1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

39 minutes ago, ajay said:

So You telling me...I wasted my time... making the other D40LF topics and this one already exist? Smh. Ok I really need to start making more sense. If I knew this thread already exist...i would have never made those topics.

???? you got me dying of laughter “so you telling me...I wasted my time...making the other D40LF topics and this one already exists?”

3 hours ago, ajm522 said:

Are the 1000 series not good in the heat? All of the busses I’ve heard from 103,77 and 74 all sound line their engines are over heating and it is very loud. 

HVAC is probably what you're hearing, some of the #7900's HVACs make that same loud noise when in motion but the noise goes away once the bus comes to a stop and idles.  I didn't hear much of that before the rehabs on the #1000's but afterwards i've heard it a lot during the spring and summer months. 

Here's a better sense of what you might be hearing though. Right around 19:39 you'll hear the loud roar of what appears to be the A/C.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

HVAC is probably what you're hearing, some of the #7900's HVACs make that same loud noise when in motion but the noise goes away once the bus comes to a stop and idles.  I didn't hear much of that before the rehabs on the #1000's but afterwards i've heard it a lot during the spring and summer months. 

Here's a better sense of what you might be hearing though. Right around 19:39 you'll hear the loud roar of what appears to be the A/C.

Hide contents

Thank you! that is the exact sound. I thought all of the engines or transmissions were bad but every single 1000 I encountered today had that sound.

CTA has had issues with maintenance from time to time since time immemorial. For instance in 1981 things at 77th got so bad that almost their entire 5307 fleet was swapped out. 1000's with FG, 9600's with NP, 7400's with 69 (I think). Over 100 buses involved. The receiving garages were not pleased. In fact NP refused to send 9600-9692 back after fixing them up. At the same time any Flx's or 300's at S Shop awaiting work were simply retired.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:30 PM, ajm522 said:

Thank you! that is the exact sound. I thought all of the engines or transmissions were bad but every single 1000 I encountered today had that sound.

What you guys are hearing are the cooling fans located on the drivers side rear for the engine. It has nothing to do with the a/c. 

Edited by BusOps
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

4119 is easy to be fixed all it needs is a new front and that’s it should be getting it soon 

If that were the case it would of been done by now. If my memory is right, #4119 has been oos for what nearly a year or two now and the age of the bus is nearly 12 yearsold, not saying it won't get repaired but most of the #4000's rehabs have been completed and yet it still hasn't seen much activity in regards to repairing it other than movement from the boneyard to the repair shop on the west end of 77th. 

54 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

If that were the case it would of been done by now. If my memory is right, #4119 has been oos for what nearly a year or two now and the age of the bus is nearly 12 yearsold, not saying it won't get repaired but most of the #4000's rehabs have been completed and yet it still hasn't seen much activity in regards to repairing it other than movement from the boneyard to the repair shop on the west end of 77th. 

If my memory is correct 4167 has been oos for almost a year but 4119 I think crashed earlier this year idk I can’t remember 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

True I question that also just like I know 1805 1186 &1821 most likely done with