Jump to content
greenstreet

5000-series - Updates

Recommended Posts

Just saw 5150 and it was paired with 5149. Maybe they changed the pair since you rode it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ajm522 said:

Just saw 5150 and it was paired with 5149. Maybe they changed the pair since you rode it. 

They cannot do that lol odd numbered cars are 1st, and then the even ones 2nd.   That's how it has always been.  Every pair is together until "death separates them". Just like the story of #3458 (ex 3032). 

5149-50 have always been paired!   It's just a matter of being more observative of the equipment.

Idek why you're dragging this on @Mr.NewFlyer1051 if I already explained why it's the way it is the 1st time.  It's simple elementary school stuff

Odd numbers: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9

Even numbers: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10

More examples: 3333-34, 5713-14, 3199-3200, 2775-76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and to make it more clear, the way pairs are mated when they are manufactured are how they stay.  Ex. 5000s prototype 5001-02. "1" is 1st, "2" is 2nd.  

 

The only time mates are separated or changed are when a car becomes unrepairable from an accident/derailment.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

They cannot do that lol odd numbered cars are 1st, and then the even ones 2nd.   That's how it has always been.  Every pair is together until "death separates them". Just like the story of #3458 (ex 3032). 

5149-50 have always been paired!   It's just a matter of being more observative of the equipment.

Idek why you're dragging this on @Mr.NewFlyer1051 if I already explained why it's the way it is the 1st time.  It's simple elementary school stuff

Odd numbers: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9

Even numbers: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10

More examples: 3333-34, 5713-14, 3199-3200, 2775-76

I caught 5150 to and I can confirm that ajm522 is correct it is paired with 5149 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Oh and to make it more clear, the way pairs are mated when they are manufactured are how they stay.  Ex. 5000s prototype 5001-02. "1" is 1st, "2" is 2nd.  

 

The only time mates are separated or changed are when a car becomes unrepairable from an accident/derailment.

End Of Argument of car numbers!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ajm522 said:

Just saw 5150 and it was paired with 5149. Maybe they changed the pair since you rode it. 

 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

They did!!! Thanks for helping me prove a point 

Mated pairs don't get switched on a daily basis. In fact, they only are ever separated when one car is damaged and either goes for repair or scrap. If scrap, the leftover car can be mated with another car, but only if it's the opposite to the original. Example: 2635 (odd-numbered "A" car) is semi-permantly mated with 2636 (even-numbered "B" car). 2827 (odd-numbered "A" car) is semi-permantly mated with 2828 (even-numbered "B" car). 2636 is leading a train and strikes 2827, damaging both cars. The spares, 2635 and 2828, A and B cars, respectively, can be mated.

 

Potentially, 5148 and 5149 could be mated, but that would mean 5147 and 5150 were taken out of service, and that's been proven wrong already.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My theory is that the orientation is off? The odd number train car might not always be first in the direction of travel, leading to the confusion?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

My theory is that the orientation is off? The odd number train car might not always be first in the direction of travel, leading to the confusion?

 

 

That's a good point.  That's why I wanted to generally clarify the concept of the car numbers. 

But unfortunately a certain individual gets upset when they get put in their place 🤷‍♂️.  This is a forum and we always learn from each other.  It's not a place to be full of pride in always being right.

 

4 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

End Of Argument of car numbers!!!!! 

Stop yelling lol at least you learned something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

That's a good point.  That's why I wanted to generally clarify the concept of the car numbers. 

But unfortunately a certain individual gets upset when they get put in their place 🤷‍♂️.  This is a forum and we always learn from each other.  It's not a place to be full of pride in always being right.

 

Stop yelling lol at least you learned something

“But unfortunately a certain individual gets upset when they get put in their place 🤷‍♂️.  This is a forum and we always learn from each other.  It's not a place to be full of pride in always being right.” 

 

😂😂^Yea ooookkkkk I’m upset? Yea your definitely correct 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll give an example I saw recently to clear things up. Hope this helps. First are the two claims.

1. In a married pair train set on the L, the even numbered car is the higher numbered car.

✅ Yes, that is true. Like 3457-3458 and 3201-3202 for example.

