5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

At this very moment I am on eastbound Green Line Run #005, which consists entirely of amber-sign 5100s (5112-5111-5105-5106-5114-5113) headed towards Cottage Grove. I am sitting inside the lead car in the consist, 5112. It appears that the new cars from the Skokie Shops are alternating between the Pink and Green Lines on a weekly basis with some of the already-in-service cars being swapped between the two lines.

Thanks RJL6000. I also seen the same 5000s on the Green Line both directions. There also some roster moves as well. I just ride the Pink Line today, I just seen #5057-58 back on the Pink Line again.

Thanks RJL6000. I also seen the same 5000s on the Green Line both directions. There also some roster moves as well. I just ride the Pink Line today, I just seen #5057-58 back on the Pink Line again.

Around Noon I rode in that same set going back to Harlem/Lake (but this time, I sat in car 5106). When it arrived at Harlem around 12:30, it went back out on a revenue trip to Ashland/63.

Since this looks like the more appropriate topic (since this started with BusHunter posting that the 5000s were etched):

Right. They're just as likely to get etched on the Green given the Green runs through both the West and South sides. On a side note, those 3200s serving the Orange are also facing a bad tagging problem. I've been noticing that these past few weekends with the Orange and Brown Lines operating as one line with the Loop Elevated construction project still ongoing.

I was going to modify my remark, to the extent that 54th Yard is at ground level, and thus a bit easier to enter.

However, in that cars are being tagged everywhere, there were reports of people getting into the Forest Park Blue Line yard, etc. no where is safe. You would think that CTA had better security, especially around its yards.

Today I thought I saw a puddycat....I mean 3 sets of 5000s in revenue service. That's right 3, with another set sitting in Harlem Yard. All 3 were heading to 63/Cottage Grove in revenue service. The first set included 5043/44, 5091/2, and 5017/8. The other two sets I didn't catch the numbers, though the following set had cars with the new LED signage.

Today I thought I saw a puddycat....I mean 3 sets of 5000s in revenue service. That's right 3, with another set sitting in Harlem Yard. All 3 were heading to 63/Cottage Grove in revenue service. The first set included 5043/44, 5091/2, and 5017/8. The other two sets I didn't catch the numbers, though the following set had cars with the new LED signage.

You know what it was actually 5 sets out i saw for myself 3 heading to harlem and 2 the opposite directions.

Since this looks like the more appropriate topic (since this started with BusHunter posting that the 5000s were etched):

I was going to modify my remark, to the extent that 54th Yard is at ground level, and thus a bit easier to enter.

However, in that cars are being tagged everywhere, there were reports of people getting into the Forest Park Blue Line yard, etc. no where is safe. You would think that CTA had better security, especially around its yards.

I don't think it's happening while the cars are in the yard. This is happening while the cars are in service. A 6 car train on the Pink line around midnight would be mostly empty. I can see why they would want them to go back to 4 cars. What I don't understand is that these #5000's have the ability for the operator to see what's going on in his/her train. (once the operator told someone to put out a cigarette on a different car while the train was in motion) Either someone is turning a blind eye to this or these guys are that good, but when your etching the doors that go car to car that should be obvious.

I don't think it's happening while the cars are in the yard. This is happening while the cars are in service. A 6 car train on the Pink line around midnight would be mostly empty. I can see why they would want them to go back to 4 cars. What I don't understand is that these #5000's have the ability for the operator to see what's going on in his/her train. (once the operator told someone to put out a cigarette on a different car while the train was in motion) Either someone is turning a blind eye to this or these guys are that good, but when your etching the doors that go car to car that should be obvious.

I guess what is unclear is whether the etching is going on inside or outside the car. I infer from your last post that it is inside.

Nevertheless, the inside certainly should have the film.

And, even if the operator is not watching the camera feed, the recording still should be downloaded to the police department (which they say the bus camera recordings are if there is an incident).

I just ride the new colorized signs of the 5000s on the Green Line, today. I caught it at Clark/Lake station heading toward Cottage Grove terminal. I was on car number #5121. The 6 cars were #5053-54, #5121-22 and #5035-36. Green Line riders were thrilled about these new trains as I ride it. haha..

I just ride the new colorized signs of the 5000s on the Green Line, today. I caught it at Clark/Lake station heading toward Cottage Grove terminal. I was on car number #5121. The 6 cars were #5053-54, #5121-22 and #5035-36. Green Line riders were thrilled about these new trains as I ride it. haha..

Looks like there finally starting to assign cars to the Green line. (versus borrowing them) All the #5100's should now be on the Green line. (spotted #5109-10, #5115-18 in a Green line consist yesterday) Spotted only 58 cars yesterday on the pink line and at 54th yard. Looks like there trying to get more #5000 trains available for the Green line even though there not delivering too quickly. Couldn't spot a #2400 higher than #2495-96 either on the Green.

And, even if the operator is not watching the camera feed, the recording still should be downloaded to the police department (which they say the bus camera recordings are if there is an incident).

Operators cannot see the camera feed unless someone presses the PIU (Passenger Intercom Unit) and only when the train is stopped are we able to view the camera feeds only in the car where it was pressed (if the system is working).

