5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

It's a video of the new color LED 5000's on YouTube it's a guy on there by the name of eyetube21 who has a lot of great footage of the new series in action on both the Pink and Green Line including as I stated in the beginning of my post the new colored LED signs which are on the Pink Line looks just like the classic roller curtains of the older series of cars....

Here's a link.

I guess the surprising thing is that it is like the roller signs, i.e. white on pink, instead of pink on black.

Of course, the train is going by too quick to read them.

• Upvote 1

Here's a link.

I guess the surprising thing is that it is like the roller signs, i.e. white on pink, instead of pink on black.

Of course, the train is going by too quick to read them.

How can you see those??? You got bright sunlight on a quickly departing train. The angle was not the best... I couldn't see nothing but bright sunlight.

How can you see those??? You got bright sunlight on a quickly departing train. The angle was not the best... I couldn't see nothing but bright sunlight.

Even though you couldn't see them clearly you can still tell they we're pink line cars heading to 54/cermak, you can actually see the signage if you look closely lol at least I did. Either way I'm glad the new cars with the color LED signs finally coming in and with the "throwback" roller curtain look.

Hi, Mr.cta85. I'm eyetube21. Thanks for watching my Youtube videos and I'm really have a great time make videos of CTA trains. I'll do my best to make people enjoy my videos as I can. These new color LED signs of the 5000-Series on the Pink Line was really nice.

No problem it's only right I acknowledged you because a lot of times I don't have or get the chance to actually see the new cars on the Green Line so I'm happy knowing that I can at least see them in action in some way. I'm a Green Line rider I'm sure eventually once more cars come in I'll have a better chance or riding them again but until then I'll check your videos out lol.

No problem it's only right I acknowledged you because a lot of times I don't have or get the chance to actually see the new cars on the Green Line so I'm happy knowing that I can at least see them in action in some way. I'm a Green Line rider I'm sure eventually once more cars come in I'll have a better chance or riding them again but until then I'll check your videos out lol.

Thanks a lot. I'm happy that the Green Line get the 5000s for good. I really like them and I'm also a Green Line rider since 1996, when the 2400-Series came in service. I lived on the south side of Chicago. I remember that time that I ride it to Harlem/Lake terminal, and take pictures at that time. When I make videos of the 5000s on the Green Line, lots of riders are very pleased about it. I'm very happy that more 5000s are coming to the Green Line.

The only relevant consideration is whether they can be read while the train is stopped in the station (which is the only way boarding passengers are going to read the side signs). That wasn't depicted in the video, but I guess those who rely on the Internet postings of others can't complain.

Moving on, what may be the next question is whether the Green Line ones will differentiate between white on green Ashland-63 and green on white Cottage Grove, as the roll signs do now.

The only relevant consideration is whether they can be read while the train is stopped in the station (which is the only way boarding passengers are going to read the side signs). That wasn't depicted in the video, but I guess those who rely on the Internet postings of others can't complain.

Moving on, what may be the next question is whether the Green Line ones will differentiate between white on green Ashland-63 and green on white Cottage Grove, as the roll signs do now.

I got a good look at the new signs. The signs are smaller than the sign on the sides of the existing #5000's. I would say there 16 inches across versus 2 feet. It looks exactly like there using the sign size on the ends of the cars (they are smaller than the ones on the side) Only the exterior sign is colorized, the interior is amber as well as the next stop signs. The signs do light up well, but your right I think there going to have an issue when they run a green lettered sign on a white background. It looks like the white light is going to be superior and bleach out the rest of the sign. Cottage Grove might just have to go with green signs like Harlem and Ashand/63rd do now.

... The signs do light up well, but your right I think there going to have an issue when they run a green lettered sign on a white background. It looks like the white light is going to be superior and bleach out the rest of the sign....

Usually the programmers can adjust the intensity of any hue; look at any modern paint or word processing program under the color picker, eg. Windows Paint has "Hue, Saturation, and Luminosity" as well as RGB values.

Hey CTA programmers, reading this?

Also interesting that the side signs are shorter than before, and the inside ones weren't changed. It is going to be hard to get COTTAGE GROVE or FOREST PARK on them (based on the number of characters). Certainly not like LOOP.