2. In service, even numbered cars always face one direction and odd numbered cars face another direction. 

❌ This is false. While driving on the Kennedy I saw an eight car set of 2600s heading towards Forest Park. Some of the leading cars in the set were even numbered cars and some of the cars were odd numbered cars. This probably happened as a result of cars moving around the system over the years, and what the train did when it reached the end of the line. For example, at O’Hare, to change directions, the train operator must leave the cab at the front of the train and go to the cab at the rear of the train, turning that cab the new front of the train, where at Forest Park, he or she also has the option of looping around the yard and returning to the station without changing cabs.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I’ll give an example I saw recently to clear things up. Hope this helps. First are the two claims.

1. In a married pair train set on the L, the even numbered car is the higher numbered car.

✅ Yes, that is true. Like 3457-3458 and 3201-3202 for example.

2. In service, even numbered cars always face one direction and odd numbered cars face another direction. 

❌ This is false. While driving on the Kennedy I saw an eight car set of 2600s heading towards Forest Park. Some of the leading cars in the set were even numbered cars and some of the cars were odd numbered cars. This probably happened as a result of cars moving around the system over the years, and what the train did when it reached the end of the line. For example, at O’Hare, to change directions, the train operator must leave the cab at the front of the train and go to the cab at the rear of the train, turning that cab the new front of the train, where at Forest Park, he or she also has the option of looping around the yard and returning to the station without changing cabs.

 

And at Howard, operators on the Red Line use the loop track over the tracks that lead to Skokie on the Yellow Line and below the tracks that lead to Linden on the Purple Line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cta5658 said:

And at Howard, operators on the Red Line use the loop track over the tracks that lead to Skokie on the Yellow Line and below the tracks that lead to Linden on the Purple Line.

Also correct, and a valid point as Red Line trains cannot do so at 95th/Dan Ryan or 98th Yard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 10:06 AM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

For example, at O’Hare, to change directions, the train operator must leave the cab at the front of the train and go to the cab at the rear of the train, turning that cab the new front of the train, where at Forest Park, he or she also has the option (emphasis added) of looping around the yard and returning  to the station without changing cabs.

I’m not sure if you were trying to imply this, but do they really “have the option” in the sense that the turnaround method is decided by the operator’s preference, rather than operational efficiency?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I’m not sure if you were trying to imply this, but do they really “have the option” in the sense that the turnaround method is decided by the operator’s preference, rather than operational efficiency?

I mostly said it that way to quickly get the post up, but you do bring up a good point.

Although both ways of turning the trains around are physically there, I don’t think it is up to the operator to decide which way they are going to turn around back towards O’Hare. I remember riding the Blue Line back in the late 90s and the Forest Park Loop being used extensively, and now I have seen trains holding at the platforms while new operators head into the cabs towards O’Hare.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How red trains are turned at Howard depends on how the line is running. Normally loop around, but if there are delays a train will be simply crossed over and pull into the SB platform and change ends.

Historically, on the old Green line (Lake-Dan Ryan) all trains faced the same way because of the one-carlenght boarding area at California WB that had to be where the conductor's car stopped, so the train stop markers had to be in specific places. About once a year the whole fleet was reversed, and the stop markers moved to new locations.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Damn now they're taking away 54th Av's cars :/  

Remember Green And Pink exchange cars and Red line used the Englewood branch so some how 5049-5050 landed on the red line tracks from the Green Line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 10:27 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Well.....Hello there 5001-5002

AE9ABC1D-26C8-4A11-AF31-870BBC99E922.jpeg

Those cars are on the pink right because I mistaken 5001-5002 as the first cars Delived to CTA come to find out it was 5003-5004. Also I have a image of 5001. I didnt knew this was 5001 until i looked at it a year after taking the photo.

IMG_20171001_192316.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Remember Green And Pink exchange cars and Red line used the Englewood branch so some how 5049-5050 landed on the red line tracks from the Green Line

Yeah true that Pink & Green borrow cars.  Originally 5001-5050 are assigned to 54th Yard.  Now that 5049-50 is on the Red Line though, I feel like soon if exchanges continue Pink will be getting Blue interior cars.

This definitely is happening to even out mileage on these cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Yeah true that Pink & Green borrow cars.  Originally 5001-5050 are assigned to 54th Yard.  Now that 5049-50 is on the Red Line though, I feel like soon if exchanges continue Pink will be getting Blue interior cars.

This definitely is happening to even out mileage on these cars.

That might be true with pink getting Blue interiors but it might not be cuz pink and green are still exchanging cars 5001-5002 are on Green Still and 5005-5006 and Green and red  are doing they own thing with switching cars cuz some 5600’s are on the Green

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...