5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Give me a consultant contract for about $500,000 and I'm sure I can find out.

Do you know?

Five hundred thousand to someone who couldn't figure out at the beginning that two of the prototype cars were kept at the factory to work out problems...."I don't think so", as Homie the Clown would say. It amazes that people who don't know can talk about solutions...solutions to a problem when they don't know what the problem is. That is definately rocket science scientists.

Do I know? Yes, and I would never tell it on this public forum.

And Cineston is spelled c-i-n-e-s-t-o-n. First appeared on the Clark compartment cars for NYC.

D. H.

• Upvote 1

Five hundred thousand to someone who couldn't figure out at the beginning that two of the prototype cars were kept at the factory to work out problems...."I don't think so", as Homie the Clown would say. It amazes that people who don't know can talk about solutions...solutions to a problem when they don't know what the problem is. That is definately rocket science scientists.

And Cineston is spelled c-i-n-e-s-t-o-n. First appeared on the Clark compartment cars for NYC.

D. H.

So you're telling us that AC cars have PCC equipment? Oh, yes, you aren't telling us anything, according to you,

Between the leaking consultants and contractors, and the spawn of Kruesi and Claypool, the smug have sure taken over this board.

• Upvote 1

I would expect only CTA employees famiiar with the problems or Bombardier technicians familiar with the problems to sugest testing procedures. Are you either of those?

David H.

I thought this was a forum where people were free to express ideas and opinions. I didn't think holding a particular position was required in order to do that.

D. H.

Unless you can provide facts or proof to counter what someone says, the most you can do is disagree, not criticize. Busjack is correct in that they've been testing for a year and a half. It is also a fact that rush hours have been snarled in the Loop by 4 car Pink Line trains at Tower 18 junction. The CTA's solution? They run 6 car consists of the 5000 series on the Pink, and now Green Lines at all times. AT some point, CTA knows they will have to start running those new cars in 4 car consists, and to my knowledge, there is no trackage back in New York that duplicates the Lake/Wells junction. The 4 car 5000s have made it through the junction with no problem while moving completely through the junction. The problems have occurred with these cars stopping in the junction. Why? I don't know, but maybe if you do, you can enlighten us that we may learn something, after all we are all transit enthusiasts.

So you're telling us that AC cars have PCC equipment? Oh, yes, you aren't telling us anything, according to you,

Between the leaking consultants and contractors, and the spawn of Kruesi and Claypool, the smug have sure taken over this board.

I guess this has become a smugasboard? :unsure:

• Upvote 2

One has to wonder why the current 5000 roster for the CTA is the following...

5001-5002

5013-5086

5105-5114

Units 5087-5104 will most likely be delivered soon, if they aren't already on CTA property and/or in service on the Green or Pink Line... but what about units 5003-5012? These units were part of the original group that was tested before the brake and wheel issues came into light. But since the repairs have been made, these units have yet to be returned... one has to wonder why they are still at Plattsburgh and not back in service. If it's for testing purposes, why can't Bombardier make 6-10 un-numbered test cars exactly to the CTA specs and run them through the tests to look for further defects.

I am NOT telling you that AC cars have PCC equipment. If you came to that conclusion, it shows how little you know. Which also supports my contention that you stop making solutions about things you don't know about. Or if you insist, then identify your ideas as ideas of the uninitiated.

I was reading the first ten pages of this 73 page discussion.....how could people have been writing 73 pages on the same subject over three years....some one back then had mispelled Cineston and I was helping them out for the future.

The Cineston controller is a one handle controller that controls both power and brake functions and usually operates in a rotary fashion. It has nothing to do with whether a vehicle is PCC or not. True, the Chicago PCC cars used Cineston controllers. But so do the 3200 series cars on the Brown and Orange line use Cineston controllers.

Back to the other question at hand...your statement that the CTA and Bombardier have had 1 1/2 years to test the cars and that they should have found all defects and operating odities is a stupid statement. It shows an error of expectations. Nothing is guaranteed to be found in any given amount of time. Every combination of situations that may affect the operation cannot be foreseen. When a problem appears you tackle it with troubleshooting.