I got a good look at the new signs. The signs are smaller than the sign on the sides of the existing #5000's. I would say there 16 inches across versus 2 feet. It looks exactly like there using the sign size on the ends of the cars (they are smaller than the ones on the side) Only the exterior sign is colorized, the interior is amber as well as the next stop signs. The signs do light up well, but your right I think there going to have an issue when they run a green lettered sign on a white background. It looks like the white light is going to be superior and bleach out the rest of the sign. Cottage Grove might just have to go with green signs like Harlem and Ashand/63rd do now.

Yeah I agree with you on the Cottage Grove signs going with the Ashland/63 and Harlem look. I don't see why they didn't have that look with the current roller curtains. I mean if people can tell the difference between Ashland/63 and Harlem signs then I don't see what would be so complicated with Cottage Grove looking like the other 2 signs just look at the sign to see where you're going lol.

Yeah I agree with you on the Cottage Grove signs going with the Ashland/63 and Harlem look. I don't see why they didn't have that look with the current roller curtains. I mean if people can tell the difference between Ashland/63 and Harlem signs then I don't see what would be so complicated with Cottage Grove looking like the other 2 signs just look at the sign to see where you're going lol.

some people are creatures of habit. It is bad enough people still get on the wrong train even with colored signs and train announcements.

Ashland-63 and Harlem-Lake trains are going in the opposite direction.

When Douglas was part of the Blue Line, the 54-Cermak signs were also reversed, i.e. blue on white.

Ashland-63 and Harlem-Lake trains are going in the opposite direction.

When Douglas was part of the Blue Line, the 54-Cermak signs were also reversed, i.e. blue on white.

Yeah that's true on both Ashland/63 to Harlem and the Blue Line as well, I'm just saying they the passengers just have to look at the sings and should be fine :)

Because they don't pay attention to the signs. They need to take the time and look carefully.

Reminds me of a time when I was living in Evanston... I boarded a Purple Express at Belmont and was standing near a couple on the train who were trying to get to the Kimball stop. Initially I felt bad for them, since they were from out of town, but they continued complaining about the trains being confusing and how long the "express" train was taking to get to Howard. True, the Brown and Purple board from the same side of the platform at Belmont, but the roller signs clearly said "Linden" instead of "Kimball," and if they had taken 15 seconds to double-check, they would have been fine.

(That makes me sound like I'm a bitter old man! They weren't THAT bad, honestly, but the complaining got to me after a while. :P )

I have a question regardless of the 5000s on the Green Line. How many 5000s will the Green Line received? They have 18 of them in service so far. They still have 94 2400s are assigned. Once the 2400s will transfer to the Red, is the Green Line get 94 of them or more?

So far today, I have seen cars 5025-5026, 5045-5046, 5047-5048, 5053-5054, 5055-5056, 5079-5080, 5083-5084 and 5085-5086 parked in the Harlem Yard at the west end of the Green Line. Another set of 5000s is sitting inside the Harlem Shops and two other 5000-series cars were obstructed by a 5000-series train (this train was made of 5025-5026, 5079-5080 and 5047-5048, with 5025-5026 and 5079-5080 now having Green Line route cards inside). Cars 5019-5020, 5021-5022, 5039-5040, 5049-5050, 5071-5072, 5077-5078 and 5081-5082 may also still be on the line.

Thus, it appears right now that the new deliveries are going to the Pink Line while some of the earlier deliveries that first ran on the Pink Line are being moved to the Green Line. If this assignment pattern continues over the next three years or so, the Green Line will generally be given the lowest-numbered (and thus oldest) 5000s while the Pink Line will generally have the highest-numbered 5000s (not yet delivered). The 5000s with multicolored exterior signs that the Pink Line is currently receiving will ultimately end up on the Red Line or the Orange Line when either of those two lines begin to receive 5000s.

Even though you couldn't see them clearly you can still tell they we're pink line cars heading to 54/cermak, you can actually see the signage if you look closely lol at least I did. Either way I'm glad the new cars with the color LED signs finally coming in and with the "throwback" roller curtain look.

First I just want to welcome eyetube21 to the forum. I have been watching your videos for a good amount of time and sometimes get envious myself on how you get to ride the CTA so often, not to mention take so many excellent videos of the action! :)

Second, though eyetube21's video shows just the pink color of the new LED signs, the CTA appears to have an official press release of the new signage, as well as a photo up close. Looks good!

