Jump to content
greenstreet

5000-series - Updates

Recommended Posts

It does seem like CTA has said Blue will get 7000s, so why not assign all 5000s to Red/Purple/Yellow/Brown/Orange and assign the 7000s to Blue/Pink/Green? I know the Red will need expansion cars, so Pink/Green can swap their 5000s for 7000s for Red can have a consistent fleet.

Interestingly some of the drawings of the 7000s show Pink Line headsigns. That might hint the Pink might get 7000s (which might mean Green as well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pink line is very busy at rush to about Western Ave. The schedule is limited because of the loop, but six car trains would really ease the crowding. In the afternoon, the loop causes bunching so some trains are overcrowded and others are undervrowded at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that this plan assumes that all 7000 series options are selected, totalling 846 cars and that the fleet of each line will be replaced car for car by the 7000 series.

 

I think it would be best for the Blue, Orange, Brown and Pink lines to receive 7000 series in that order. It would be logical for them to replace all of the existing fleet, then add new or freed up cars to the Red, Orange and Yellow lines. The first cars should replace the 2600 series cars on the blue line. These 2600s should then be reassigned to the Brown or Orange lines if they are newer than the 2600s operating there. If not, then they should be decommissioned (scrapped, sold to museums, added to the heritage fleet, etc). Once all of the 2600 series are off of the Blue line, then they should replace the 3200 series. All of the 3200 series should move to the Orange line, which could free up the oldest of the 2600s operating there. The next set of cars should replace the 5000 series assigned to the Blue line (unless the 5000 series were there as a buffer in case of reliability issues with the 2600 series). Regardless of the replacement for the 5000 series, all of the Blue line's 5000 series cars should be reassigned to the Red Line.

Once the Blue Line is done receiving cars, the Orange Line should then start receive them. The first Orange Line 7000 series cars should replace the 2600 series operating there. Like for the Blue line, the cars that are younger than those on the Brown Line should replace the older 2600s on the Brown Line. Any cars older than those on the Brown Line should be decommissioned. The 7000s should then begin to replace the 3200 series. The first few 3200 series cars should replace the last of the 2600 series on the Brown Line. A few more should constitute spare parts cars for the rest of the fleet (if required), and the remainder should be decommissioned. If CTA placed extra cars on the Orange Line to ensure a reliable service with the older 2600s, then all cars should not be replaced, with only the estimated amount of cars to provided the required service plus spares replaced. Any cars not replaced should be decommissioned anyway despite them not being replaced with anything, as newer cars would be expected to be more reliable. Once the 7000s replace all of the cars on the Orange Line, then they should start making their way to the Brown Line, with all of the 3200s being decommissioned. After the 7000s are on the Brown, Orange and Blue Lines, they should make their way to the Pink Line.

The 7000s on the Pink line should free up sufficient 5000 series cars to transfer over to the Red and Yellow lines for their planned extensions. 

The Pink Line should receive 7000s as they have a good number of cars assigned (all lines except Yellow and Pink have too many replace entire fleet and Yellow shares Howard yard with the Red Line and CTA should most likely prefer having the same type of car at Howard) and their cars are among the first of the 5000s delivered in 2009, 2011 and 2012.

All leftover 7000 series cars should be assigned to the Orange line for the planned extension to Ford City. (about 20-30 cars)

 

On 11/21/2019 at 7:49 PM, Pink Jazz said:

so why not assign all 5000s to Red/Purple/Yellow/Brown/Orange and assign the 7000s to Blue/Pink/Green?

I don't think there are enough cars to have a 100% 5000 series fleet for the Red, Purple, Yellow, Brown and Orange Lines. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the "Roosevelt" Green line train the other day. For the 5000's, how many settings are there for the electronic rollsigns? Is there one for every station or only for certain ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mt1000 said:

Saw the "Roosevelt" Green line train the other day. For the 5000's, how many settings are there for the electronic rollsigns? Is there one for every station or only for certain ones?