Yes I have been told a description of the problems and what they think are the causes. To me, that is a "need to know information" and I feel you don't need to know. If the CTA wants to tell you, that's their business. I was not told the problem with an implied permission that I could tell others. That's one way my sources are comfortable talking with me. I'm not shutting off my sources.

Next question.

David H.

• Upvote 3

I thought this was a forum where people were free to express ideas and opinions. I didn't think holding a particular position was required in order to do that.

That is true, anyone can express ideas and opinions but understand if you don't know what you are talking about, to others your idea and opinion might seem stupid.

Unless you can provide facts or proof to counter what someone says, the most you can do is disagree, not criticize. Busjack is correct in that they've been testing for a year and a half. It is also a fact that rush hours have been snarled in the Loop by 4 car Pink Line trains at Tower 18 junction. The CTA's solution? They run 6 car consists of the 5000 series on the Pink, and now Green Lines at all times. AT some point, CTA knows they will have to start running those new cars in 4 car consists, and to my knowledge, there is no trackage back in New York that duplicates the Lake/Wells junction. The 4 car 5000s have made it through the junction with no problem while moving completely through the junction. The problems have occurred with these cars stopping in the junction. Why? I don't know, but maybe if you do, you can enlighten us that we may learn something, after all we are all transit enthusiasts.

I guess this has become a smugasboard? :unsure:

Well I've already answered Busjack, especially about the 1 1/2 years of testing...please read that response. And if you go back over the 73 pages of comments here, note how many times people are reporting out of service trains running on the system, many of those trains are still testing solutions to problems that have developed. Others are training and retraining personnel. If the CTA wants you to know in detail the performance so far, they will tell you. I am not at liberty to.

David H.

Who or what is "mayfield and newport"?

DH

You were the one who made the big deal about reading up the thread; why don't you search their member profiles?

I'm not doing unpaid work for CTA or their consultants.

I am NOT telling you that AC cars have PCC equipment. If you came to that conclusion, it shows how little you know. Which also supports my contention that you stop making solutions about things you don't know about. Or if you insist, then identify your ideas as ideas of the uninitiated.

I was reading the first ten pages of this 73 page discussion.....how could people have been writing 73 pages on the same subject over three years....some one back then had mispelled Cineston and I was helping them out for the future.

The Cineston controller is a one handle controller that controls both power and brake functions and usually operates in a rotary fashion. It has nothing to do with whether a vehicle is PCC or not. True, the Chicago PCC cars used Cineston controllers. But so do the 3200 series cars on the Brown and Orange line use Cineston controllers.

Back to the other question at hand...your statement that the CTA and Bombardier have had 1 1/2 years to test the cars and that they should have found all defects and operating odities is a stupid statement. It shows an error of expectations. Nothing is guaranteed to be found in any given amount of time. Every combination of situations that may affect the operation cannot be foreseen. When a problem appears you tackle it with troubleshooting.

Yes I have been told a description of the problems and what they think are the causes. To me, that is a "need to know information" and I feel you don't need to know. If the CTA wants to tell you, that's their business. I was not told the problem with an implied permission that I could tell others. That's one way my sources are comfortable talking with me. I'm not shutting off my sources.

Next question.

David H.

"Need to know." Please explain how you qualify to know and how you deem others not qualified to know? That remark, protecting your source aside, smacks of arrogance.

• Upvote 1

"Need to know." Please explain how you qualify to know and how you deem others not qualified to know? That remark, protecting your source aside, smacks of arrogance.

No it doesn't; it is arrogance.

All it proves it that someone associated with the CTA thinks he knows more than the person on the street, even though CTA spawned the track inspector scandal, the NABI acceptance leading to their scrapping, wasting $300 million on Block 37, the Red Line fix of 2005, just to mention a few of probably dozens, and yet wants to call others stupid. Sort of like the other one whom I asked for his credentials.

When CTA cleans up its management problems, including having an incompetent Executive Director (yes I meant that), maybe we will pay those who rely on leakers--whether they publish what their sources say, or sneer that they know more because of their sources--heed.

I have no problem with that. I will NEVER promise to tell you everything you ask about. If I can, I will, and if I can't, I won't. This isn't life and death issues. Railroaders call it "foaming."

