1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

I respect your response about it. I'm still trying to figure out the purple color scenario with the lighting of the rehabbed NFs. Vivid orange LED's? Sounds intriguing. I was thinking about #1272 with it's lighting was extraordinarily different from the other NFs between 1000-1629 because of the blue hue before the rehab. It think #1272's lighting is almost similar to #3295-96 if I'm not mistaking.

Actually #1272's light bar is flush with the interior advertising racks. I believe the same kind of lights are on the #4300's.

Is anyone keeping a list of which NFs have been rehabbed? It would be nice to see the different numbers from different garages in one place :)

I put a list up under the first post of this topic. I put in dates of rehab in parenthesis. I'll try to update this as new buses get rehabbed.

Medium duty buses such as the Optimas are designed for a minimum service life of 10 years. The six year standard, IINM, are for cutaway buses.

That's what I thought. So what I remember of what Busjack mentioned of funding sources gets more weight than i already suspected as CTA is pulling these out of revenue service before the 10-year mark.

I put a list up under the first post of this topic. I put in dates of rehab in parenthesis. I'll try to update this as new buses get rehabbed.

I just got one question. You have 1442 listed as rehabbed under Kedzie. When the Kedzie get that bus? I thought it was still at Chicago.

Medium duty buses such as the Optimas are designed for a minimum service life of 10 years. The six year standard, IINM, are for cutaway buses.

Look then up at the Altoona site, they were 12 year buses. We've gone through that too many times already. As was noted, it was state money that bought them.

I don't understand how, garmon757. The engine in 1478 has been rebuilt, not replaced. All they did was replace key components to lengthen the life expectancy of the motor. Basically they replace fuel lines, preheaters, emission and muffler systems, electrical components, brake lines, etc... It's still the same Cummins ISM that 1478 came in with. A Cummins ISL would be struggling to move the bus as efficiently as a Cummins ISM would, due to the framework of the bus. 1000-1629 are built on steel frames, which add more weight to the bus as a whole and require a engine with more HP to drive it. That's why New Flyer outfitted them with the Cummins ISM engines. When 1630-2029 were ordered, the CTA opted to use carbon frames as they are lighter and allow for a more fuel efficient engine to be used, that's where the Cummins ISL came in. All the current buses since 1630-2029 have been built using the carbon frames. The New Flyer XE40's will be using carbon frames and I'm sure the CTA told Nova Bus they want the LFS Smart Buses to be built using carbon frames, which will be more fuel efficient for the Cummins ISL9 this bus has for the ULSD(Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) model, which is what will be coming in 2014.

Cummins engines are very good engines to have. I mention #1478 sounding different because when I was riding #1442 a couple of days ago it sounded very different since they both have Cummins ISM7 engines with the same transmission. I'm not an expert in framworks but nice info about them. I really appreciate it.

Please allow me to clarify something im seeing on every other page .

cta Is treating every bus on a case by case basis. however 1000-1629 is scheduled for this rehab. 1630 -2035 (i've seen that bus in service in case u wanna question that fleet number ) is in current review but i doubt that series will need it right now.

now every bus probably goes through this checklist

Clever Device Screens (1190's throught 1300's had a stuck screen issue after u cut the bus off not all but some)

Rear Door interlock ( some buses had this issue when the back door is closing and it gets stuck and triggers the emergency door release switch or cutting the bus off and back on for a lazy operator).

Interior Lighting ( can elaborate much on this because CTA tends to experiment and put their experiments in the field and collect feedback?)

Drivers Seats (this constantly comes up from operators on every bus and train series ordered ) yet again another experiment

Transmissions/ Engines I believe that this is another bus by bus basis case to improve service life. it occures often i guess with out the rehabs

my facts came taking everybodys questions and asking every supervisor,operator,mechanic and one Bus Instructor that Chicago,77th(South Shops) and 103rd (thats where i got my transmission/engine answer from.

Please remember im not here to start a debate or argument but plainly state facts of knowledge

#go transit enthusiasts

Please allow me to clarify something im seeing on every other page .

Despite what you see on the street, there are separate contracts to Cummins N Power and New Flyer Industries Canada ULC to overhaul the buses. Press Release.

The Press Release said:

Cummins NPower was awarded two contracts not to exceed a combined value of $105.1 million for the rebuild of 629 buses. Overhaul work on the remaining 400 buses will be performed by New Flyer and is not to exceed $57.5 million.

But just before that:

Additionally, the contracts call for new and existing personnel at CTA’s South Shops heavy maintenance facility to handle components of the overhauls, including body repair and repainting and the installation of new energy-efficient LED lighting. (emphasis added)

Now, other than sw relying on the "gut rehab" in the Press Release, apparently nobody bothered to download the specs. Hence, there is no point in speculating about it now. But the Press Release does have the explanation of why the LED lighting isn't synced with the rest of the project.

It isn't synced? That would mean the buses would have be rehabbed twice, once cosmetically and once mechanically. I believe the buses are coming out now with full rehabs, (I guess the headlight rehab was cancelled). The only thing I question is if the buses are being rehabbed with two separate contracts, why was #1955 rehabbed? I think the contracts are running one after the other and it doesn't matter if they do the first 629 or not.

It isn't synced? That would mean the buses would have be rehabbed twice, once cosmetically and once mechanically. I believe the buses are coming out now with full rehabs, (I guess the headlight rehab was cancelled). The only thing I question is if the buses are being rehabbed with two separate contracts, why was #1955 rehabbed? I think the contracts are running one after the other and it doesn't matter if they do the first 629 or not.

Reread the Press Release. Unless CTA is engaged in its usual propaganda, and I'm not sure why they would be in this case, except for the "gut rehab" part, it is clear that Cummins NPower got contracts for 629 buses and New Flyer ULC for 400, but that's apparently for overhauls only, and South Shops got the rest of the work.

I thought it was similar to Chicago Bus & Truck rebuilding the 5800s (for a short service life, and if in fact that is what it was), but apparently it is not.

Apparently the 3200 L car rebuild isn't going to be much different; just because they will have electronic signs doesn't mean that the undercar work was done.

And, as for 1955, you'll have to go into the engine bay, as opposed to relying on cosmetics.

#1096 is now rehabbed. It was on the #152 last night, but it's not showing up on the the tracker. Before I had mentioned #1097 as being having the LED interior lights installed post rehab. That was incorrect, #1097 got the complete rehab done as one project (got my buses confused) #1197 has the new seat inserts, updated Clever Devices but no LED interior lights. I'll note that on the first page. So it's #1197 that's still incomplete.

I put #1026 from 103rd, #1278 from Kedzie, and #1286 from 77th on the list they are all rehabbed now. I'll add #1630 to the list. They took the wrap off #1955 yesterday and now it's lighting is very white. It actually looks weird seeing it like that.

If #1955 lighting is that white then I'm assume the the Cta can kiss the dark blue/purpleish hue goodbye for the NF's1630-2029.

I'm not sure if this bus has been mentioned but I think 1161 can be added to the rehabbed list. I rode it this morning on the 9 Ashland. It had the new fixtures inside. They didn't have the purplish tint at the ends that were mentioned in other posts, but I could still see that they were new from the coiled appearance of the fixtures underneath the light panels. The bus also has the updated Clever Device unit, updated ADA front seating and the ISM engine had the slightly quieter growl of the Cummins ISM engines inside the 1430s though you could tell the transmission was still a ZF 6HP592C that we know to be in buses 1000-1429..