Return of the 11 & 31 Bus

sw4400

27 minutes ago, Fails the Turing Test said:

Wow, the schedule brochure for the 31 bus has an awful lot of errors in it.

• The map has arrows in the wrong direction on Wentworth and LaSalle.
  • The map does not indicate the direction of north.
  • Lock should be 1400 W.
  • The schedule has the route starting/ending at "Ashland Orangle Line".

Probably done by a CPS graduate,but if it says when every half hour it goes by a stop, what real difference does it make?

5 hours ago, Fails the Turing Test said:

Wow, the schedule brochure for the 31 bus has an awful lot of errors in it.

• The map has arrows in the wrong direction on Wentworth and LaSalle.
  • The map does not indicate the direction of north.
  • Lock should be 1400 W.
  • The schedule has the route starting/ending at "Ashland Orangle Line".

You are correct on all except one, that Lock is actually on 1500 W.

2 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

You are correct on all except one, that Lock is actually on 1500 W.

Alright, I'll give 'em that one, since apparently that's what the street signs at Archer/Lock say (according to Google Street View). I still say that, from a map, it looks like Lock hits Archer around 1400 W (it's about equidistant from Ashland and Racine) and 31st around 1320 W or so.

I don't care so much about the other errors¹, except Orangle Line. That one really amused me for some reason. Reminded me of the (somewhat infamous, being on a plastic train car map as it was) Bemont error from eight-ish years ago, or a paper Customer Alert that referenced 95/Ran Ryan from around the same time.

¹ "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do"

2 hours ago, Fails the Turing Test said:

Alright, I'll give 'em that one, since apparently that's what the street signs at Archer/Lock say (according to Google Street View). I still say that, from a map, it looks like Lock hits Archer around 1400 W (it's about equidistant from Ashland and Racine) and 31st around 1320 W or so.

I don't care so much about the other errors¹, except Orangle Line. That one really amused me for some reason. Reminded me of the (somewhat infamous, being on a plastic train car map as it was) Bemont error from eight-ish years ago, or a paper Customer Alert that referenced 95/Ran Ryan from around the same time.

¹ "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do"

Actually, make that two. Lock being at 1500 West, and the Orange Line. CTA specifically announced the bus runs between Ashland Orange Line and King Drive. So the 31st bus does begin and end trips at the Orange Line.

22 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Actually, make that two. Lock being at 1500 West, and the Orange Line. CTA specifically announced the bus runs between Ashland Orange Line and King Drive. So the 31st bus does begin and end trips at the Orange Line.

Only issue was the spelling of Orange. Bus on TV news had 31 ASHLAND ORG LINE, which eliminates the letter "L" error.

9 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

I rode the #31 from the Sox/35 Red Line station to 31st and King Dr. today.

I wonder how CTA decided to operate the bus from 77th Garage.

Well 77th is like 2-4 blocks away for the expressway and I believe 31st bus has two buses, and each one going in each direction that start at like 9:45am as well as two last run buses at 7:30pm each of them start/end at 35th Red Line. Like once your at 35th, you just enter the expressway going south, exit at 79th, go west on 79th to Wentworth and garage is right there. Bit more of a straightforward trip to/from 77th than if they decide for 31st to be operated by like Kedzie, which most people originally thought Kedzie was going to be the operating garage. 

8 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

I rode the #31 from the Sox/35 Red Line station to 31st and King Dr. today.

I wonder how CTA decided to operate the bus from 77th Garage.

8 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Well 77th is like 2-4 blocks away for the expressway and I believe 31st bus has two buses, and each one going in each direction that start at like 9:45am as well as two last run buses at 7:30pm each of them start/end at 35th Red Line. Like once your at 35th, you just enter the expressway going south, exit at 79th, go west on 79th to Wentworth and garage is right there. Bit more of a straightforward trip to/from 77th than if they decide for 31st to be operated by like Kedzie, which most people originally thought Kedzie was going to be the operating garage. 

Besides that, it was previously noted that they can do street reliefs at the 35 Red Line station, like they can do at 47 for 43 and 51.

Also, unlike 35, 31 does not intersect Kedzie Ave.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

There's a Mexican restaurant near 31st and Loomis that is pretty good. 

Must be west of "4."

Grocer at Ashland/Archer must be Mariano's, which, like the 11 poster, indicates that the target audience is not low income (although a reopened Dominick's).

18 hours ago, Busjack said:

Must be west of "4."

Grocer at Ashland/Archer must be Mariano's, which, like the 11 poster, indicates that the target audience is not low income (although a reopened Dominick's).

There are two other grocers along the route (Cermak, at 3; and Jewel, at 10), so it's interesting that Mariano's is the one they chose. 4 is probably Pancho Pistolas (at Union), which is pretty good but not amazing or anything. There's also a new Indian restaurant going in at Princeton, which apparently (according to their Facebook page) is opening today.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I take it that the current route operating via Locke to Archer instead of along Pitney to Archer as the original route did is because Locke is wider and therefore more easily able to handle buses along the roadway.

Actually there is no left turn allowed from NB Pitney to SB Archer.   That's why the 31 operates on Locke to Archer. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Actually there is no left turn allowed from NB Pitney to SB Archer.   That's why the 31 operates on Locke to Archer. 

Ah so it's because they changed the traffic rules at the Pitney/Archer intersection in the years since the 31 last operated. Thanks for the info.

24 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Ah so it's because they changed the traffic rules at the Pitney/Archer intersection in the years since the 31 last operated. Thanks for the info.

Anytime.   There's a right turn only sign there

Back in the day,  there was a bridge that carried Archer over Ashland with a local lane for Ashland traffic.  Therefore there was little traffic to contend with.   Since the Ashland / Archer intersection was redone with the elimination of the bridge,  there's in increased in traffic , making that turn risky.   At least there is a light at Locke. 

On 9/20/2016 at 6:41 PM, artthouwill said:

Anytime.   There's a right turn only sign there

Back in the day,  there was a bridge that carried Archer over Ashland with a local lane for Ashland traffic.  Therefore there was little traffic to contend with.   Since the Ashland / Archer intersection was redone with the elimination of the bridge,  there's in increased in traffic , making that turn risky.   At least there is a light at Locke. 

You know, I had forgotten about the bridge that carried Archer over Ashland. As we know, the city has been backing away from those types of bridges and opting for more traditional style intersection configurations. 

6 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

You're right.   I think the last of the bridges is on Western and its coming down. 

Yeah I was going to mention that the former one that carried Western over Belmont was the last one, but I wasn't quite sure if it was the last one. The previous one they demolished before that was the one that took Ashland over Pershing Road, which they reconfigured to a standard intersection about a year or two ago.