DH

• Upvote 1

No it doesn't; it is arrogance.

If that is what it seems to you, so be it. Won't change my life whatsoever. Like I told the other poster, if I can tell you or help you, I will. If I can't, I won't. I owe you nothing, correct?

All it proves it that someone associated with the CTA thinks he knows more than the person on the street, even though CTA spawned the track inspector scandal, the NABI acceptance leading to their scrapping, wasting $300 million on Block 37, the Red Line fix of 2005, just to mention a few of probably dozens, and yet wants to call others stupid. Sort of like the other one whom I asked for his credentials.

When CTA cleans up its management problems, including having an incompetent Executive Director (yes I meant that), maybe we will pay those who rely on leakers--whether they publish what their sources say, or sneer that they know more because of their sources--heed.

Those sound like your personal issues with the Chicago Transit Authority. Take it up with them, not me. I have no say-so whatsoever. I just want you to be clear about my role, nothing else. Are we clear? Anything else?

DH

• Upvote 1

As far as the 5000 series coming to the Green Line is concerned dose a new 6car set of trains come in every Sunday? And if so how many are currently on the Green Line to date?? I'm guessing 26 so far but if I'm wrong please correct me.

I would guess incorrect. However, I can't say how many exactly are on the Green Line, but the last update of rosters I got showed 12 railcars assigned(updated 7/3/12 under the "L" Rosters thread). With the 4th of July holiday, that might've slowed production for a couple of days.

• Upvote 1

As far as the 5000 series coming to the Green Line is concerned dose a new 6car set of trains come in every Sunday? And if so how many are currently on the Green Line to date?? I'm guessing 26 so far but if I'm wrong please correct me.

Now we're getting really close to the colored LED destination signs. One of the sets Artthouwill mentioned, #5041-42, was on the Pink Line yesterday. The other one #5039-40 is on the Green Line and it finally has Green line car cards. The Green line still has #5019-22, #5049-50, #5071-72, #5077-78, #5081-82. (they've had those for 3 weeks, and they still have Pink Line car cards.) Yesterday there was a new consist from the Pink line that had #5079-80, #5025-26 in it. They seem to have some in the yard and one in service. If anyone is curious I believe one comes through Clark/Lake WB around 5:40 PM. (that's a pull in at Harlem) There doesn't seem to be any other changes this week (other than Pink line) as far as assignments on the other lines either.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to those who gave some updates. As for the person who's going through this whole spiel about someone's qualifications in giving their opinions do realize if you don't agree with another person's post one of the rules of the board is to be respectful in your disagreement, and belittling one's knowledge in a certain area or openly characterizing what they say as being stupid doesn't qualify as acknowledgment of that rule regardless of your credentials or expertise in a certain area.

• Upvote 3

It's a video of the new color LED 5000's on YouTube it's a guy on there by the name of eyetube21 who has a lot of great footage of the new series in action on both the Pink and Green Line including as I stated in the beginning of my post the new colored LED signs which are on the Pink Line looks just like the classic roller curtains of the older series of cars. Once on YouTube just type 5000's series color LED signs and you'll see for yourself. I would've post it up myself but I don't know how just yet lol but check it out if you like to see them in action he just put this up today too. And if you're on here eyetube21 you put up great videos of the new cars keep up the good work.

It's a video of the new color LED 5000's on YouTube it's a guy on there by the name of eyetube21 who has a lot of great footage of the new series in action on both the Pink and Green Line including as I stated in the beginning of my post the new colored LED signs which are on the Pink Line looks just like the classic roller curtains of the older series of cars. Once on YouTube just type 5000's series color LED signs and you'll see for yourself. I would've post it up myself but I don't know how just yet lol but check it out if you like to see them in action he just put this up today too. And if you're on here eyetube21 you put up great videos of the new cars keep up the good work.

Hi, Mr.cta85. I'm eyetube21. Thanks for watching my Youtube videos and I'm really have a great time make videos of CTA trains. I'll do my best to make people enjoy my videos as I can. These new color LED signs of the 5000-Series on the Pink Line was really nice.

• Upvote 1