1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

I want to say #1060 is rehabbed, saw it on the #53 the other day. Could've swore it said it was going to Erie. Checked the tracker, two buses appeared #1876 and #1060, but both buses were going to 31st, so it's either that or a ghost bus. I need visual confirmation on that one.

I want to say #1060 is rehabbed, saw it on the #53 the other day. Could've swore it said it was going to Erie. Checked the tracker, two buses appeared #1876 and #1060, but both buses were going to 31st, so it's either that or a ghost bus. I need visual confirmation on that one.

Erie is the pull in to the Chicago Ave Garage for the 53 Pulaski.

Recently was on 6462 - it has seats like the 4150-4207 artics - black with aluminum frames. Was this some sort of "trial rehab"?

That bus has had those seats for a good number of years, probably came with them since rolling out of the production plant. Some other Novas also had overhead luggage racks in certain parts of the bus, but don't know if they still exist (I remember 6618 having them when they were still at Archer).

As for rehab I don't believe the Novas as a whole were part of any rehab at all, aside from 1 or 2 internal LED lights test and a couple different external destination signs tests (seen in the photo gallery of this forum).

If anything, after searching through the entire forum for the above answers :), it almost appears that the CTA wanted to use the Novas as lab rats to test all of the above new changes before considering them in future bus orders (and perhaps future rail orders).

Hope this helps, don't want to get too off-topic.

That bus has had those seats for a good number of years, probably came with them since rolling out of the production plant. Some other Novas also had overhead luggage racks in certain parts of the bus, but don't know if they still exist (I remember 6618 having them when they were still at Archer).

As for rehab I don't believe the Novas as a whole were part of any rehab at all, aside from 1 or 2 internal LED lights test and a couple different external destination signs tests (seen in the photo gallery of this forum).

If anything, after searching through the entire forum for the above answers :), it almost appears that the CTA wanted to use the Novas as lab rats to test all of the above new changes before considering them in future bus orders (and perhaps future rail orders).

Hope this helps, don't want to get too off-topic.

The test seat Nova buses were retrofitted with those seats. All buses originally came with the original seats. I want to say it was a test for the influx of new seating that appeared on the lower #1300's - #2029. I guess they didn't like either seat, but #4155 also is a test seat bus. I believe somewhere Kevin describes them in more detail. (maybe under the bus photos or in the forum)

As far as other Nova tests, let's not forget the removal of seats in #6552 or 1, which I believe are missing the seats to this day. I was surprised to discover the MAX capacity cars (#3321-24) on the Brown line still have there seats gone also. It was only supposed to be four cars right? Well if you ride #3325-28 you may be surprised to learn they are MAX cars too.

Thanks for the correction; I wasn't aware of those finer details. I have ridden 6552 a good handful of times, but was even unaware it was missing a seat or two. I do remember some Novas also being a test for the now unpopular "bowling alley" style seating in the 5000 series railcars, but do not remember specific bus numbers.

Thanks for the correction; I wasn't aware of those finer details. I have ridden 6552 a good handful of times, but was even unaware it was missing a seat or two. I do remember some Novas also being a test for the now unpopular "bowling alley" style seating in the 5000 series railcars, but do not remember specific bus numbers.

I believe 74th's 6618 has bowling alley style seating that it's had sense its days being assigned at Archer.

Edit: Edited typo. Should have been "its" not "it's".

Edited by jajuan

#1234 is rehabbed on the #56. It has a red watch your step sticker on the back stairs. I could have swore the old ones were yellow.

Actually i think white with yellow bordering. Just as with the newer decals that warn against right turns in front of the bus from a lane to the bus's left side, some of these new stickers have also been popping up on a few buses with no rehabs done on them.

Actually i think white with yellow bordering. Just as with the newer decals that warn against right turns in front of the bus from a lane to the bus's left side, some of these new stickers have also been popping up on a few buses with no rehabs done on them.

It's a sticker rehab.... :lol:

Spotted rehabbed #1158 on #44 @ 76th/Racine and #1558 on #49 @ 69th/Western this morning. A shot of #1961 on #79 after boarding on @ 79th/Wentworth. The lights are replaced with LEDs but it's not fully rehabbed (Why???).

The picture is inconclusive(at least from my eyes), but #1961 has always had LED lighting(it was bluish when I saw this bus out of NP years ago).

Only conclusion I can infer from the picture is that it isn't due for a full rehab yet, as evidenced by the older Clever Device unit, and the older "Watch Your Step" sticker. This is one of the Allison Transmission series buses. They'll probably get the rehabs last with the exception of #1955, which might've been just a random bus picked and done by 77th. They are all over the place with the rehabs at all garages. Maybe the Garage Supervisor has a top hat or Bingo roller on their desk with all their New Flyer D40LF bus numbers on papers on the inside and they randomly pick numbers to get rehabbed next.

• Upvote 3

The picture is inconclusive(at least from my eyes), but #1961 has always had LED lighting(it was bluish when I saw this bus out of NP years ago).

Only conclusion I can infer from the picture is that it isn't due for a full rehab yet, as evidenced by the older Clever Device unit, and the older "Watch Your Step" sticker. This is one of the Allison Transmission series buses. They'll probably get the rehabs last with the exception of #1955, which might've been just a random bus picked and done by 77th. They are all over the place with the rehabs at all garages. Maybe the Garage Supervisor has a top hat or Bingo roller on their desk with all their New Flyer D40LF bus numbers on papers on the inside and they randomly pick numbers to get rehabbed next.

Lol oh wow! You may have a valid point indeed but it's very rare so far to have an Allison NF that bright though. I had my hopes up by waiting 40 minutes for it to come back by 77th Garage after I thought it was rehabbed due to the "transitchicago.com" on each side of the bus. I got duped lol!
  • Upvote 1

Lol oh wow! You may have a valid point indeed but it's very rare so far to have an Allison NF that bright though. I had my hopes up by waiting 40 minutes for it to come back by 77th Garage after I thought it was rehabbed due to the "transitchicago.com" on each side of the bus. I got duped lol!

That bus has always had the web address on the sides. BTW, I was on rehabbed 1086 on #56 the other day.

That bus has always had the web address on the sides. BTW, I was on rehabbed 1086 on #56 the other day.

Pay attention though because there's a difference. There are some NF's with the web address without "www.". Most of the rehabbed ones have the web address like this, "transitchicago.com" not "www.transitchicago.com".

• Upvote 2