1000-series D40LF - Updates

BusHunter

I wonder of those two buses were buses 77th swiped from FG? Hmmm, I wonder if the 1000s rehabs will be completed at about the same time as the complete delivery of the 8100's.

No because the #8100's have the last 23 buses on delayed manufacture status. Yes, fg once had both buses. The remaining #1000's, all except one are easy to fix because they just have to replace the lights in them. There's a good chance they could be done soon, I sense a rahm press conference coming with the kids going back to school it's perfect politically to have a completion for them. If they are not done they could always garage a few buses. 77th seems to be going in surplus mode anyway. Don't know about 103rd though.

You can add #1531 as fully rehabbed on the #29 with a new paint job and exterior. But the destination sign wasn't working.

Awww not the signs again!!! Speaking of signs, #1557 front sign has been fixed after months of it's sign shading out the route number but only show mostly the route name. Also, #1527 front sign needs to be checked to see if it was fixed because of the same problem. If #1938 isn't on the rehab list then it's rehabbed. #1725 and #1839 were updated via maintenance. #1175 and #1950 are at the shop. #1600 is now OOS after a freak accident on the south side last night via #34. By the way, I was on #1147 yesterday and I only saw 2 front AMSECO Insight seats on the right side of the bus. The 3 front seats on the left are 6468s.

During my tour of Hyde Park today I discovered #1534 was rehabbed on the #15 and #1617 is fully rehabbed on the #171. #1617 has a new paint job with all new exterior signs and stickers. I can't remember if those were from it's mechanical rehab though. #1560 is also fully rehabbed on the #8, so they should be down to 16 rehabs left.

During my tour of Hyde Park today I discovered #1534 was rehabbed on the #15 and #1617 is fully rehabbed on the #171. #1617 has a new paint job with all new exterior signs and stickers. I can't remember if those were from it's mechanical rehab though. #1560 is also fully rehabbed on the #8, so they should be down to 16 rehabs left.

#1534 still doesn't have a paint job along with new decals. #1617 was upgraded from mechanical rehabbed leaving only #1612 and #1618 remaining as mechanical rehabbed in the 1600s on behalf of 103rd.

#1534 still doesn't have a paint job along with new decals. #1617 was upgraded from mechanical rehabbed leaving only #1612 and #1618 remaining as mechanical rehabbed in the 1600s on behalf of 103rd.

Looks like they did repaint #1534, it's paint job looked fresh; I know they put new number decals on the outside front cause the font is a little different. But you're right it still has the old sign on the rear. #1018 and #1125 hardly seems to run I don't know if they are possibly in the shop. At 77th #1289 has disappeared, probably to the shop and #1288 hasn't been around lately. The #1430's at Kedzie are staying unrehabbed for now, same with the others at NP and C. 

Looks like they did repaint #1534, it's paint job looked fresh; I know they put new number decals on the outside front cause the font is a little different. But you're right it still has the old sign on the rear. #1018 and #1125 hardly seems to run I don't know if they are possibly in the shop. At 77th #1289 has disappeared, probably to the shop and #1288 hasn't been around lately. The #1430's at Kedzie are staying unrehabbed for now, same with the others at NP and C. 

I have to check on #1288 and #1289 because I think one of them is rehabbed. I don't know what's the scenario for Kedzie's 1400s but that's really odd though.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that #1018 had finally made an appearance on the #15, so I checked it out. It's been fully rehabbed and repainted. So that's why it was at south shops. #1289 also showed up yesterday on the #4, (it's been out at least a month) but i couldn't check it. It's probably similar to #1018. Someone said all the buses were rehabbed now since I've been away. We shall see this week as I'll be checking out the last few. 

Checked out some more rehabs today and hmm... to my surprise they finally rehabbed #1438 on the #82, but they just added the interior lights, it needs the exterior repainted still. I also chased down some 103rd buses out in hyde park. #1111 was rehabbed on the #28 and the exterior was repainted. #1684 was rehabbed also on the #15, it had the exterior done from it's mechanical rehab. So we are down to the final 12 rehabs. All those buses now are from the first 630 #1000's. No more scary 40 footers with the purple lighting, (last 400) they are all done now. o.O

A few more rehabbed buses have shown up today. #1433 was rehabbed on the #12 but they didn't touch the exterior, just like #1438, so it would appear Kedzie is done unless you want to count the #800's lighting upgrade in which they are not done. #1502 was rehabbed on the #29 and it has the exterior finished as well. Looks like 103rd at least is working on the exteriors as most of what i've seen lately out of that garage has the exteriors redone. They just might have all the #1000's done. I really need to look at #1005, if it's done then they probably are done. Here's a shot of #1502

#1502:

cta_1502_on_29.thumb.PNG.8e9a62a5d5d10c2

• Upvote 1

It has been posted here about 1005 times that 1005 was the prototype for the rehabs and why the solicitation was for 1029 buses.

But the lighting upgrade contract was for all #1000's and even the hybrid 40 footers, So prototype or not, it is getting a lighting upgrade. I guess the 10 or 12 light kits they don't use will just be spares or they could put a couple sets on the #4000's. These #1000's now make the #4000's look old, but at least they are not stuck in 2001 like another garage.

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 2

Ok #1125 was rehabbed on the #29. The bus pulls up and I'm like wth, the bus has been at south shops for a month at least and it didn't get a paint job? I took a picture of it and damned if it doesn't have the updated signs on the rear and kneeling signs on the back door like it did get the exterior redone. They must have just missed the front door kneeling decal cause it was the old red one.

cta_1125_on_29.thumb.PNG.bf283a2cf196fb6

#1612 was out here on the #29 too, it's rehabbed and the exterior is done from the mechanical rehab it had. It's motor died at 13th nb and the bus didn't seem like it wanted to start (took about 4 tries) but it finally got going. I stayed out late and checked out #1616 on the #15 and took my ride past the soul circus. (51st/Evans) in Washington Park. Someone said it was also called the universoul circus. They had guys selling stuff out there on the weekend. Anyway #1616's rehabbed and the exterior was done from the mechanical rehab. I stuck around Roosevelt/State and checked out #1430, it's rehabbed and the exterior's done. So we can mark off Kedzie and 103rd as completed now. I got 5 more to check out and they are done rehabbing #1000's. .

Edited by BusHunter

Well you can just about hear the fat lady sing on these rehabs. #1005 was rehabbed today on the #72 and man that cummins engine sounds good. #1262 was rehabbed on the #50 and the exterior has been done as well. I'm down to the last 3, but they probably are rehabbed too. Here's some shots of #1262

#1262:

cta_1262_side_on_50.thumb.PNG.e6eb47dea7

cta_1262_rear_on_50.thumb.PNG.0bac2d3258

• Upvote 1