• Upvote 1

Operators cannot see the camera feed unless someone presses the PIU (Passenger Intercom Unit) and only when the train is stopped are we able to view the camera feeds only in the car where it was pressed (if the system is working).

I was figuring something like that. A 6-car train would have something like 24 or 36 cameras, and having to watch that, and the diagnostic panel, besides having to operate the train (which is the operator's job) would be too much.

The police download should still be there though?

The Green Line has used 4 sets of 6-car 5000s in service going both directions on the south side. I have seen them going to Ashland/63rd and Cottage Grove terminals. It's great to see them in service. It looks like the 2400s are ready to go to the Red Line soon.

Those are nice, especially after seeing the Color displays the last few days (it's impossible these days to get me downtown).

2400's are already seen on the Red Line (from my observation in the last week).

Those are nice, especially after seeing the Color displays the last few days (it's impossible these days to get me downtown).

2400's are already seen on the Red Line (from my observation in the last week).

Yes, #2501-02 was on the Red line on Thursday, so the Green line has lost at least 8 cars this week. (#2504-#2469 mismate is still on the Green line) A quick scan of Skokie shops reveals about 10 #5000's on the storage track. So next week if not sooner we should see some more arrive to the Green line. With them having 36 #5000's as of this week, this next delivery should put them close to having half the Green line fleet #5000 series.

Yes, #2501-02 was on the Red line on Thursday, so the Green line has lost at least 8 cars this week. (#2504-#2469 mismate is still on the Green line) A quick scan of Skokie shops reveals about 10 #5000's on the storage track. So next week if not sooner we should see some more arrive to the Green line. With them having 36 #5000's as of this week, this next delivery should put them close to having half the Green line fleet #5000 series.

Yeah the 36 5000 series on the Green Line is very accurate cause I saw about 4 sets alone in both directions pass in a matter of mins one set had the new color LED signs heading to Ashland/63, including cars 5091 and 92. It also looks like the older cars 5115 and below are already receiving the new color LED technology replacing the original amber color lights. So yeah they are really starting to come along now after that slow period they had.

Yeah the 36 5000 series on the Green Line is very accurate cause I saw about 4 sets alone in both directions pass in a matter of mins one set had the new color LED signs heading to Ashland/63, including cars 5091 and 92. It also looks like the older cars 5115 and below are already receiving the new color LED technology replacing the original amber color lights. So yeah they are really starting to come along now after that slow period they had.

Finally, there is (or will be) some semblance of numerical order with the 5000s. With 5003-5012 still not on CTA property (at least not that I know of), plus the retrofit of the existing amber-sign 5000s with multicolored signs, it looks like the Pink Line will have cars 5001-5002 and 5013-5068 while the Green Line will have everything above 5068 when the Green Line's assignment of the new cars is complete.

Finally, there is (or will be) some semblance of numerical order with the 5000s. With 5003-5012 still not on CTA property (at least not that I know of), plus the retrofit of the existing amber-sign 5000s with multicolored signs, it looks like the Pink Line will have cars 5001-5002 and 5013-5068 while the Green Line will have everything above 5068 when the Green Line's assignment of the new cars is complete.

I just can't wait till it happens. The Green Line 2400s are going bye bye.

Just a few minutes ago I saw a Green Line consist of 5000s at Adams/Wabash (Run 001, headed towards Cottage Grove) consisting of 5029-5030-5098-5097-5124-5123. The lead unit, 5029-5030, still had the amber destination signs while 5098-5097 and 5124-5123 had the newer multicolored signs.

Also, I saw another Cottage Grove-bound Set of 5000s led by multicolor-signed 5126-5125 (the other four cars still had amber signs).

As I rode in a 2400 by the Oak Park station, I saw a third train of 5000s - this one headed to Ashland/63rd. The end pairs of that consist had the multicolored signs but the middle pair still had amber signs.

Finally, at Harlem Yard I spotted 5095-5096. The 5090s now have the colored signs.

Just a few minutes ago I saw a Green Line consist of 5000s at Adams/Wabash (Run 001, headed towards Cottage Grove) consisting of 5029-5030-5098-5097-5124-5123. The lead unit, 5029-5030, still had the amber destination signs while 5098-5097 and 5124-5123 had the newer multicolored signs.

Also, I saw another Cottage Grove-bound Set of 5000s led by multicolor-signed 5126-5125 (the other four cars still had amber signs).

As I rode in a 2400 by the Oak Park station, I saw a third train of 5000s - this one headed to Ashland/63rd. The end pairs of that consist had the multicolored signs but the middle pair still had amber signs.

Finally, at Harlem Yard I spotted 5095-5096. The 5090s now have the colored signs.

I also saw the same cars of 5000s while I catch the Green Line at 47th Street station. I made videos of them arrive and departing as well. It's great to see them arrive on the Green Line.

5091 & 5092 are new cars and have not had the signs retrofitted. Cars with amber signs are up to 5086 and 5105-5114.

5091 & 5092 are new cars and have not had the signs retrofitted. Cars with amber signs are up to 5086 and 5105-5114.

Actually, 5001-5086, 5089-5092 and 5105-5114 still have the amber signs. Some of the 5090s, such as 5097-5098 and (presumably) 5095-5096, were originally planned to be delivered with the amber signs but were retrofit with the colored signs at the factory before they were delivered to the CTA.