So far today, I have seen cars 5025-5026, 5045-5046, 5047-5048, 5053-5054, 5055-5056, 5079-5080, 5083-5084 and 5085-5086 parked in the Harlem Yard at the west end of the Green Line. Another set of 5000s is sitting inside the Harlem Shops and two other 5000-series cars were obstructed by a 5000-series train (this train was made of 5025-5026, 5079-5080 and 5047-5048, with 5025-5026 and 5079-5080 now having Green Line route cards inside). Cars 5019-5020, 5021-5022, 5039-5040, 5049-5050, 5071-5072, 5077-5078 and 5081-5082 may also still be on the line.

Thus, it appears right now that the new deliveries are going to the Pink Line while some of the earlier deliveries that first ran on the Pink Line are being moved to the Green Line. If this assignment pattern continues over the next three years or so, the Green Line will generally be given the lowest-numbered (and thus oldest) 5000s while the Pink Line will generally have the highest-numbered 5000s (not yet delivered). The 5000s with multicolored exterior signs that the Pink Line is currently receiving will ultimately end up on the Red Line or the Orange Line when either of those two lines begin to receive 5000s.

Thanks a lot, RJ6000. I really like these 5000s on the Green Line. Oh, by the way, there are some changes made of the 5000s roster. I spotted the 5000s car numbers #5019-#5020, #5081-#5082 on the Pink Line today. I don't know the first two lead cars. But, car number #5019-#5020, #5081-#5082 are the last four cars of the six-car set on the Pink Line. They used them on the Green Line for the past few weeks ago.

First I just want to welcome eyetube21 to the forum. I have been watching your videos for a good amount of time and sometimes get envious myself on how you get to ride the CTA so often, not to mention take so many excellent videos of the action! :)

Second, though eyetube21's video shows just the pink color of the new LED signs, the CTA appears to have an official press release of the new signage, as well as a photo up close. Looks good!

Thanks nflyer22. I really happy to be here. This is my first time join Chicagobus.org forum as a member. Thanks for watching my videos and I will continued to do my best to make more videos of "L" trains. I also spotted these color LED signs of the 5000s again on the Pink Line today. I'll put it on my Youtube page today. My little sister and I saw them at Clinton/Lake station. We ride it as far as Clark/Lake station. I made a video of them there. Hope you'll enjoy it, too.

Tonight, run ,318 is a 6 car Pink Line train and run 313 is a 4 car Pink Line train, both of course, are 5000s.

I suppose the minor work I witnessed some CTA rail construction workers doing on the tracks within the Tower 18 junction at Wells and Lake Friday morning at the tailend of the morning rush as the Pink Line train I was aboard was turning the curve from the Wells structure to Lake has something to do with art's report of the Pink Line having 4 car runs in service. I'm only making an educated guess so anyone who knows the actual purpose of the work I noticed being done is free to state whether my guess is correct.

Thanks nflyer22. I really happy to be here. This is my first time join Chicagobus.org forum as a member. Thanks for watching my videos and I will continued to do my best to make more videos of "L" trains. I also spotted these color LED signs of the 5000s again on the Pink Line today. I'll put it on my Youtube page today. My little sister and I saw them at Clinton/Lake station. We ride it as far as Clark/Lake station. I made a video of them there. Hope you'll enjoy it, too.

Yes welcome. I saw your Pink Line video clip that others referenced and to which Busjack provided a link. You actually are able to see '54/Cermak' in white lettering against pink background similar to the roller curtain signs. You just have to have a quick eye to see it as the train begins to accelerate in your shot. :lol:

Yes welcome. I saw your Pink Line video clip that others referenced and to which Busjack provided a link. You actually are able to see '54/Cermak' in white lettering against pink background similar to the roller curtain signs. You just have to have a quick eye to see it as the train begins to accelerate in your shot. :lol:

Thanks jajuan. I'm so happy that you watching my videos. Yes, the colorized LED signs are able to read. It's just like the other trains. You can read it clearly, but it's bright.

I suppose the minor work I witnessed some CTA rail construction workers doing on the tracks within the Tower 18 junction at Wells and Lake Friday morning at the tailend of the morning rush as the Pink Line train I was aboard was turning the curve from the Wells structure to Lake has something to do with art's report of the Pink Line having 4 car runs in service. I'm only making an educated guess so anyone who knows the actual purpose of the work I noticed being done is free to state whether my guess is correct.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that the track workers were doing something that had to do with the Pink Line running four-car trains, but track inspectors/track workers are on the system at some location or another pretty much every day, for various reasons. So, odds are more likely that they were just doing the same thing they do every other day.