1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

attachicon.gifPHOTO_20131204_174817.jpgattachicon.gifPHOTO_20131204_174804.jpgattachicon.gifPHOTO_20131204_174918.jpg

Just rode rehabbed #1594 on 12 Roosevelt earlier this evening. Here's some pics and a close up with the new LED lighting. It's extraordinarily bright.

Can't say I don't believe it... I really can't see the difference. The third pic looks like the standard fluorescent lighting 1594 always had. I don't see the purple hue talked about(as BusHunter says, it's just a purple glow at the ends of the bars). But I'm not saying it's not there... due to my colorblindness, I have difficulty seeing standout color. Now if they went with vivid orange LED's, I'd probably notice it, or LED's like 4150-4207 had... even the ones 1630-2029 had(all blue), then I'd probably pick up the difference. Heck, if they went with interiors like 5269-5270 on up have(the blue-grey replacing the tan interior walls), that I would notice for sure.

Can't say I don't believe it... I really can't see the difference. The third pic looks like the standard fluorescent lighting 1594 always had. I don't see the purple hue talked about(as BusHunter says, it's just a purple glow at the ends of the bars). But I'm not saying it's not there... due to my colorblindness, I have difficulty seeing standout color. Now if they went with vivid orange LED's, I'd probably notice it, or LED's like 4150-4207 had... even the ones 1630-2029 had(all blue), then I'd probably pick up the difference. Heck, if they went with interiors like 5269-5270 on up have(the blue-grey replacing the tan interior walls), that I would notice for sure.

I respect your response about it. I'm still trying to figure out the purple color scenario with the lighting of the rehabbed NFs. Vivid orange LED's? Sounds intriguing. I was thinking about #1272 with it's lighting was extraordinarily different from the other NFs between 1000-1629 because of the blue hue before the rehab. It think #1272's lighting is almost similar to #3295-96 if I'm not mistaking.

I've been trying to figure out 1268 up at NP for the past 2 or 3 weeks. It has the newer Clever Device unit and the new seat inserts reported for rehabbed NFs. But it still has the same headlights and since I've only managed to ride it during daytime hours I haven't really been able to pick up on much to say there's a difference in lighting to point to further evidence that it underwent a rehab.

I respect your response about it. I'm still trying to figure out the purple color scenario with the lighting of the rehabbed NFs. Vivid orange LED's? Sounds intriguing. I was thinking about #1272 with it's lighting was extraordinarily different from the other NFs between 1000-1629 because of the blue hue before the rehab. It think #1272's lighting is almost similar to #3295-96 if I'm not mistaking.

This is what I envisioned for the orange LED idea, garmon...

1594 Orange LED's.bmp

I've been trying to figure out 1268 up at NP for the past 2 or 3 weeks. It has the newer Clever Device unit and the new seat inserts reported for rehabbed NFs. But it still has the same headlights and since I've only managed to ride it during daytime hours I haven't really been able to pick up on much to say there's a difference in lighting to point to further evidence that it underwent a rehab.

Looking at Garmon's interior light shot, it appears to be the same lights as before. The rehabbed lights if you can catch them at the right angle have the same look as the stimulus artics, but appear to have more individual lights per tube because they appear to be spaced closer together inside the tube. The purple tint you would have to take a close picture of to see. (pan above and look at my pictures a couple pages up) But it's just a slight coloring at the ends of the tubes, best viewed in person. The biggest difference in lighting appears from the outside of the bus where if you look closely you can pick up the blue tint. Some of these buses like Jajuan and i have stated are clearly not fully rehabbed. For instance #1197 has the new seat inserts, Clever Device upgrade but nothing else. I definitely notice a difference between that bus and something fully rehabbed like #1583. But even that bus doesn't have the headlight upgrade. AFAIK #909, #1159 and #1005 are the only buses with these new headlights in the #1000 series.

• Upvote 2

Looking at Garmon's interior light shot, it appears to be the same lights as before. The rehabbed lights if you can catch them at the right angle have the same look as the stimulus artics, but appear to have more individual lights per tube because they appear to be spaced closer together inside the tube. The purple tint you would have to take a close picture of to see. (pan above and look at my pictures a couple pages up) But it's just a slight coloring at the ends of the tubes, best viewed in person. The biggest difference in lighting appears from the outside of the bus where if you look closely you can pick up the blue tint. Some of these buses like Jajuan and i have stated are clearly not fully rehabbed. For instance #1197 has the new seat inserts, Clever Device upgrade but nothing else. I definitely notice a difference between that bus and something fully rehabbed like #1583. But even that bus doesn't have the headlight upgrade. AFAIK #909, #1159 and #1005 are the only buses with these new headlights in the #1000 series.

Do you think that every NF up to 1629 are going to have the same lighting with some blue hue inside of it?

Yes, unless they are rehabbing with several different sets of lights. Besides the contract states an interior light upgrade on all #1000's not some of them.

Well that's very reasonable. I'm just concerned about the lighting on the NFs 1630-2029. I like the dark blue hue when looking at some of them from the outside but as far as I know, I haven't heard any bus 1630 and higher got rehabbed yet.

