Return of the 11 & 31 Bus

sw4400

53 minutes ago, jajuan said:

than it would north side riders or those from Evanston, Skokie and Wilmette when looking mainly at foks using just the CTA to get there, which I think may have been the point you were looking to get to and make.

They can take a 76 Nature Museum bus from Diversey station.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fullerton5000 said:

Sad it came to that, but the limited hours (M-F; 10a-7p) helped bring about its downfall. Even if the extension was aimed at seniors with midday shopping and appointments, it would've done better if it had been designed for all of the neighborhoods along the line, even and especially rush hour/weekend users.

Well the 31 had the same pilot formula so it really came down to who would use the service.

Unfortunately for the 11, the market had changed in a way that people adapted to other modes of travel.

Marketing was another problem, which could have been marketed as the LincolnLine or the BrownLink to attract Brown Line commuters to another way of commuting through the corridor.

Farewell Route 11 extension

8 hours ago, Fullerton5000 said:

Sad it came to that, but the limited hours (M-F; 10a-7p) helped bring about its downfall. Even if the extension was aimed at seniors with midday shopping and appointments, it would've done better if it had been designed for all of the neighborhoods along the line, even and especially rush hour/weekend users.

5 hours ago, Juniorz said:

Marketing was another problem, which could have been marketed as the LincolnLine or the BrownLink to attract Brown Line commuters to another way of commuting through the corridor.

It has been said many times before that none of this was going to happen. Again @Fullerton5000, if it needed 1500 to meet average productivity per service hour and only got 500, how would it get 1900 to cover the additional service hours? Were an average of 1400 going to ride between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m.? Which gets to @Juniorz's point--it was never intended to compete with the Brown Line--the most efficient way to get commuters downtown is the Brown Line. Since about 1998, Archer buses were cut back, even though there was crying from Bill Lipinski (who headed the House Transportation Committee, and thus had clout) that seniors would be hurt. You don't see anyone promoting the Milwaukee bus as the BlueFlash, for instance, but it has now 8500 riders a weekday (about 10,800 in 2011), even though it is entirely parallel to the Blue Line. The real problem, which I guess Claypool couldn't admit, was that 11 was about 8000 short of that.

14 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

I bet it wouldn't fail you if Chicago Garage would've helped out, especially during rush hour s and weekends. The interlining would've been perfect with #37 at Fullerton but I guess they couldn't afford it. 

They were originally interlined because NP had 37. C make more sense for 37.However, since either version of 11 ended near NP, no sense assigning it to C.

This sort of brings up, and the prior comments certainly do, that the Crowd Reduction Program was correct in saying scarce resources have to be allocated where there is demand. CTA did it in a way that ignored the concerns of this neighborhood, but as a general principle, has to do it. By the same token, I haven't heard anyone south of 79th and Pulaski that they are losing half their service, but either they haven't studied the schedule or the demand is not there either.

Really, the only relevance of what garage gets the work is resources wasted on the deadhead vs. storage capacity.

On 8/16/2017 at 7:43 PM, Busjack said:

They can take a 76 Nature Museum bus from Diversey station.

I ride the Red Line so much more often than the Brown Line when I want to hop a train into downtown instead of 147 (or some other North Lake Shore express bus), that I totally forgot about that connection.

On 9/1/2017 at 4:14 PM, Busjack said:

They were originally interlined because NP had 37. C make more sense for 37.However, since either version of 11 ended near NP, no sense assigning it to C.

This sort of brings up, and the prior comments certainly do, that the Crowd Reduction Program was correct in saying scarce resources have to be allocated where there is demand. CTA did it in a way that ignored the concerns of this neighborhood, but as a general principle, has to do it. By the same token, I haven't heard anyone south of 79th and Pulaski that they are losing half their service, but either they haven't studied the schedule or the demand is not there either.

Really, the only relevance of what garage gets the work is resources wasted on the deadhead vs. storage capacity.

Fair enough.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, stormgasherc said:

not me... I ride this bus route daily and haven't heard of any new updates

The Ridership Reports show an average weekday of abou5 280-500), and year to date totals of about 10,000 per month (71,526 through July 2017), which would be an average of 461 per weekday. IIRC, about 800 is needed.

Of course, that's 4 or 5 months behind.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

How long does an experiment  last?   

6 months. Press releases indicate the original pilot on 8/31/2016, with extensions on. 3/8/2017 and 7/12/2017.

On the other hand, the last extension on 11 was cut short.

25 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

One would think after 18 months, they could decide whether to make permanent, cut, or tweak the experiment.

Either they think they are close to the standard, or Patrick Daley Thompson put the arm on them.

Maybe there will be an explanation if one sits in on tomorrow's meeting video.

At the very least, the 31 showed more potential to grow than the 11 did. So it's not as easily seen a waste of money as with the 11 when it was pretty clear to us that the 11 just wasn't going to pick up and they were only postponing the inevitable. 

8 minutes ago, stormgasherc said:

Is CTA gonna add more bus stops on 31 when they decided to extend the pilot/make the route permanent  
Ex: Princeton or Indiana 

The issue raised when this experiment was started 1-1/2 years ago is that CTA had to clear the bus stop locations with the alderman before starting the pilot. So, you should ask him. But maybe one of the stops you mention is in the 3rd Ward.

12 minutes ago, stormgasherc said:

It has been a year and a couple of months and we still haven't reached the goal?

The press release to which you linked said what the current ridership is and what the goal is. The difference from 11 is that 11 was flat at 500 riders when it needed 1500; here 31 seems to be gaining ridership if the current ridership is 674, so they are getting close and willing to give it some more time.

6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The press release to which you linked said what the current ridership is and what the goal is. The difference from 11 is that 11 was flat at 500 riders when it needed 1500; here 31 seems to be gaining ridership if the current ridership is 674, so they are getting close and willing to give it some more time.

still...they could've done more to promote rider by extending the time and weekend with this extension. 

(This is just my opinion)

41 minutes ago, stormgasherc said:

still...they could've done more to promote rider by extending the time and weekend with this extension. 

(This is just my opinion)

And that has been discussed many times before with respect to 11. If the service hours go up, and the same productivity is required, the goal goes up, too. In the case of 11, CTA said that if a.m. rush were added, the goal would have gone up from 1500 to 1900. If they extended 31 to weekends, it would need 830 riders each Saturday and Sunday.

In short, the only response is whether you have done better customer research than CTA has.Extending the hours does not "promote" the route, but increases costs. One would have to demonstrate that there is enough demand to support the increased costs.