5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I think it has to do with balance. For the Red Line, that means have upper 2600s AND 2400s. The Blue Line running 2200s have no 2400s at all (never had and never will). I believe the Blue will be all 2600s eventually when the 2200s are completely gone. Based on the 5000s seating configuration, the 5000s would not work at all.

Actually, the predecessor to the Blue Line - the old West-Northwest Route - did have some 2400s (the upper-numbered ones, in the mid- to upper 2500s up to 2600) during the late 1970s and early 1980s. They were all transferred to the West-South Route (then Lake-Dan Ryan) by 1982, in exchange for all of the West-South's remaining 2200s.

Green Line running four-car consists of 5000s wouldn't enable any extra 2400s to move, since it doesn't reduce the actual car requirement on the route. They still run six-car sets during the week.

Six-car sets are still the rule during rush periods on the Green Line. What that means is that the Green Line can now run four-car sets of 5000s during off-peak periods (midday, evenings, weekends).

I cant believe that the Blue Line, the 2nd busiest rapid transt line in the system, which serves a good portion of the city and the one of the country's largest and busiest airports is losing some of its newer equipment and being replaced by CTAs oldest cars. This is just plain ridiculous! Sending out its newer 2900 to 3100s and getting the oldest 2600s in the fleet? This sucks! So now the Blue Line will run some of the oldest and most worn equipment in the fleet! Great way to welcome in visitors to Chicago!

They still work (aside from the constant AC problems I've experienced this summer).

I cant believe that the Blue Line, the 2nd busiest rapid transt line in the system, which serves a good portion of the city and the one of the country's largest and busiest airports is losing some of its newer equipment and being replaced by CTAs oldest cars. This is just plain ridiculous! Sending out its newer 2900 to 3100s and getting the oldest 2600s in the fleet? This sucks! So now the Blue Line will run some of the oldest and most worn equipment in the fleet! Great way to welcome in visitors to Chicago!

Balance is the key here. The Blue Line has not only the oldest 2600s in the fleet, but also some of the "newest" 2600s in the fleet. When the Pink Line went completely 5000s, the Blue Line received some of those upper 3100s from the Pink Line. The Blue Line would then lose a few of its upper 2900s to lower 3100s to the Red and Purple Lines. Thus, currently the Blue Line not only has 2601-2602 (the first set of 2600s built), but also 3199-3200 (the last train cars ever built by Budd).

As for the 5000s themselves, a few additional 5000s that were originally delivered with the amber LED destination signs have been retrofit with the new multicolored LED exterior destination signs. Eastbound on the Lake Street portion of the Green Line, I was in car 5103 of the 5103-5104 pair (which as another member stated was originally delivered to the CTA with the amber signs), now with multicolored signs on the outside. I also saw cars 5073-5074 (the lead pair of the four-car consist that 5103-5104 was part of, Run 609) with the new retrofits, as was unit 5111-5112 (which I was on going back westbound towards Harlem). While 5111-5112 was retrofit with the multicolored LED signs, 5113-5114 still has its original amber LED signs.

And unit 5027-5028, which were retrofit with the multicolored signs while they were temporarily assigned to the Green Line, is now back on the Pink Line.

Balance is the key here. The Blue Line has not only the oldest 2600s in the fleet, but also some of the "newest" 2600s in the fleet.

But apparently is going to have the oldest of the fleet when this is said and done, compared to 5000s and rehabbed 3200s.

Of course they said that 74th could get by with all 6000 series buses, too. Lasted a while, but then...

• Upvote 1

I think it has to do with balance. For the Red Line, that means have upper 2600s AND 2400s. The Blue Line running 2200s have no 2400s at all (never had and never will). I believe the Blue will be all 2600s eventually when the 2200s are completely gone. Based on the 5000s seating configuration, the 5000s would not work at all.

As far as the 3200s go, if they do a rehab to make them electrically compatable with the 5000s, it seems that they would get all of the upgrades except reconfiguring the seats (if what CTA says is true concerning seating as part of the overall design structure of the cars). These cars may or may not make it to the Blue Line. We will see down the line.

I agree with CTA5750, I'm also disappointed that Blue Line been receiving the oldest 2600s, some of them are little worse than 2200. The way the couple single seating setting on every car of 3200s, 3200s would be a great fit for Blue Line for Visitors with Luggages, when after the rest of 2200s are retired, I'm really hoping that Blue Line would officially will receive 3200s (maybe from the Brown Line), Let the Brown Line get the 5000s, and let Orange Line keep their 3200s for visitors to and from Midway Airport.