Got my chance to see my first bus with light rehabs today.... #1312 on #50. That really was it... there was a very slight hue of purple, as BusHunter stated, and the lights kinda resembled those on 4150-4207. The only thing... it wasn't a complete rehab. The two small lights near the driver were not replaced, they both were burned out. Also, the seat inserts were the old ones, not the newer style ones. What gives??? Are the New Flyers not getting full rehabs???

Got my chance to see my first bus with light rehabs today.... #1312 on #50. That really was it... there was a very slight hue of purple, as BusHunter stated, and the lights kinda resembled those on 4150-4207. The only thing... it wasn't a complete rehab. The two small lights near the driver were not replaced, they both were burned out. Also, the seat inserts were the old ones, not the newer style ones. What gives??? Are the New Flyers not getting full rehabs???

That gets down to the question whether CTA is just replacing burned out light bulbs with LEDs.* Again, the way I figure it, they should be rehabbing 1000s before 1300s 1500s, and based on delivery dates, the 1300s would be a year down the road. Of course, I don't have the sheet given to the contractor.

*And doing a Homer Simpson job of it.

That gets down to the question whether CTA is just replacing burned out light bulbs with LEDs.* Again, the way I figure it, they should be rehabbing 1000s before 1300s 1500s, and based on delivery dates, the 1300s would be a year down the road. Of course, I don't have the sheet given to the contractor.

*And doing a Homer Simpson job of it.

Sounds like maybe they did in SW4400's case. The absence of seats inserts and updated Clever devices does make it sound that way. Buses are being rehabbed AFAIK up to #1629 for now, any bus, no special order. #1500's from 74th are being rehabbed now. There's plenty of base order #1000's at Fg that haven't been done, just #1227 and possibly #1098.

Sounds like maybe they did in SW4400's case. The absence of seats inserts and updated Clever devices does make it sound that way. Buses are being rehabbed AFAIK up to #1629 for now, any bus, no special order. #1500's from 74th are being rehabbed now. There's plenty of base order #1000's at Fg that haven't been done, just #1227 and possibly #1098.

Oh, it had the new Clever Devices unit. Just the old seat inserts and the shorter bulbs at the front of #1312 that were left untouched make me wonder why an incomplete rehab. Complete the job fully, or don't do it all... it makes no sense.

Oh, it had the new Clever Devices unit. Just the old seat inserts and the shorter bulbs at the front of #1312 that were left untouched make me wonder why an incomplete rehab. Complete the job fully, or don't do it all... it makes no sense.

Like I said, maybe it is better if a bus was running with no headlights. :blink:

Here's a list of rehabbed buses that I taken a ride on or have seen this week. #1545,#1276(Has blue Lights Btw)and I believe #1036. They all had new seats and major improvements to the interior, but i am not sure if they got any updates to there engines. Also I recently took a ride on #1005 and the engine had more of a loud sound to it than before.

Here's a list of rehabbed buses that I taken a ride on or have seen this week. #1545,#1276(Has blue Lights Btw)and I believe #1036. They all had new seats and major improvements to the interior, but i am not sure if they got any updates to there engines. Also I recently took a ride on #1005 and the engine had more of a loud sound to it than before.

1276 came with those lights so its kinda easy to mistake it for a rehabbed bus unless you noticed other changes to it. However since we're mentioning 1000's from 77th, 1294 has been rehabbed and the coat looks brand new. I wasnt riding it but drove behind it a week ago on Cottage Grove. It even looks like it rides smoother (wasnt bouncing around as much on acceleration)

1276 came with those lights so its kinda easy to mistake it for a rehabbed bus unless you noticed other changes to it. However since we're mentioning 1000's from 77th, 1294 has been rehabbed and the coat looks brand new. I wasnt riding it but drove behind it a week ago on Cottage Grove. It even looks like it rides smoother (wasnt bouncing around as much on acceleration)

Oh I never knew that about #1276 but also Does anyone know if 74th has rehabbed any of there #1730's, Because #1736 sounds different from its other counterparts that Have the Cummins ISL/ZF Combo. Its sounds like it has a used ISM put into it.

Oh I never knew that about #1276 but also Does anyone know if 74th has rehabbed any of there #1730's, Because #1736 sounds different from its other counterparts that Have the Cummins ISL/ZF Combo. Its sounds like it has a used ISM put into it.

Yeah. 1272, 1275, 1276, and 1283 already came with LED's so you'd have to look at more than the interior lights on those particular 4 buses if you are trying to figure if they've been rehabbed. As far as #1736, I don't know because I've barely ridden any routes out of that garage lately.... however I wouldn't doubt it because 77th is already working on it's 1900's (just got off of rehabbed bus #1955 on the N87 night bus) so there definately isn't any order to the rehabs.

Well that's very reasonable. I'm just concerned about the lighting on the NFs 1630-2029. I like the dark blue hue when looking at some of them from the outside but as far as I know, I haven't heard any bus 1630 and higher got rehabbed yet.

Hey, to answer your question about 1630 and up, #1955 (77th's bus) has the newer LED's with a bit of the purple where the lights connect with the next row. Looks to me like they're just picking any bus at this point.