1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

Your first shot shows how they've really been looking like they're making noticeable progress on the Washington and Madison legs of the Loop Link Project in recent weeks.

Good eye, at least the red lane.

Good eye, at least the red lane.

Yeah the red lane they looked like they made good progress with on both streets, especially on the Madison side. You can see things lining up to match the pattern of the finished product. I passed through there quite a number of times occasionally in the last few weeks and have been impressed with how things look to steadily progress further each time I've ridden past or through the corridor. On the Madison side, it looks like they're about set to start the actual construction of stations soon.

Problem is that you don't have a bunch of loud mouth activists on the northwest side, but a bunch of aldermen who are part of the Emanuel machine. Also, Emanuel knows he doesn't have to buy votes on the northwest side.

If they can't do anything about airport noise, which affects their constituents, they aren't interested in doing anything about transit equipment, which, I bet, proportionately, does not. There certainly wasn't any stink on the northwest side about the Crowd Reduction Plan.

Because the routes that went away (64, 69, 90N, 56A) were so minimal very few even noticed they were gone. The Pavilion folks actually got a service increase, with evening service for the first time since the Foster/East River days.

Because the routes that went away (64, 69, 90N, 56A) were so minimal very few even noticed they were gone. The Pavilion folks actually got a service increase, with evening service for the first time since the Foster/East River days.

And apparently, not enough L trains have crashed for unexplainable reasons or 6400 series buses are stuck at the side of the road to make a difference to them either. My point, which you confirmed, is that people on the far northwest side minimally use transit.

And apparently, not enough L trains have crashed for unexplainable reasons or 6400 series buses are stuck at the side of the road to make a difference to them either. My point, which you confirmed, is that people on the far northwest side minimally use transit.

Actually I suspect something very different. Namely, they don't know any better. A bus is a bus and an L car is an L car. They have no concept of whether it is old or new. Reminds me of when I was living in New York in 1982-83. The route I rode going home normally got brand-new RTS's, but sometimes we would get "shop spares" - elderly (1963) TDH5303's that had been express buses and thus had upholstered seats instead of hard plastic ones. One day, I am riding one of these oldsters, a couple of twentysomethings get on and sit behind me, and one is saying to the other, "Oh, this must be a new bus! These are really nice seats!". Same basic problem. The Wicker Park crowd couldn't tell a 2600 from a 5000's, and probably would prefer the 2600 as it has "nicer seats", and the ones further out have no reference point.

• Upvote 3

Actually I suspect something very different. Namely, they don't know any better. A bus is a bus and an L car is an L car. They have no concept of whether it is old or new. Reminds me of when I was living in New York in 1982-83. The route I rode going home normally got brand-new RTS's, but sometimes we would get "shop spares" - elderly (1963) TDH5303's that had been express buses and thus had upholstered seats instead of hard plastic ones. One day, I am riding one of these oldsters, a couple of twentysomethings get on and sit behind me, and one is saying to the other, "Oh, this must be a new bus! These are really nice seats!". Same basic problem. The Wicker Park crowd couldn't tell a 2600 from a 5000's, and probably would prefer the 2600 as it has "nicer seats", and the ones further out have no reference point.

The trolley books say that CTA pulled something similar in its early years, by painting conventional cars green and cream. However, like the dead skunk on the highway, northwest siders would be complaining if the buses were dead at the curb, that is if they were riding them.

I guess, on the other hand, some preacher could figure out pretty quickly if a bus on routes 3 or 4 didn't have A/C.

Rehabbed: #1889 

Special rehabbed or updated/awaiting via maintenance: #1009 #1072 #1186 #1210 #1315 #1327 #1411 #1683 #1746 #1760 #1794 #1907

Getting rehabbed inside the shop:  22 others 

Awaiting for rehab process: #1482 (Holy s--t!!! (the interior is already rehabbed (awaiting exterior rehab))) #1672 #1929 #2025 #2028

Questionable for rehab preparation or out of service: None

image.jpg

• Upvote 3

checking out #1147 I see they changed the right side handicap seats to the more modern #1304 seats. There's a few interior lights out one over the rear door and one over the left side galley. Looks good for being in an accident. 

3 or 5 seats? I have to put that info on the 1000s page.

You took a shot of #1147 sitting down?

Yes, i got tired of waiting for it to pull up to maybe the #62H bay and shot it sitting down, found out it was going back out 20 minutes later on the #55, so it was on an extended layover. It's leader had #8067 and was really slow, either a new operator or she was really being careful with the Novas. We left her in the dust at Hamlin. I didn't see her the whole 5-7 minutes I hung around taking pictures. (really slow operator:P) I also wanted to check out the Midway yard situation and see how easy it would be to bring #5000's there. You know they have a gate and a truck can drive right in, but where would they offload? I was also reading the State of Illinois passed a law that an oversize vehicle cannot use the expressway, so that really puts a can of worms on how to get from point A to B. That makes both argued drop off locations about just as difficult to deliver to.

Edited by BusHunter

Yes, i got tired of waiting for it to pull up to maybe the #62H bay and shot it sitting down, found out it was going back out 20 minutes later on the #55, so it was on an extended layover. It's leader had #8067 and was really slow, either a new operator or she was really being careful with the Novas. We left her in the dust at Hamlin. I didn't see her the whole 5-7 minutes I hung around taking pictures. (really slow operator:P) I also wanted to check out the Midway yard situation and see how easy it would be to bring #5000's there. You know they have a gate and a truck can drive right in, but where would they offload? I was also reading the State of Illinois passed a law that an oversize vehicle cannot use the expressway, so that really puts a can of worms on how to get from point A to B. That makes both argued drop off locations about just as difficult to deliver to.

Looks like you had an eventful journey I see! :P 

I'll get back about the 5000s in its topic later.