5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Those cars were not there yesterday. I only saw one 2 car set on a shop track. The rodeo buses were still there though. #5039-40 and #5089-90 were in Howard yard though. I guess it's there turn to play musical #5000's. :P

Speaking of that, have any 5000s ran on the Yellow or Purple Line since the prototype 5000 testing period from early 2010 to mid-2011 ended? I'm guessing the reason that any 5000s are at Howard Yard this early in the stage of 5000 series deliveries, is probably at the moment for storage purposes.

And does anyone know yet when the next line(beyond Pink and Green) will start to put 5000s into service? I'm guessing if what I heard is true from this board about lower ridership rail lines getting them first, that Yellow, Purple, and maybe Orange may have some 5000s in service soon? It's hard for me to think 5000s will be assigned to Orange right away(and that Yellow and Purple would be more likely to get them), since they have an all-3200 series fleet still in good shape. Off topic rant(though it relates to the older rail car reassignments as more 5000s enter service), but I'm disappointed that CTA is reassigning Red Line 2600s(especially due to my hatred, of the poor shape of the lowered numbered 2600s) to the Blue Line.

I wish CTA would reassign Brown Line 3200s over to the Blue Line(so that both rail lines going to airports would have similar rail cars), and have 5000s be delivered to the Brown Line. Probably won't happen, unfortunately....

No #5000's have ran in service on the Yellow line since the prototypes ran there. As far as why cars are at Howard is most likely the early training of mechanics, operators and whomever is to come in contact with the cars in general. The Red line is going to be the next line to get the #5000's. The same thing happened with the two previous lines. The question would be when do they go in service on the Red line? It doesn't look like the first part of November. They should get around 20-30 cars before that happens. It might be Dec or Jan. In time the #3200's from the Orange will be on the Blue line by process of elimination, but it probably won't be for at least 2 years. As far as why does the blue line get the oldest equipment? I think it's because CTA likes to put it's best equipment on the lines with the most handicap accessibility. The better buses tend to go to newer garages. The oldest garages like 77th or FG get the older equipment. Archer can be included also even though it's now closed.

No #5000's have ran in service on the Yellow line since the prototypes ran there. As far as why cars are at Howard is most likely the early training of mechanics, operators and whomever is to come in contact with the cars in general. The Red line is going to be the next line to get the #5000's. The same thing happened with the two previous lines. The question would be when do they go in service on the Red line? It doesn't look like the first part of November. They should get around 20-30 cars before that happens. It might be Dec or Jan. In time the #3200's from the Orange will be on the Blue line by process of elimination, but it probably won't be for at least 2 years. As far as why does the blue line get the oldest equipment? I think it's because CTA likes to put it's best equipment on the lines with the most handicap accessibility. The better buses tend to go to newer garages. The oldest garages like 77th or FG get the older equipment. Archer can be included also even though it's now closed.

You know that the last statement is false, because 77 and A traditionally got new buses first. Which garage got the 1000s first? Which garage got the 6400s first?

As far as the Blue Line not getting new equipment, someone at CTA changed their minds sometime between 2002 and 2010, just as they did with regard to the seats. Old Frank had announced that the Blue Line was going to get the new cars first.

You know that the last statement is false, because 77 and A traditionally got new buses first. Which garage got the 1000s first? Which garage got the 6400s first?

As far as the Blue Line not getting new equipment, someone at CTA changed their minds sometime between 2002 and 2010, just as they did with regard to the seats. Old Frank had announced that the Blue Line was going to get the new cars first.

yes, but I'm talking in terms of today, not 6 or 11 years ago. Seemed like everything changed, when they started consolidation under the Rod. admin. Of course we could argue that 74th has old buses and they are a fairly new facility. Or North Park is old yet has new buses. But if those garages went with the flow, we'd have North siders crying fowl with all old buses and the South side with all new. I guess we'll have to see what happens when they get new buses. But I have the feeling 103rd will get new artics and 77th will get hand me downs.

yes, but I'm talking in terms of today, not 6 or 11 years ago. Seemed like everything changed, when they started consolidation under the Rod. admin. Of course we could argue that 74th has old buses and they are a fairly new facility. Or North Park is old yet has new buses. But if those garages went with the flow, we'd have North siders crying fowl with all old buses and the South side with all new. I guess we'll have to see what happens when they get new buses. But I have the feeling 103rd will get new artics and 77th will get hand me downs.

I agree with you BusHunter and I've said it myself about the new artics coming to 103rd 1st, and Its also an article on this site that talks about the neighborhoods getting ready for the Jeffery Jump coming this fall. If you notice the pics they show they show a striking resemblance to the new model New Flyers artics that cta will he getting soon. Now I'm not going to say that's all my proof I need to back up my statement but they are wrapped up in the new Jeffery Jump logos that's all I'm saying and like I said before "what better way to kick off Jeffery Jump than with new buses to start.

From what people in upstate NY told me, they weren't that affected that much. There might have been the issue of the ban on certain trailers on the toll roads, though.

Doubles and triples were banned as well as any oversize loads, in which this should qualify. With the storm in PA for a long period, I was wondering if maybe they would just detour through Canada, but I don't know if they would need special papers if they left the country with cargo.

Doubles and triples were banned as well as any oversize loads, in which this should qualify. With the storm in PA for a long period, I was wondering if maybe they would just detour through Canada, but I don't know if they would need special papers if they left the country with cargo.

The last one, I don't know.

Basically, though, the most direct route would be I-87 to I-90, which doesn't go anywhere close to New York City, but would be in a high wind warning zone.

Today, I spotted #5019-20, #5077-78, #5121-22, and #5133-34 are on the Pink Line. Also, #5063-64 are on the Green Line as well.:)

Newly colorized LED's cars now include #5035-36, #5041-42, #5047-48, #5055-56, #5061-62. There should only be 36 cars left, not counting the prototypes.

Look for 5000s to start going into service on the Red Line on Sunday, 11/11.

#5017-18 and #5059-60 are new to the colorized signs list. (32 left) I wonder where they have been keeping the training cars for the Red line? (The 12 cars at Skokie, I spotted before?) I wonder what this says about the 20 #2400 cars left for the Green line. Will they just be left there and used as spares/decrowding trains?

#5017-18 and #5059-60 are new to the colorized signs list. (32 left) I wonder where they have been keeping the training cars for the Red line? (The 12 cars at Skokie, I spotted before?) I wonder what this says about the 20 #2400 cars left for the Green line. Will they just be left there and used as spares/decrowding trains?

I wonder what happened to units 5003-5012. Why haven't they been returned to Chicago? I'm sure by now the brake and wheel issue is corrected by Bombardier.