1000-series D40LF - Updates

BusHunter

#1058 is rehabbed on the #76, #1331 on the #54 might be. It has the newer transitchicago logo, but #1232 had all the indications of a rehab, including that, but it didn't have the new lighting so I took it off the list.

I wouldn't be too hasty about doubting 1232's rehab status given Busjack was able to discover that the lighting part of the rehabs are a separate job from the more extensive rehab work involving the buses' innards.

Historically, the vast majority of buses received the website decals when delivered new (beginning with the 1430s); likewise with the rehabs. But every once in a while a single bus or a small group have begun service without the decals. A number of 1930s (through 1970s) still have clean rooflines as do a handful of 4000s.

At least one rehab, 1094, was released with the decal only on the right side. So the logos may be a reasonably good sign of a rehabbed bus, but they're not a 100% foolproof one. (The supply of decals may run out from time to time. But a bus seems to be operable without them). ;)

Frankly, I think they look much better without those logos, especially when they get partially covered by a large left-side partial wrap or an occasional roofline strip ad. It looks kind of tacky and unprofessional.

Just my $0.02.

Historically, the vast majority of buses received the website decals when delivered new (beginning with the 1430s); likewise with the rehabs. But every once in a while a single bus or a small group have begun service without the decals. A number of 1930s (through 1970s) still have clean rooflines as do a handful of 4000s.

At least one rehab, 1094, was released with the decal only on the right side. So the logos may be a reasonably good sign of a rehabbed bus, but they're not a 100% foolproof one. (The supply of decals may run out from time to time. But a bus seems to be operable without them). ;)

Frankly, I think they look much better without those logos, especially when they get partially covered by a large left-side partial wrap or an occasional roofline strip ad. It looks kind of tacky and unprofessional.

Just my $0.02.

I got a real good look at #1018 on the #29 yesterday. It is rehabbed except for the LED lights. It has all the stickers, clever devices upgrade but is missing the transitchicago sticker on the roofline.as well as the seat inserts In fact I think there's nothing on the roofline.

Just my $0.02.

And whenever I mentioned the decals I tried making it a point to stress that the decals only signified a possibility of a bus being rehabbed and that the it served a signal for me to pay closer attention to that particular bus for other clues each time I spot the bus especially if I didn't get a chance to ride the bus in question after first spotting the 'transtichicago.com' decal on it and it didn't fall within the 1930-2029 range. I never use the decal alone to determine a rehabbed. I wait until I actually see the interior as well before coming to a conclusion.

And I agree with you, Jajuan. The "transitchicago.com" decal (without the "www") on any unit numbered below 1930 is a reliable marker to alert someone to check for other evidence of a rehab. I only intended to suggest that in rare instances a rehabbed bus might not receive one or both decals. (As apparently happened with 1018 according to BusHunter).

Saw #1961 with rehabbed lighting. Is that bus rehabbed? I thought Garmon said no.

A lot of the blue LED New Flyers(1630-2029) are tiring out after several years of service and the fact that the blue LED's are not being ordered to replace burned out units. I was on 177X on #50 a few days back, and the bus is a mix-match of LED's. Blue LED's still prevalent throughout, but scattered within are lines of white LED's, replacing blue ones that no longer work. Tacky touchup job, but I know the rule... if it's not broke, don't fix it.

And I agree with you, Jajuan. The "transitchicago.com" decal (without the "www") on any unit numbered below 1930 is a reliable marker to alert someone to check for other evidence of a rehab. I only intended to suggest that in rare instances a rehabbed bus might not receive one or both decals. (As apparently happened with 1018 according to BusHunter).

You're right on your point too. And to that point 1570 is rehabbed but still has its original 'www.transitchicago.com' decals, and 1141 is rehabbed but has neither website decal. Both are in service on the #9 today. What made me pay closer attention to 1141 was the sound of the motor as that bus pulled up. And that brings me to a point that I didn't realize until this afternoon that hasn't been brought up or realized by others on the forum. Next time anyone happens to board a rehabbed bus that's in the 1000-1429 range, listen closely to the bus's motor. From what I could hear in 1141, it sounds like they are in fact replacing the Cummins ISM's in 1000-1429 with ISM motors like those in 1430-1629.

You're right on your point too. And to that point 1570 is rehabbed but still has its original 'www.transitchicago.com' decals, and 1141 is rehabbed but has neither website decal. Both are in service on the #9 today. What made me pay closer attention to 1141 was the sound of the motor as that bus pulled up. And that brings me to a point that I didn't realize until this afternoon that hasn't been brought up or realized by others on the forum. Next time anyone happens to board a rehabbed bus that's in the 1000-1429 range, listen closely to the bus's motor. From what I could hear in 1141, it sounds like they are in fact replacing the Cummins ISM's in 1000-1429 with ISM motors like those in 1430-1629.

Thanks for bringing the different motor sounds up; I thought I was the only one who noticed it, but was afraid to bring false information to everyone. I rode 1088 on route 62 a couple times when I was back in the city, and like everyone else here, was on the lookout for rehabs. It did not have the new seat covers or updated website decals, but it did have the new Clever Devices unit and the roar of a Cummins ISM in the range of 1430-1629. There is a very noticeable difference between the sounds of the two series' engines, but I shrugged it off thinking I was hearing things.

As for 1088, I cannot comment whether it now has received the full rehab since I last rode it in early January.