5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Riding on said pair now. Green Line Run 005.

#5135-36 was out on the Green line yesterday. Seems like there speeding up the retrofit of colorized LED's. spotted #5073-74, #5081-84, #5093-94, #5109-10 all done in the last week. #5035-36, #5039-40 (last on the Pink line) and another set was out of service on the loop "L" last night. We'll have to see if those turn up on the Green line again.

#5135-36 was out on the Green line yesterday. Seems like there speeding up the retrofit of colorized LED's. spotted #5073-74, #5081-84, #5093-94, #5109-10 all done in the last week. #5035-36, #5039-40 (last on the Pink line) and another set was out of service on the loop "L" last night. We'll have to see if those turn up on the Green line again.

May be speeding up the retrofits to finish in time for their arrival on the Red Line. Question is will Red get brand new ones or hand me downs from the Green and Pink as the new cars continue to flow in?

May be speeding up the retrofits to finish in time for their arrival on the Red Line. Question is will Red get brand new ones or hand me downs from the Green and Pink as the new cars continue to flow in?

Besides that, the statements that the Dan Ryan can't get any until it is fixed. Sounds contradictory.

Besides that, the statements that the Dan Ryan can't get any until it is fixed. Sounds contradictory.

Sounds like you missed reading this response I posted about the question of running 5000s on the current Dan Ryan Red Line before making track improvements.

On the flyers CTA gave out at the Dan Ryan public.hearings, it stated that if the project would take place on weekends only %as opposed to the 5 month shutdown) they would have to continue running the older cars on that line instead of the new.

Thanks for your response.

The current "handout" version and the website version don't seem to have that exact phrase.

How will this benefit Red Line riders?

New tracks will improve travel times and increase reliability for the tens of thousands of riders who use

the Dan Ryan Branch each day.

Around 40 percent of the Dan Ryan Branch includes slow zones, meaning trains — and the people on them —

get to their destinations much more slowly. With so many rides originating or ending on the

Red Line, these delays affect the entire system. When this project is complete, customers will enjoy faster,

smoother, more reliable rides.

Additionally, the station improvements will enhance the customer experience, and the new elevators at Gar-

field, 63rd and 87th will make those stations fully accessible.

The project will create hundreds of jobs, and the CTA is working closely with community officials to

promote contracting and employment opportunities.

The five-month construction option will save as much as $75 million over the option to perform the work on

weekends only. That $75 million savings will be reinvested into station upgrades along the South Red Line—

including three new elevators, painting, new lighting and other upgrades—and will help CTA

provide alternative service during construction.

A weekends-only option would take four years to complete, and would be confusing and dif-

ficult for riders to adapt to. It would also impact tens of thousands of customers each week

on the line that sees the highest number of weekend customers—weekend ridership on the

Red Line is 2/3 that of weekday ridership.

The website includes two instances of mentioning rail cars.

Other benefits

New tracks will accommodate the new 5000-series rail cars, which feature:

Modern, quieter, smoother, more customer features

Security cameras to enhance safety

Why close the Red Line South for this work?

One of the questions we've heard the most is "Why is it best to completely close the South Red Line for five, whole months?" We explored other options, including doing the work on weekends, only, but chose the temporary closure due to the following drawbacks:

Working on weekends, only, it would have taken four years to complete the project

Weekend ridership along the Dan Ryan Branch is significant: over 39,000 on Saturdays and more than 29,000 on Sundays

The five-month construction option will save $75 million over an option to perform work on weekends, only

Continued slow zones for 4 years and could result in:

Average additional commuting time per passenger at a minimum of 20,000 minutes (14 days)

Additional commuting time would increase each year

Greater potential for delays caused by track issues

Continued use of older rail cars for 4 years (noisier, less smooth ride)

More crowded trains for 4 years

So, no mention of cars on current "handout." New tracks will "accommodate" new rail cars. Working only on weekends will mean "continued use of older rail cars.

There is no mention of "car weight." This idea about car weight seems to be something created in the media or on the internet. Although the new tracks will "accommodate" new cars, it doesn't say or imply that the old, present tracks won't "accommodate" new cars. Actually they have already since the prototype cars tested for two sessions on the Red line. It says that if they work weekends only, the older cars will remain. Like the "evil witch" they're saying they won't assign new cars if the project is weekend only because it would be a waste of the new car's features to saddle them with running through years of slow zones. Meanies! There is a statement about new cars if they close for the five months. One could assume that if they close for five months, the Red line will get new cars.

I personally see nothing in statements that say new cars cannot be placed in service on the Red line in the condition it is now. In fact for new cars to be running, they need to be place in service before and during and after the rehab project and that is what is currently scheduled. The Red line should begin receiving 5000 series cars this year starting this year in November.

I wrote in another internet list about this same issue and described statements by Mr. Claypool who at the public meeting at Kennedy King College kept stressing over and over that the southside, "was getting a new railroad." He implied that the new cars would run on this "new railroad" and like the ole carrot and a stick, held up the new cars as a reward for letting the CTA close the line for five months. He implied, like the "mean ole witch" if you don't........ Think that is called "spin."

