it's been changing every Sunday for weeks)#5049-50, #5019-20, #5071-72. All cars are borrowed from the Pink line. The Green line doesn't appear to have it own assigned cars yet. Those six cars in service yesterday still had Pink line car cards in them. And the operator on my train was doing manual announcements, along the way the train lost it's destination signs and the only sign inside the cars that was working was the time and date. The next stop was never displayed on my trip. One thing I noticed was it was very easy to mistake the train for a Pink Line. Usually you see a green sign and you know. I guess this is something we'll all have to get used to.

Since it has been a year since your last post, among other things, have the ones here for testing (5003-5012) ever returned from the supposed retrofits?

They appear to be in a long term testing facility. There not being counted by CTA forces as on CTA property. With the cars having a few problems along the way, they're most likely being tested extensively. The same thing seemed to happen with the #7500 NABI prototype. It was around disappeared and showed up a year or two later.

Is the CTA going to create a special flyer for the 2200-series like they did when the 2000-series retired?

They might, I thought I might have seen a pamphlet on the #5000 series coming to the green line. It was on green colored paper with a picture of a train on the front of it. It was one of the FG buses.

The Green Line 5000 set made a stop at Randolph/Wabash at 1:56pm before heading to Harlem. Unfortunately I was at street level on Wabash and couldn't get car or run numbers.

If 5078 was the lrad car, then that train was Not.in Service. I saw that train WB ay Clark/Lake following a 2400 series Green Linr. Evidently it went to the Harlem yard because I never saw it when I went WB on another Green Line nor was there any train at Harlem when I arrived. Of course it could've gone to 54th Yard also.

This is the article I got off Chicago-l.org on the 5000 series and what's next for the 2400 series cars. "5000-series railcars were added to the Green Line on Sunday, July 1, 2012. On that date, one six-car train was added to the existing fleet of 2400-series cars on the Green Line; additional cars arranged in six-car trains were added thereafter. The 5000-series will continue to be added throughout the summer until the entire Green Line fleet is replaced.The cars replace the 35-year old 2400-series cars in service on the Green Line, which are being transferred to the Red Line until their impending retirement".

This is the article I got off Chicago-l.org on the 5000 series and what's next for the 2400 series cars. "5000-series railcars were added to the Green Line on Sunday, July 1, 2012. On that date, one six-car train was added to the existing fleet of 2400-series cars on the Green Line; additional cars arranged in six-car trains were added thereafter. The 5000-series will continue to be added throughout the summer until the entire Green Line fleet is replaced.The cars replace the 35-year old 2400-series cars in service on the Green Line, which are being transferred to the Red Line until their impending retirement".

Yes. There are actually ten 5000-series cars assigned to the Green Line--six in regular service plus four for spares. This coming Sunday, another six-car 5000-series train will be put into service on the Green Line. This will continue through September when enough 5000-series cars are assigned to the Green Line to provide all service. This, plus the assignment of a few spare 5000s to the Green Line (which will take place this October), means that the next line that's slated to receive the new cars will not start getting its new cars until this November.

As for the 2400s, they will all move to the Red Line--in this case, to replace the 2600-series cars that will be moving to the Blue Line to replace that line's 2200-series cars. This means that the Red Line will be half 2400s and half 2600s until the 2400s are retired. It also means that once the Green Line gets completely equipped with the new cars, the Blue Line will have an all-2600-series fleet.

Saw my first 5000's in service the other day while Downtown at I think Adams/Wabash or Madison/Wabash. It was a 6-car Pink Line unit going to 54th/Cermak. I didn't catch all the numbers, but one of the units was 5069-5070. It was a very quiet train except for the brakes... they sure do squeal as they are applied.

I saw the new cars on the Green Line for the 1st time with lead car 5020 forget the rest of the numbers but today there should be another new set of 5000's debuting on the line, has anyone seen them yet or any updated rosters??

As far as I know the same two 6 car sets are out there for week 2 on the Green line. Skokie didn't receive that many cars last week. (Only spotted one car, last week they seemed to be busy scrapping and disposing old cars.) If the Green line would receive anything else (maybe not this week) it would probably come from the Pink line. 76 cars is still too many for them. (Should be more around 56 or 62. That would give them 1 or 2 spares.)

Well I happened to be in car 5036 in what was a Pink line train Friday morning, and I happened to notice that one of the glass panels on one of the passenger doors had a nasty looking crack. It looked as if someone may have thrown a rock or other object at the glass and it stopped just short of shattering and breaking into a bunch of tiny pieces.

Well I happened to be in car 5036 in what was a Pink line train Friday morning, and I happened to notice that one of the glass panels on one of the passenger doors had a nasty looking crack. It looked as if someone may have thrown a rock or other object at the glass and it stopped just short of shattering and breaking into a bunch of tiny pieces.

My problem is wasn't the train inspected before it left to go on a run.

As far as I know the same two 6 car sets are out there for week 2 on the Green line. Skokie didn't receive that many cars last week. (Only spotted one car, last week they seemed to be busy scrapping and disposing old cars.) If the Green line would receive anything else (maybe not this week) it would probably come from the Pink line. 76 cars is still too many for them. (Should be more around 56 or 62. That would give them 1 or 2 spares.)

I took a look at the 5000s at Harlem Yard earlier this afternoon, and found at least four more 5000s sitting there (5039-5040, 5041-5042). I did not get a good look at the others.

It appears that the Pink Line may actually be receiving the higher-numbered 5000s as they are being delivered while moving some of the lower-numbered units to the Green Line.

Also, back on the afternoon of Thursday the 5th I was in car #5071 of a six-car unit (5072-5071-5019-5020-5050-5049) eastbound on a Green Line run heading towards the East 63rd (Cottage Grove) branch.

The other day, I happened to notice a four-car train on the Pink Line. Wonder if it's a test of some sort to see if they can go back to fours from sixes. Running six-car trains is certainly a waste of money of the route doesn't need them.

Agreed. The best test would be to stop a four car consist in the middle of Lake/Wells junction and see if that train can move without assistance from the stinger or another train. Hopefully they have identified the problem or else the old trains will have to run the Loop and the Red and.Blue will have to be all 5000s.

The other day, I happened to notice a four-car train on the Pink Line. Wonder if it's a test of some sort to see if they can go back to fours from sixes. Running six-car trains is certainly a waste of money of the route doesn't need them.

I would agree only to the extent six cars may not be needed in off peak hours but rush hours when I'm on one the trains seem full with quite a number of standees in each car. And before one points out the inward arrangement of the seating being a part of that, from the look of the number of passengers in each car even under old arrangement it looks enough that there would still be standees.

Agreed. The best test would be to stop a four car consist in the middle of Lake/Wells junction and see if that train can move without assistance from the stinger or another train. Hopefully they have identified the problem or else the old trains will have to run the Loop and the Red and.Blue will have to be all 5000s.

I would expect only CTA employees famiiar with the problems or Bombardier technicians familiar with the problems to sugest testing procedures. Are you either of those?

David H.

I would expect only CTA employees famiiar with the problems or Bombardier technicians familiar with the problems to sugest testing procedures. Are you either of those?

David H.

I said before that they had 1-1/2 years to test the cars, and we were told that they had to be tested everywhere to make sure they worked everywhere. If there is a problem, this should have been cleared up long ago.