5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I just mirrored BusHunter's topic titles for the 2000's and 2200's. That's why it also mentions retirement dates. It doesn't mean anything is retired. Nobody is saying the 5000's are going to be retired now.

Well, I mean, they'll be retired eventually, right? And the way the CTA is currently funded, they'll probably be stretched way out into the year 2060 or something.

Well, I mean, they'll be retired eventually, right? And the way the CTA is currently funded, they'll probably be stretched way out into the year 2060 or something.

In the year 3000. In the year 3000.

Thank you, Conan and LaBamba.:lol:

I just mirrored BusHunter's topic titles for the 2000's and 2200's. That's why it also mentions retirement dates. It doesn't mean anything is retired. Nobody is saying the 5000's are going to be retired now.

There already retired if your thinking in terms of the #5000 series articulated cars of 1948. Speaking of which I was looking at a picture of the interior of the those cars and discovered what looks like door controls at the exit door. Was this the conductor's position in the middle of a doorway?

There already retired if your thinking in terms of the #5000 series articulated cars of 1948.

That sentence is true. But the order of four articulated cars actually originated with one of the predecessors of the CTA, the Chicago Rapid Transit Company (CRT). The original numbering reflected that: Two of those (5001 and 5002) were built by Pullman-Standard (the same company which built the 2000-series cars in 1964); the other two (5003 and 5004) were built by the St. Louis Car Company (the same company which built and rebuilt the 6000-series cars and their single-unit 1-50 series siblings throughout the 1950s). The CTA took over before the cars were delivered. The CTA renumbered those cars #51-54 in 1964 when the Skokie Swift (Yellow Line) opened.

There already retired if your thinking in terms of the #5000 series articulated cars of 1948. Speaking of which I was looking at a picture of the interior of the those cars and discovered what looks like door controls at the exit door. Was this the conductor's position in the middle of a doorway?

The CERA book said that in Raveswood service, they were trained at the end, because the conductor couldn't see outside with the doors closing, and hence a 6000 had to be in the middle. So, it probably was.

Of course, with the 52 on the inside, it would have been in Skokie service, which means that it was a one-man operation.

The CERA book said that in Raveswood service, they were trained at the end, because the conductor couldn't see outside with the doors closing, and hence a 6000 had to be in the middle. So, it probably was.

Of course, with the 52 on the inside, it would have been in Skokie service, which means that it was a one-man operation.

In Ravenswood service, the 5000s were usually at one end or the other of a consist that's the equivalent of six cars long. And since a 6000-series unit had to be in the middle of a revenue consist containing 5000s, sometimes a given train ran with 5000s at each end with a single 6000-series pair in the middle. This occurs only during weekday rush hours; midday and Saturday trips to the Loop (at the time, there was no Sunday service south of Fullerton, and later Belmont) were often only two cars long and thus a 5000 could not be used on such short consists (instead, the line during off-peak periods was usually operated with the 1913-14 "Baldie" 4000-series cars plus the occasional 6000-series pair). And on the rare occasion that four-car trains ran on the Rave, one 5000-series unit (if it was used) ran together with one 6000-series pair. Sunday shuttle service consisted almost entirely of single 6000-series pairs.

• Upvote 1

With the #6000's, the very first orders of those had the conductors position outside the train between the cars. I believe cars #6001- #6084 on the Logan square branch. how did the conductor see all his train doors from inside the train? (I know by looking through the window) but what happens on a four car train? (he can't see past the motor cab) or was the Logan Square strictly two cars back then. another question Back during the wood car era if I'm understanding this right there was a conducter at each door of the train called gatemen who would help you exit/enter the train. was there a conductor at each doorway on the #4000's initially as well? I think I remember reading something about automatic door control that was installed on these around 1964. So would that mean before that it was manual?

With the #6000's, the very first orders of those had the conductors position outside the train between the cars. I believe cars #6001- #6084 on the Logan square branch. how did the conductor see all his train doors from inside the train? (I know by looking through the window) but what happens on a four car train? (he can't see past the motor cab) or was the Logan Square strictly two cars back then. another question Back during the wood car era if I'm understanding this right there was a conducter at each door of the train called gatemen who would help you exit/enter the train. was there a conductor at each doorway on the #4000's initially as well? I think I remember reading something about automatic door control that was installed on these around 1964. So would that mean before that it was manual?

