1000-series D40LF - Updates

BusHunter

It's still the Cummins ISM7 engine. I wouldn't think they put a Cummins ISL7 engine for those busses 1XXX < 1630.

As I mentioned to someone yesterday, you would either have to download the specs (and there might still be a way to use Google to do that, even though they are not live on the Procurement page), or pop the engine door. There was a press release when the 5800s were rebuilt (for an apparently short life) that they got new EGR engines, but unless you do either, you don't know if they just overhauled engines, got rebuilt engines (as the Pace specs provided), or new ones.There would also be the question whether the smaller engines in those 1630 or after can haul around a supposedly heavier bus in the 1629 and under range.

I have mentioned to the same person that I don't play "name that tune" on bus engines, so you are on your own.

As I mentioned to someone yesterday, you would either have to download the specs (and there might still be a way to use Google to do that, even though they are not live on the Procurement page), or pop the engine door. There was a press release when the 5800s were rebuilt (for an apparently short life) that they got new EGR engines, but unless you do either, you don't know if they just overhauled engines, got rebuilt engines (as the Pace specs provided), or new ones.There would also be the question whether the smaller engines in those 1630 or after can haul around a supposedly heavier bus in the 1629 and under range.

I have mentioned to the same person that I don't play "name that tune" on bus engines, so you are on your own.

I was correct on the Nova LFS 6400's having Cummins ISC Engines, the New Flyer 5800's had Detroit Series-50, as did Flxible 6000-6304, Flxible 5300-5744 and 5766-5769 had Detroit 6V92TA, TMC RTS had Detroit 6V92. New Flyer had Cummins ISM(1000-1629) and Cummins ISL(1630-2029)... I have sources to find out, but won't reveal them to you... and I can determine engines, especially diesel engines by sound... I grew up around a diesel bus garage!!! I can tell you International School Buses from the late 80's through 2003-2004 use 7.3L Diesel Engines(now 6.4L(2005-2008/9 and 6.7L(2009-Present) Powerstroke Diesel Engines), Transit School Buses(Flatnose) with the engine in the interior by the driver are powered by a 5.9 Cummins Engine(late '80's-2006)6.7 Cummins(2007-Present). Small Ford E-Series School Buses are powered by the same 7.3L, 6.4 or 6.7L engine depending on year of bus. Chevy School Van Buses are powered by the 6.5L Duramax Diesel Engine(6.2L GM Diesel engine before the 6.5L was made in the '90's). So yeah, name that bus engine by sound I'm good at....

Now, from a mechanic's family, I can school you here and tell you rebuilt and overhauled engines are the exact same thing, just different wording(Google). :o;) This is where I know what I'm talking about, and am more expert at!!!

Also, I'm not the only who knows these bus engines.... our Admin, Kevin, agrees with this so much his info page dissects the D40LF by engine... did you read it? Here's the link.... can you say both he and I are wrong??? You're more than welcome to debate it, but the proof is in the post(and info page)...

By the way, the Nova LFS Smart Buses are equipped with the Cummins ISL9 engine.

• Upvote 2

It's still the Cummins ISM7 engine. I wouldn't think they put a Cummins ISL7 engine for those busses 1XXX < 1630.

You are correct, garmon757... the ISM7 engine was just rebuilt/rehabbed(same thing, different words). ^_^:) I enjoy knowing this stuff!!! ^_^:) And I can safely say I'm right!!! :blink::D

Apologies to the rest of the forum members... I just had a bad few days because of one member, and this broke me out of the shell because Diesel Engine knowledge is a strong point. Happy rant aside!!! :D

I was correct on the Nova LFS 6400's having Cummins ISC Engines, the New Flyer 5800's had Detroit Series-50, as did Flxible 6000-6304, Flxible 5300-5744 and 5766-5769 had Detroit 6V92TA, TMC RTS had Detroit 6V92. New Flyer had Cummins ISM(1000-1629) and Cummins ISL(1630-2029)... I have sources to find out, but won't reveal them to you... and I can determine engines, especially diesel engines by sound... I grew up around a diesel bus garage!!! I can tell you International School Buses from the late 80's through 2003-2004 use 7.3L Diesel Engines(now 6.4L(2005-2008/9 and 6.7L(2009-Present) Powerstroke Diesel Engines), Transit School Buses(Flatnose) with the engine in the interior by the driver are powered by a 5.9 Cummins Engine(late '80's-2006)6.7 Cummins(2007-Present). Small Ford E-Series School Buses are powered by the same 7.3L, 6.4 or 6.7L engine depending on year of bus. Chevy School Van Buses are powered by the 6.5L Duramax Diesel Engine(6.2L GM Diesel engine before the 6.5L was made in the '90's). So yeah, name that bus engine by sound I'm good at....