David Harrison

• Upvote 2

Looking for something else on the procurement page turned this interesting article up...

AC/DC Current Transducer for 3200 Series Cars, as required, for a period of up to 24 months from the date of contract execution. (Procurement Link)

I did a search to see what a transducer is, and got this as a answer...

In general, a transducer is a device for changing one form of energy into another.

Looks like the 3200-Series rehab from D/C to A/C is coming up very soon, starting in the next 12-18 months perhaps???

Looking for something else on the procurement page turned this interesting article up...

AC/DC Current Transducer for 3200 Series Cars, as required, for a period of up to 24 months from the date of contract execution. (Procurement Link)

I did a search to see what a transducer is, and got this as a answer...

In general, a transducer is a device for changing one form of energy into another.

Looks like the 3200-Series rehab from D/C to A/C is coming up very soon, starting in the next 12-18 months perhaps???

Just on the basis of it being a "requirements contract," that seems to be just for spare parts or supplies, as opposed to the bus overhaul contracts stating minimum and maximum amounts.

In fact, the best I can figure out after downloading it, is that the requisition is for a galvanic current measurement device. It also contains standard conditions for a supplies contract.

Has anybody knows if the Green Line added more new 5000s this week? Also, has the 2400s transfer to the Red Line this week from the Green Line?

Yesterday the Green line had #5033-34 and #5057-58 on it, which were on the Pink line last week. There were 4 new #5000 cars at Skokie shops late last week after the most recent delivery of #5130's, so they should be getting some more soon.

Yesterday the Green line had #5033-34 and #5057-58 on it, which were on the Pink line last week. There were 4 new #5000 cars at Skokie shops late last week after the most recent delivery of #5130's, so they should be getting some more soon.

Thanks BusHunter. The Green Line should have get closed to 120 5000s by the end of October, cause the Red line will be the next line to get them next month.

Thanks BusHunter. The Green Line should have get closed to 120 5000s by the end of October, cause the Red line will be the next line to get them next month.

Looks like the days of #2400's on the Green line are coming to a close soon. Yesterday there was only one #2400 consist in service during the evening rush. My latest roster has them at 86 #5000 cars, (they were only using 94 before) so that sounds accurate, that we'd see one or two #2400 trains in service. Looks like there a delivery away from completing the Green line. I'm expecting a mass exodus of #2400 cars from there soon. BTW, I spotted two more sets of new colorized LED cars, #5077-78 and #5085-86.

I saw it mentioned on ABC7 News that the 5000s were getting an upgrade after which the cars would make a tone to signal when the doors open make it easier for members the visually impaired to find the doors after they voiced those concerns that they found it difficult to know where the train doors were after the train stops at a station. None of the other series cars would get this upgrade according to the news story.

I saw it mentioned on ABC7 News that the 5000s were getting an upgrade after which the cars would make a tone to signal when the doors open make it easier for members the visually impaired to find the doors after they voiced those concerns that they found it difficult to know where the train doors were after the train stops at a station. None of the other series cars would get this upgrade according to the news story.

Ad I thought the 5000's already had that installed. Right before the doors close it has a door bell ring then it close.

Ad I thought the 5000's already had that installed. Right before the doors close it has a door bell ring then it close.

To clarify the tone on this upgrade is supposed to sound before the doors open. It has nothing to do with the existing tone that sounds on all cars regardless of series that you hear before the doors close.

...Looks like [they're] a delivery away from completing the Green line. I'm expecting a mass exodus of #2400 cars from there soon. BTW, I spotted two more sets of new colorized LED cars, #5077-78 and #5085-86.

Went by the Skokie Shops Yard last night on the Yellow line, and briefly(and poorly) saw what I remember as maybe 5 tracks wide of 5000 consists, at least 4 cars long. I would say 20 cars in some form of delivery/waiting, if not more.

Went by the Skokie Shops Yard last night on the Yellow line, and briefly(and poorly) saw what I remember as maybe 5 tracks wide of 5000 consists, at least 4 cars long. I would say 20 cars in some form of delivery/waiting, if not more.

I have heard the Bus and Rail Rodeo is scheduled for this weekend. It's held a Skokie Shops. These might be the trainsets to be used in the competition. Just a guess.

DH

Those cars were not there yesterday. I only saw one 2 car set on a shop track. The rodeo buses were still there though. #5039-40 and #5089-90 were in Howard yard though. I guess it's there turn to play musical #5000's. :P

Those cars were not there yesterday. I only saw one 2 car set on a shop track. The rodeo buses were still there though. #5039-40 and #5089-90 were in Howard yard though. I guess it's there turn to play musical #5000's. :P

At least since the new "boing" for "doors opening." :D

I'm surprised that such a big deal is being made of a reprogramming.