I already posted a picture 2 weeks ago Friday and someone has answered your question 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, artthouwill said:

Sign came into existence during the Red Line Dan Ryan rebuild.  When Red Line trains were rerouted to Ashland/63,  all nonpeak Green Line trains went to Cottage Grove.   During a.m rush, Green Line trains that would've normally gone to Ashland/63 were short turned at Roosevelt, thus the sign you posted.   P.M. rush trains that normally would've gone to Ashland/63 circled the outer loop tracks after leaving Clinton.

The signs now work perfectly for a line cut at Roosevelt. 

The Red Line trains retained their Ashland/63 signs which came in handy during 98th Yard work and the 95th Station rebuild when certain rush hour trips were rerouted to Ashland/63. 

Though Blue Line service hasn't been to Cermak/54 in years, the Blue Line signs remain today.

The Orange Line roller curtains used to have Ford City when there was discussion about extending the line from Midway to Ford City.   I haven't seen any electronic Ford City signs, nor do I know if they exist. 

@artthouwill that’s what he said

 

8 hours ago, mt1000 said:

Saw the "Roosevelt" Green line train the other day. For the 5000's, how many settings are there for the electronic rollsigns? Is there one for every station or only for certain ones?

your answer to that is ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 4:19 PM, monsieurmétro said:

Note that this plan assumes that all 7000 series options are selected, totalling 846 cars and that the fleet of each line will be replaced car for car by the 7000 series.

 

I think it would be best for the Blue, Orange, Brown and Pink lines to receive 7000 series in that order. It would be logical for them to replace all of the existing fleet, then add new or freed up cars to the Red, Orange and Yellow lines. The first cars should replace the 2600 series cars on the blue line. These 2600s should then be reassigned to the Brown or Orange lines if they are newer than the 2600s operating there. If not, then they should be decommissioned (scrapped, sold to museums, added to the heritage fleet, etc). Once all of the 2600 series are off of the Blue line, then they should replace the 3200 series. All of the 3200 series should move to the Orange line, which could free up the oldest of the 2600s operating there. The next set of cars should replace the 5000 series assigned to the Blue line (unless the 5000 series were there as a buffer in case of reliability issues with the 2600 series). Regardless of the replacement for the 5000 series, all of the Blue line's 5000 series cars should be reassigned to the Red Line.

Once the Blue Line is done receiving cars, the Orange Line should then start receive them. The first Orange Line 7000 series cars should replace the 2600 series operating there. Like for the Blue line, the cars that are younger than those on the Brown Line should replace the older 2600s on the Brown Line. Any cars older than those on the Brown Line should be decommissioned. The 7000s should then begin to replace the 3200 series. The first few 3200 series cars should replace the last of the 2600 series on the Brown Line. A few more should constitute spare parts cars for the rest of the fleet (if required), and the remainder should be decommissioned. If CTA placed extra cars on the Orange Line to ensure a reliable service with the older 2600s, then all cars should not be replaced, with only the estimated amount of cars to provided the required service plus spares replaced. Any cars not replaced should be decommissioned anyway despite them not being replaced with anything, as newer cars would be expected to be more reliable. Once the 7000s replace all of the cars on the Orange Line, then they should start making their way to the Brown Line, with all of the 3200s being decommissioned. After the 7000s are on the Brown, Orange and Blue Lines, they should make their way to the Pink Line.

The 7000s on the Pink line should free up sufficient 5000 series cars to transfer over to the Red and Yellow lines for their planned extensions. 

The Pink Line should receive 7000s as they have a good number of cars assigned (all lines except Yellow and Pink have too many replace entire fleet and Yellow shares Howard yard with the Red Line and CTA should most likely prefer having the same type of car at Howard) and their cars are among the first of the 5000s delivered in 2009, 2011 and 2012.

All leftover 7000 series cars should be assigned to the Orange line for the planned extension to Ford City. (about 20-30 cars)

 

I don't think there are enough cars to have a 100% 5000 series fleet for the Red, Purple, Yellow, Brown and Orange Lines. 