I know I was very young at the time when the Flxibles were in service but I think 5730, 5741-43, 5746 and 5748-5764 may had a different engine (based off the silverish wheels just like the 6000s). I remember 5744, 5747, and 5765-69 had the Detroit engines before they were retired.

You are correct, garmon757... the ISM7 engine was just rebuilt/rehabbed(same thing, different words). ^_^:) I enjoy knowing this stuff!!! ^_^:) And I can safely say I'm right!!! :blink::D

Apologies to the rest of the forum members... I just had a bad few days because of one member, and this broke me out of the shell because Diesel Engine knowledge is a strong point. Happy rant aside!!! :D

That's what I've thought about them being rebuilt. What sense does it make to swap engines if all of the New Flyers are not the same?

I know I was very young at the time when the Flxibles were in service but I think 5730, 5741-43, 5746 and 5748-5764 may had a different engine (based off the silverish wheels just like the 6000s). I remember 5744, 5747, and 5765-69 had the Detroit engines before they were retired.

There were decals on the black masking just left of the front doors saying Cummins, and Krambles's book said that 20 had Cummins L-10 and 5 had DD 6V91, instead of most having 6V92T.

Also, the Pace specs did have a distinction between rebuilt and rehabbed--there were three contractors: one provides its own rebuilt engines, another provides its own rebuilt transmissions, and the third yanks out the old ones and installs what the other two provided. The specs called for what [was in the 2600s] ISB 5.9 and Allison B300R "or equivalent." Maybe the engines and transmissions taken out of the buses were rebuilt and "recycled" into later buses, but the buses were not supposed to be out of service for the length of time it was to rehab the engines to keep the same one in the same bus.

If you listen to rehabbed buses in the 1000-1429 range though, it sounds like those buses have ISM7s instead of their original ISM6 engines.

What is the difference between an ISL and an ISM engine?

Cummins ISM engines have better power and torque than the ISL engines. ISM's have an electronic fuel injection while the ISL's have a High Pressure Common Rail fuel injection. ISM's are more compatible with all transmission models than ISL's. However, ISL's are more compatible with conventional driveline and hybrid ready configurations than ISM's.

I wonder why #1000-#1004 have not been rehabbed but yet #1005 is.

As been mentioned a few times before, 1005 was the prototype for the rehabs. Plus CTA is not doing the rehabs in anything resembling numerical order. They'll just get to them when they get to them.

• Upvote 3

I'm taking #1086 off the rehabbed list. It shows no signs of rehab, not even an updated clever device.

My bad. When I rode it I thought the lighting looked different, it seemed to ride better and the seats somehow looked cleaner; I'll admit I wasn't paying attention to the clever device or the handicapped seat inserts.

#1196 is rehabbed garmon. Also #1291 and #1298 are rehabbed

You stalking me now??? LOL :P I was just about to say both #1196 and #1291 were rehabbed! I don't understand why they didn't fix #1291's number decals on the back of the bus. It's all torn up making it hard to see the numbers unless you're really close by it.

You stalking me now??? LOL :P I was just about to say both #1196 and #1291 were rehabbed! I don't understand why they didn't fix #1291's number decals on the back of the bus. It's all torn up making it hard to see the numbers unless you're really close by it.

I'm surprised you didn't see #1298. It was #1196's leader. Spotted #1292 which wasn't rehabbed yet with the lights. It passed by so quick I couldn't tell if it was mechanically rehabbed or not. I guess I'll have to keep it on the list until I know for sure.

I'm surprised you didn't see #1298. It was #1196's leader. Spotted #1292 which wasn't rehabbed yet with the lights. It passed by so quick I couldn't tell if it was mechanically rehabbed or not. I guess I'll have to keep it on the list until I know for sure.

I've spotted both of them around 3pm while I was chowing down some Panda Express on Adams and Michigan.

I've spotted both of them around 3pm while I was chowing down some Panda Express on Adams and Michigan.

I saw all of those, around 5 or 6, around the same spot. Saw #1619 on the #60. #1545, another rehabbed bus, on the #62 had some heavy vandalism on it at the inside rear. Someone wrote with a really thick heavy black marker on the lighter color fiberboards (or whatever you call it) close to the floor and there was some bad etching around the window frame. I don't know why but 74th's buses have the roughest looking rehab buses. #1583 had nearly the same problem with the etching.

I saw all of those, around 5 or 6, around the same spot. Saw #1619 on the #60. #1545, another rehabbed bus, on the #62 had some heavy vandalism on it at the inside rear. Someone wrote with a really thick heavy black marker on the lighter color fiberboards (or whatever you call it) close to the floor and there was some bad etching around the window frame. I don't know why but 74th's buses have the roughest looking rehab buses. #1583 had nearly the same problem with the etching.

It's because of lack of decency when it comes to people.