1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

i finally got to see #1482. That was an interesting bus. As soon as you board you can feel beneath your feet that the floor is heavily reinforced and slightly raised from the original floor. They cut the linoleum floor right next to the front wheel wells where the old and new join together. You can also feel the floor sink like a regular bus or something that has been broke in. (like a shoe) Here's a shot of that

cta_1482_floor_cut_in_half_post_accident

You can see when you ride it, there's lots of new looking stuff in front of those wheel wells. The cabinet to the left has got to be new it's all shiny and the hinges on it are shiny and not dull from age. The mirror looks new, even the inside moulding in the front looks new. They must have spent a boatload of cash fixing this bus. I took a picture of the front inside here

1482_new_cabinet_left_side.thumb.PNG.3a9

Then i took my standard exterior shots, i tried to get the front, but you can see the bus has been completely repainted since Garmon took his shot at south shops before it went to cummins earlier this year. Here's some shots of that.

cta_1482_rear_exterior_on_3.thumb.PNG.2e

cta_1482_side_on_3.thumb.PNG.070724a3cbc

cta_1482_front_on_3.thumb.PNG.39bb198605

Overall it was a nice bus that they chose to fix but it is starting to get old. It makes you wonder what else is possible like could it be possible to fix #4333? That's a way newer bus.

Ahhhh that's the spirit! :D

Overall it was a nice bus that they chose to fix but it is starting to get old. It makes you wonder what else is possible like could it be possible to fix #4333? That's a way newer bus.

Did you mean 4323? The whole rear section of 4333 was burned, so they would have to replace that.

Did you mean 4323? The whole rear section of 4333 was burned, so they would have to replace that.

#4323 was reported to have frame damage so it's probably dead. At least the front half. Although I can't see how a truck hitting the front would cause frame damage in the rear. #4333 looks to just need the rear half replaced. Too bad one was a hybrid and one is not, but maybe that wouldn't matter. If they went as far as replacing the front 2-4 feet of a bus anything is possible.

#4323 was reported to have frame damage so it's probably dead. At least the front half. Although I can't see how a truck hitting the front would cause frame damage in the rear. #4333 looks to just need the rear half replaced. Too bad one was a hybrid and one is not, but maybe that wouldn't matter. If they went as far as replacing the front 2-4 feet of a bus anything is possible.

The question you raise is how much front end damage 1482 had compared to 4323.

After the wreck 4323 had all the windows in the front half popped out. This is an indication of a major shock wave traveling thru the body. Remember, this was a relatively high speed impact nearly head on.

But would that shock wave make it to the rear. You would think the articulation would act as a stabilizer for the rear as that's meant to move back and forth. Worse case the articulation joint is damaged, but couldn't that be repaired?

Speaking of floors, I forgot to mention that last week I had 1658 for my 2nd half right and the floors weren't blue like most of the 1000-Series but were black like the 5000 and 7900's series. Looked very cool but I'm not sure if that's part of the rehab or was just an experimental bus. I was meaning to take a pic of the floor but kept forgetting. 

Speaking of floors, I forgot to mention that last week I had 1658 for my 2nd half right and the floors weren't blue like most of the 1000-Series but were black like the 5000 and 7900's series. Looked very cool but I'm not sure if that's part of the rehab or was just an experimental bus. I was meaning to take a pic of the floor but kept forgetting. 

If it were part of the rehab, the other 1029 buses would have had it. Must have been some maintenance issue.

Explain what you mean by a maintenance issue.

Something in the particular bus that needed to be fixed, as opposed to something contracted to be done to all 1030 buses as part of the rehab process (like installing LED interior lighting, mentioned by BusHunter).

Now if you are asking me what needed to be fixed, heck if I know.

You can fix almost any damage if you really want to. There were some fishbowls that were EXTREMELY damaged that came back. Worst was probably 7567 which hit the bridge center pier at 63rd/Central Park when almost new. It was gone from the left front corner, just to the right of the steering wheel, to the back door, almost a third of the bus, but almost two years later it came back and ran for many more years. 7899 was hit by a Rock Island RR switch engine at Vincennes and 95th and it eventually came back. 7400 (40) hit a tree on Fowler in Evanston. In fact, almost all, if not all, the "bicentennial" buses were major accident repairs. That was an era (early 80's) when CTA was not buying anything new and accident victims were rebuilt that under normal conditions would not have been.

• Upvote 3

You can fix almost any damage if you really want to. There were some fishbowls that were EXTREMELY damaged that came back.....

Issue seems to be that they were all carbon frame buses that could be fixed using normal techniques. Apparently it is not so easy with the current high tensile stainless steel frames. I don't recall much of any (such as the Nova that T-boned the cantilevered bridge beam) coming back. You were the one that mentioned that the shock wave probably killed 4323 rather than the damage at the impact site.

That bus has had that black floor ever since it was first ordered. It's an experiment. It's the only one in the fleet like that, but there are about 3 that have an unfinished blue floor in them around #1384, all in numerical order. 

That bus has had that black floor ever since it was first ordered. It's an experiment. It's the only one in the fleet like that, but there are about 3 that have an unfinished blue floor in them around #1384, all in numerical order. 

You mean what I like to think of as the charcoal floors in that 1384 range?xD 

Well i finally got to see #1289 on the #4 yesterday. In all that time it was at south shops it never got repainted? That was kind of a shock. The bustracker on it kept going in and out, I thought it might have short turned on me due to the marathon, but the second I thought that, it showed up visually and on bustracker.  Bustracker had it's follower at 43rd sb and it was sitting right in front of me at Randolph/Michigan so the tracker was really screwed up, but it was right, there were bunches of 4 or 5 packs of #4's and I saw why from the Art Institute south it was all bumper to bumper and they had shutdown all entrance into Grant park. They had the NB's turning east off Congress onto Michigan but my bus went south on Michigan so I think everyone was confused. 

So I'm down to one bus to check #1277, but it hasn't been in service now going on two weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • garmon757 pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Hey hey, while checking out Loop Link I spotted #800 which now has the LED interior lights. Didn't look like it was repainted but I think those just get the lighting upgrade.

Then my eyes weren't playing tricks on me when I saw #806 on #157 with what looked to be the new LEDs.

I took a look at #805, it's doesn't yet have the new interior lights. I did swing over to the #21 and took a trip on #800, the bus was clean and it appeared to have the seats updated, a few longitudinal seats weren't changed around the door area, but i guess it passes inspection.

• 2 weeks later...