1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

16 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Didn't MTA Maryland get some D40LF's off a piggyback order on CTA's? I know that's how they got the D60LF's. MTA Maryland retired their shoeboxes, so many Johns Hopkins bought them?

I want to take the MTA Baltimore employees word for it but unless he can send some visual evidence I wouldn't hang my hat to high on it.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

This man has no clue of what he is talking about, there are no photos or videos to confirm that. Why would CTA ever send buses out that far? he probably mistaken ours with Marylands.

I wouldn't say all that now, he wouldn't mistake MTAs for ours without a reason to, MTA retired all of theres last year and scrapped a majority of them already. 

9 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Video link???

I don't know if this is true or not.  I would like to see evidence.   Is it possible?  Absolutely.   Is it likely?  I doubt it.  There are several TAs closer to Baltimore than Chicago that could loan equipment.  

What I think is the poster mistook the livery for being CTA.  A lot of TAs have a similar color scheme,  so it could be an innocent mistake.  However, as unlikely as it is, it's very possible CTA COULD  send 5 to 10 buses that way to help out.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know if this is true or not.  I would like to see evidence.   Is it possible?  Absolutely.   Is it likely?  I doubt it.  There are several TAs closer to Baltimore than Chicago that could loan equipment.  

What I think is the poster mistook the livery for being CTA.  A lot of TAs have a similar color scheme,  so it could be an innocent mistake.  However, as unlikely as it is, it's very possible CTA COULD  send 5 to 10 buses that way to help out.

Yeah, but if they're D40LF's specifically, I can't think of many still running around the mid-atlantic/east coast. In fact, MTA Maryland was the last holdout from about Richmond to Boston that I can think of off top, and those have been retired at least a year (which doesn't preclude them going to Johns Hopkins, but they have a very, let's say distinctive livery, considering that they're in the state of Maryland).

What's more likely, as I spent a summer living in Baltimore and ~2 years going back and forth from there to DC on a irregular basis and I've seen the JHU shuttles, is that the person got a Gillig confused for a shoebox. The standard diesel variations look very similar, especially from a distance, and Johns Hopkins has only ever used Gilligs for their shuttle service. A quick inspection of CPTDB shows they get them all second-hand, almost all from the same supplier, and in the last ~20 years, almost all the same model. I don't think CTA has sold off or retired enough shoeboxes that they'd end up for purchase, and it does seem farfetched to loan out buses halfway across the country.

1022 is missing most of it's decals from the right side of the bus (Fleet #, Kneeling sticker, Battery disconnect sticker, exit through rear door). And 1691 had broken or severely worn down struts, it was bouncing and leaning crazy. 1691 also smelled STRONGLY like gas.

2 hours ago, TGP01 said:

1022 is missing most of it's decals from the right side of the bus (Fleet #, Kneeling sticker, Battery disconnect sticker, exit through rear door). And 1691 had broken or severely worn down struts, it was bouncing and leaning crazy. 1691 also smelled STRONGLY like gas.

visit to SS would be really great for #1691 1022 FG can take care of with stickers they just lazy 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

on #1342 right now these seats are completely new and different i’m really shocked this the only bus that came back from a fire rest are retired @YoungBusLover

image.jpg

Ye I was able to get 1342 as well recently that bus has cooler seats it’s not fabric but I like em still I need to record this one I didn’t record it last time tho

5 hours ago, TGP01 said:

Yeah #1022 is half way naked on the right side lol. They should take it OOS and fix that side.