Happened to see a six car Green Line train turning the Lake/Wabash curve toward Harlem yesterday afternoon with the first four cars having the amber signs and the last two having the colored LEDs on the left side but the amber ones on the right hand side. Didn't get to see the car numbers from the 144 bus I was riding, but thought this odd that a couple of cars retrofitted on one side but not on the other.

Happened to see a six car Green Line train turning the Lake/Wabash curve toward Harlem yesterday afternoon with the first four cars having the amber signs and the last two having the colored LEDs on the left side but the amber ones on the right hand side. Didn't get to see the car numbers from the 144 bus I was riding, but thought this odd that a couple of cars retrofitted on one side but not on the other.

I also spotted cars #5071-72, #5049-50, #5077-78 are back on the Green Line again from the Pink Line. I was on car #5072 heading to Ashland/63rd terminal.

I also spotted cars #5071-72, #5049-50, #5077-78 are back on the Green Line again from the Pink Line. I was on car #5072 heading to Ashland/63rd terminal.

I saw your train but was heading the other direction at that time.

I also saw a four car set of 2400s eastbound on Van Buren (outer Loop tracks) with Express signs, but then it turned south at Wabash.

I also noticed that I haven't seen ANY LED signs on ANY Pink Line trains lately. While there are some amber signs still on the Green Line, the LED signage has been increasing on the GReen. I understand that the retrofits are supposedly being done at the Harlem shop, but its odd that that I haven't seen the retrofits on Pink in about a week.

I also saw a four car set of 2400s eastbound on Van Buren (outer Loop tracks) with Express signs, but then it turned south at Wabash.

I also noticed that I haven't seen ANY LED signs on ANY Pink Line trains lately. While there are some amber signs still on the Green Line, the LED signage has been increasing on the GReen. I understand that the retrofits are supposedly being done at the Harlem shop, but its odd that that I haven't seen the retrofits on Pink in about a week.t

I also ride the Pink Line today, I did saw the colorized LED signs says"54th/Cermak" going to 54th Avenue terminal. It must be car #5027-28, but I'm not sure! Someone has mentioned about 5093-94 and 5131-5132 was on the Red Line for testing around the system. I'm wondering are they headed to the Green Line for assigned?

They still work (aside from the constant AC problems I've experienced this summer).

Because of OHare Airport, the Blue Line welcomes in visitors from all over the world. They should be welcomed with newer equipment! Not the oldest!!! Just like incompetent CTA management!

Since Chicago-l.org still has yet to update the roster can somebody tell me how many 5000's are currently on the Green Line? I'm sure the Green Line is either about 50% if not more than that but just curious as to how many exactly that's all.

According to BusHunter's CTA L roster, there are currently 68 or over 70 5000s on the Green Line, but I'm not sure. I also seen #5081-82 and #5051-52 on the Green Line as well. They actually came from the Pink Line.

According to BusHunter's CTA L roster, there are currently 68 or over 70 5000s on the Green Line, but I'm not sure. I also seen #5081-82 and #5051-52 on the Green Line as well. They actually came from the Pink Line.

I fixed the list. Transfers occur almost daily. BTW, this week, I put up a new update on what's left for #2200's. I'm not seeing those too much in Rosemont yard anymore, just the ones on the side that are either being stored or waiting to go in the shop. I also added 8 former red line #2600's to the blue line list.

I also noticed that I haven't seen ANY LED signs on ANY Pink Line trains lately. While there are some amber signs still on the Green Line, the LED signage has been increasing on the GReen. I understand that the retrofits are supposedly being done at the Harlem shop, but its odd that that I haven't seen the retrofits on Pink in about a week.

I actually did see 2 LED sign programmed railcars(in case you're referring to the ones where the display isn't just orange letters against a black background) on the Pink Line, when I came back from being out of town late Saturday night/early Sunday morning going northbound on Wells. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the numbers of those 2 5000s. Agreed though that most on the Pink Line are of the orange 'amber' lettering type, and that the Green Line has more of the reprogrammed LED displays(with a few older 'amber' displays here and there infrequently as well).

Spotted #5133-34 and #5139-40 in a consist on the Green line yesterday.

The Green Line must have picked up a good 10 cars this week. They transferred 2451-2458 to the Red Line last night/this morning because they are still coupled together and sitting in Howard Yard. Also, noticed 5023-5024 and another pair sitting in Howard yard this morning.

The Green Line must have picked up a good 10 cars this week. They transferred 2451-2458 to the Red Line last night/this morning because they are still coupled together and sitting in Howard Yard. Also, noticed 5023-5024 and another pair sitting in Howard yard this morning.

Sounds like there getting ready for #5000 training on the Red line. I guess we'll be seeing some there from now on. The Red line is scheduled to begin receiving #5000's in November. The timing would seem correct also. I believe they tested on the other 2 lines at least a month ahead of time.