Actually, when the 6000s were first delivered in 1950, the cars that were delivered to the Logan Square line were #6001-#6128; #6129-30 was an experimental "high-performance" unit that seldom ran in revenue service during the early years. (#6127-28 was later converted to an experimental unit, which ran in conjunction with #6129-30 and later the first four cars in the #1-#50 series.) The next order consisting of #6131-#6200 was delivered in 1951; many of the cars in that series were first assigned to the Ravenswood.

As for the 4000s, originally there were conductors at each door of the train. The automatic door controls in those cars were actually installed between 1952 and 1955. The 6000s had automatic door control from the very beginning.

• Upvote 1

Well all anyone needs to do is look at cta's 7500 NABI bus fleet. Who would've thought they would've been retired BEFORE the 4400s, 5300s, AND 6000s? While it looks very premature, you never never know.

After all the testing before the production order of 5000s, if CTA accepts NABI type of junk at $1.4 million a car, a firing squad should be convened. Some guy on the CTA Tattler said that Kruesi was merely controversial for making such blunders as conditionally accepting the NABIs, but I have another word for it.

Today I spotted the 5000 series test train leaving Harlem on the Green Line. The digital sign display was Ashland at the top and 63rd on the bottom. On one side you could see the longitudinal seating, but the other side had like a wooden work station.

Again the destination was, or at least the signage said Ashland/63. But the previous live train that left also was an Ashland/63 train. So if the 59th Junction is automated to automatically switch between Ashland branch and Cottage branch, what would they do to ensure that this train was routed correctly and not cause a derailment with the new equipment?

Today I spotted the 5000 series test train leaving Harlem on the Green Line. The digital sign display was Ashland at the top and 63rd on the bottom. On one side you could see the longitudinal seating, but the other side had like a wooden work station.

Again the destination was, or at least the signage said Ashland/63. But the previous live train that left also was an Ashland/63 train. So if the 59th Junction is automated to automatically switch between Ashland branch and Cottage branch, what would they do to ensure that this train was routed correctly and not cause a derailment with the new equipment?

Are you thinking that the station controls where the train will go? Maybe it's the opposite and the train is programmed to make the switch, or even the combination of the two. But if the destination sign says one thing from the start, then that train has to have some control over the station.

Are you thinking that the station controls where the train will go? Maybe it's the opposite and the train is programmed to make the switch, or even the combination of the two. But if the destination sign says one thing from the start, then that train has to have some control over the station.

Krambles said that with regard to the original setup, there was a tower at the 61st yard to deal with irregular moves. Of course, since then the track was all stripped and the shop burned down.

Probably more relevant is finding out who was in control when the shuttle got stuck in the switch a couple of weeks ago, leading to 4 people getting fired. Among one of them was the "control tower worker" according to Channel 2, which I think answers the question.

Krambles said that with regard to the original setup, there was a tower at the 61st yard to deal with irregular moves. Of course, since then the track was all stripped and the shop burned down.

Probably more relevant is finding out who was in control when the shuttle got stuck in the switch a couple of weeks ago, leading to 4 people getting fired. Among one of them was the "control tower worker" according to Channel 2, which I think answers the question.

Generally speaking, I thought this junction was unmanned and the switches "automatically" took place after a train passed through. Because of the irregularity of that weekend which the derailment occured meant there had to be someone in that control tower at 59th junction.

I just realized that the top of the thread only notes 206 cars. I thought we were getting 406 cars. Is the 206 the base order and we are also getting option 1 for 200 more? Do all of the options add up to 700 if filled?

Yep, except 706 instead of 700.

Of course, assuming that this thread is supposed to make sense, why the gray 5407-5408?

Generally speaking, I thought this junction was unmanned and the switches "automatically" took place after a train passed through. Because of the irregularity of that weekend which the derailment occured meant there had to be someone in that control tower at 59th junction.

Even if that would be the case

• He also says that there is a button on the wayside signal to reset the switch if it isn't set properly.
  • Pulling a test train through there would be an unusual move. With people posting on Subchat that they used 2600s to pull the 5000s (apparently unpowered) though the Howard interlocking because they were afraid that the untested cars might get stuck in it, the testers are not taking chances.

Even if that would be the case

• He also says that there is a button on the wayside signal to reset the switch if it isn't set properly.
  • Pulling a test train through there would be an unusual move. With people posting on Subchat that they used 2600s to pull the 5000s (apparently unpowered) though the Howard interlocking because they were afraid that the untested cars might get stuck in it, the testers are not taking chances.

Sounds like these may be tested longer than any other equipment. I remember the first 4 #3200's testing with riders not long after it arrived.