I see your logic, but remember that Pink and Green often share cars and perhaps CTA may want both lines to use the same series of cars for commonality. CTA could instead split up Orange and Brown, assigning one series to Orange and the other to Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pink Jazz said:

I see your logic, but remember that Pink and Green often share cars and perhaps CTA may want both lines to use the same series of cars for commonality. CTA could instead split up Orange and Brown, assigning one series to Orange and the other to Brown.

Pink and Blue can go back to sharing cars with the 7000s.  The Pink Line is STILL operationally part of the Blue Line.  Brown and Orange can share cars just like they did with 3200s.  Red and Green can share their 5000s.  Let's not forget that's how it was before 5000s came in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

I already posted a picture 2 weeks ago Friday and someone has answered your question 

The Roosevelt green line one has answer, but not his actual question:

 

15 hours ago, mt1000 said:

Saw the "Roosevelt" Green line train the other day. For the 5000's, how many settings are there for the electronic rollsigns? Is there one for every station or only for certain ones?

Which I'm also curious to know the answer for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Operators do not have the ability to enter any station as the destination (although some have suggested that they should).

Known LED destination signs

I think they should, especially now that the signs are digital. Also, is there, or did there use to be a generic "EXPRESS" rollsign? I feel like I've seen that sometimes when riding the red line, but I'm not sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewFlyerMCI said:

Also, is there, or did there use to be a generic "EXPRESS" rollsign? I feel like I've seen that sometimes when riding the red line, but I'm not sure

Yes. It is one selection past Not In Service for cars with physical rollsigns, but I’m not sure how you display it on the 5000s, as what destination they display depends on what run number the operator enters. Before the CTA had digital destination signs on its rail cars, if cars were loaned from one line to another for service coverage, but lacked the proper destinations on the rollsigns installed in them, then the Express sign was used, and a temporary sign was put on the train as well, as in the case of these 3200 Series loaned to the Green Line.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I’m not sure how you display it on the 5000s, as what destination they display depends on what run number the operator enters. 

Since I've been in a 5000 cab before, there is a knob in the cab that lets you override the destination sign by displaying "Not In Service" or "Express"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Since I've been in a 5000 cab before, there is a knob in the cab that lets you override the destination sign by displaying "Not In Service" or "Express"

Thanks! That makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 8:55 PM, ChicagoNova said:

Yes, & I would love to see more 3200s on the Blue Line!

Ive always been fond of the 3200s  I wish the Blue was entirely that series!  I always loved the corrugated body style cross between a 2600 and 2200 series. The corrugated sides give it a retro look!  Now with the rehabs they look up to date and very much resemble the 5000s without the NYC style seating. Im satisfied with the results!  Im glad CTA is finally giving the line its overdue attention!  

image.png

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

Ive always been fond of the 3200s  I wish the Blue was entirely that series!  I always loved the corrugated body style cross between a 2600 and 2200 series. The corrugated sides give it a retro look!  Now with the rehabs they look up to date and very much resemble the 5000s without the NYC style seating. Im satisfied with the results!  Im glad CTA is finally giving the line its overdue attention!  

image.png

The corrugated sides make the cars look more robust (think R32s in NYC that soldier on despite decades of service and continued delays for replacements). They also deter against vandalism, which is a plus.


I’ve heard the 3200s were well received on the Orange Line because the seating layout was better for travelers with luggage. Personally I just think the single seats are wonderful in general!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

The corrugated sides make the cars look more robust (think R32s in NYC that soldier on despite decades of service and continued delays for replacements). They also deter against vandalism, which is a plus.


I’ve heard the 3200s were well received on the Orange Line because the seating layout was better for travelers with luggage. Personally I just think the single seats are wonderful in general!

The 3200s are certainly getting their workout on the Blue  Ridership climbing,Trains packed during rush, to the doors.The seating and roominess inside the cars make it a perfect fit for the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...