1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

Hey, to answer your question about 1630 and up, #1955 (77th's bus) has the newer LED's with a bit of the purple where the lights connect with the next row. Looks to me like they're just picking any bus at this point.

That's probably the reason why I haven't seen that bus in a while. Thanks for the info.

Yeah alot of those deep blue lights are being replaced in a hopscotch fashion anyway. You should see #1671 every other light is either white or blue. Better to just switch them all out. Well anyway remember how I saying #1097 just had the seats done and the clever devices upgrade. Well now it has the new interior lights. So this appears to be a wip. I guess there isn't going to be a headlight upgrade unless that's still coming.

Yeah alot of those deep blue lights are being replaced in a hopscotch fashion anyway. You should see #1671 every other light is either white or blue. Better to just switch them all out. Well anyway remember how I saying #1097 just had the seats done and the clever devices upgrade. Well now it has the new interior lights. So this appears to be a wip. I guess there isn't going to be a headlight upgrade unless that's still coming.

Hey, I was on #1671 earlier on Cermak. I don't know why that bus have multiple lights like that. Very strange. I was on #1442 on Cicero this morning and I'm trying to debate if the new lights have the blue/purpleish hue inside of them or the plastic light coverings have some blue on them. I'm having a feeling that all of the new flyers aren't going to have that kind of lighting because of the fact that I witnessed #1579, #1583, #1591, and #1594's lightings does't have that blue/purpleish hue. I'll try to take some more pics later on as soon as I see more busses that are rehabbed.

They didn't post a solicitation for that. Maybe it could be done in house, or the engines on the hybrids don't get that fouled.

Fair enough. I don't see why not. I saw some 900s at 77th a couple of weeks ago but I don't know why though. The only active 900s I saw this lately was #907 yesterday on the 143.

Fair enough. I don't see why not. I saw some 900s at 77th a couple of weeks ago but I don't know why though. The only active 900s I saw this lately was #907 yesterday on the 143.

900s been breaking down a lot since they were new, But I actually like them better than 800s.

900s been breaking down a lot since they were new, But I actually like them better than 800s.

Well, there is only 20 total(10 GM/Allison Hybrid, 10 ISE/Thundervolt Hybrid). These are experimental, hence why there is only 20 broken into 10 of each. Even Kevin's news post here mentions that they are being tested for at least one year to measure performance in extreme weather conditions. Well, it's about the six year mark for both(800's received in 2006, 900's in 2007). These can be easily retired now as the Nova LFS Smart Buses start rolling in. That's most likely why they weren't included in the rehab... CTA probably plans on retiring them soon.

• Upvote 2

Well, there is only 20 total(10 GM/Allison Hybrid, 10 ISE/Thundervolt Hybrid). These are experimental, hence why there is only 20 broken into 10 of each. Even Kevin's news post here mentions that they are being tested for at least one year to measure performance in extreme weather conditions. Well, it's about the six year mark for both(800's received in 2006, 900's in 2007). These can be easily retired now as the Nova LFS Smart Buses start rolling in. That's most likely why they weren't included in the rehab... CTA probably plans on retiring them soon.

Interesting information but how sure are you about them being retired?

Interesting information but how sure are you about them being retired?

I'm not saying right now, but that is probably why they weren't included in the rehab of 1,030 buses, otherwise it would've been 1,050. They have about the same mileage as some of the 2006 and 2007 model New Flyers now. They probably don't plan on keeping them in service too much longer. 20 buses won't be missed too much. There's enough current and future stock to replace them.

That's not high up on the radar yet. They mostly want to get rid of the Optimas and these old Novas. The Optimas have a six year service life being short buses versus 12 for the 40 footers, so technically they can retire them. I wonder however where do these experimental #800/#900 buses fit in. Are they bound to a 12 year service life? If you notice the #5900's even though they have been retired remain on CTA property. Are they bound to this also? If so, that just is not viable from a storage standpoint. Do they really want to store 20 buses they can still use?

That's not high up on the radar yet. They mostly want to get rid of the Optimas and these old Novas. The Optimas have a six year service life being short buses versus 12 for the 40 footers, so technically they can retire them. I wonder however where do these experimental #800/#900 buses fit in. Are they bound to a 12 year service life? If you notice the #5900's even though they have been retired remain on CTA property. Are they bound to this also? If so, that just is not viable from a storage standpoint. Do they really want to store 20 buses they can still use?

I imagine after the Novas and Optimas go, these will be retired. CTA doesn't seem to be putting any money into mid-lifes for them, and they sure need it about now.

I don't know the full story on the 900's, but I rarely hear many people talking about them. With ten out there, you'd think at least five or six would be on the road per day, but only one or two are reported. Makes you wonder what's going on with this series.

I imagine after the Novas and Optimas go, these will be retired. CTA doesn't seem to be putting any money into mid-lifes for them, and they sure need it about now.

I don't know the full story on the 900's, but I rarely hear many people talking about them. With ten out there, you'd think at least five or six would be on the road per day, but only one or two are reported. Makes you wonder what's going on with this series.

I understand your point of view about them but in order for them to be retired so soon, they have to have some kind of a major flaw. Like for example, the Nabi 60-LFW (7500s) are retired because it was an obstruction of the articulation joint resulting a structual failure. I would like for them to still be around for a few more years but that's CTA's call on them. It's a challanging situation because CTA do lack hybrid 40 foot busses.

Based on what information? Yeah it's true they were an experimental order of buses, but it's a big leap to saying CTA is going to retire them soon like they will be the 6400 series Novas especially when the CTA made no mention that they were going to do so. Not all the 6000-series Flxibles got a rehab and 285 of the original number, both rehabbed and non rehabbed, still made it through approximately 17-18 years of CTA revenue service.

• Upvote 2

Anyway why retire something that is saving gas money? I'd keep the hybrids around as long as possible.

Right if anything it's kind of a shame CTA didn't have money to at least get more of the GM/Allison style 40 foot hybrids than they did. That model does seem to have been the more popular model with TAs than the 900 series ISE/Thundervolts. It would have been nice to see more 800s rolling around comparable to how many hybrids SEPTA or WMATA has in their fleets.

And technically speaking sw, the 5800s were also an experiment in a way for CTA if you consider they only ordered 65 and those made it to approximately 13-14 years of service. Not getting a rehab is not enough justification to predict retirement is on the horizon. Federal money paid for them just like they did the 1000s so they may be bound to the 12 year service life meaning no retirement in the picture until at least 2018 to 2019 for these buses as BusHunter suggests. DE40LFs might have been relatively new to CTA but not to other TAs considering New Flyer started producing them in 2001. Don't let CTA being behind the times fool you into drawing too fast a conclusion about when something gets retired.

In regards to the Optimas the FTA service life might be longer, but if I remember correctly I think Busjack mentioned the funding source didn't include federal dollars so that probably is the main and real reason CTA can retire those so soon.

• Upvote 2

Please tell me that the engine/transmission on #1478 sounds very different with more power.

I don't understand how, garmon757. The engine in 1478 has been rebuilt, not replaced. All they did was replace key components to lengthen the life expectancy of the motor. Basically they replace fuel lines, preheaters, emission and muffler systems, electrical components, brake lines, etc... It's still the same Cummins ISM that 1478 came in with. A Cummins ISL would be struggling to move the bus as efficiently as a Cummins ISM would, due to the framework of the bus. 1000-1629 are built on steel frames, which add more weight to the bus as a whole and require a engine with more HP to drive it. That's why New Flyer outfitted them with the Cummins ISM engines. When 1630-2029 were ordered, the CTA opted to use carbon frames as they are lighter and allow for a more fuel efficient engine to be used, that's where the Cummins ISL came in. All the current buses since 1630-2029 have been built using the carbon frames. The New Flyer XE40's will be using carbon frames and I'm sure the CTA told Nova Bus they want the LFS Smart Buses to be built using carbon frames, which will be more fuel efficient for the Cummins ISL9 this bus has for the ULSD(Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) model, which is what will be coming in 2014.

Right if anything it's kind of a shame CTA didn't have money to at least get more of the GM/Allison style 40 foot hybrids than they did. That model does seem to have been the more popular model with TAs than the 900 series ISE/Thundervolts. It would have been nice to see more 800s rolling around comparable to how many hybrids SEPTA or WMATA has in their fleets.

And technically speaking sw, the 5800s were also an experiment in a way for CTA if you consider they only ordered 65 and those made it to approximately 13-14 years of service. Not getting a rehab is not enough justification to predict retirement is on the horizon. Federal money paid for them just like they did the 1000s so they may be bound to the 12 year service life meaning no retirement in the picture until at least 2018 to 2019 for these buses as BusHunter suggests. DE40LFs might have been relatively new to CTA but not to other TAs considering New Flyer started producing them in 2001. Don't let CTA being behind the times fool you into drawing too fast a conclusion about when something gets retired.

In regards to the Optimas the FTA service life might be longer, but if I remember correctly I think Busjack mentioned the funding source didn't include federal dollars so that probably is the main and real reason CTA can retire those so soon.

Medium duty buses such as the Optimas are designed for a minimum service life of 10 years. The six year standard, IINM, are for cutaway buses.