sw4400

Return of the 11 & 31 Bus

31st is what could be best compared to a small-town bus route. Basically the same people ride it most days, and considering the service hours (no AM rush), and the area's demographics and character, most are probably elderly doing their daily errands. Given the alternative is walking, it is bound to do reasonably well. Time to make this "permanent". 

There is a fair amount of student traffic to IIT. I use the Bridgeport end of the line, and it seems to pick up students in the neighborhood as well as from the Orange Line. 

I would imagine it gets a few students from the towers on the east end of the line too. 

15 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

There is a fair amount of student traffic to IIT. I use the Bridgeport end of the line, and it seems to pick up students in the neighborhood as well as from the Orange Line. 

I would imagine it gets a few students from the towers on the east end of the line too. 

That really is the question on whether the marketing is properly directed. Office workers don't seem to be the market, which is where most traditional transit was focused.

The 31st flyer implied that there was a market for IIT, under 8, Study hard. The rest seems a bit unfocused, except perhaps for Mariano's on either end.

By comparison, the Lincoln marketing materials indicated that CTA thought the marginal rider (where they were going to get the 1000 riders per day they didn't get) were going to the spa, Trader Joes, the bike shop etc., essentially whatever the current term is for yuppies. Didn't work.

But this was the distinction I was trying to make in reply to @stormgasherc. Promotion isn't generating more costs; demand has to be identified through market research. Errands may be one market, IIT students appear to be another. They aren't relying on people going to Sox Park in this weather.

2 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I took the 31 bus on the east end of the line and there are plenty of IIT students and Dunbar High School students too. There are also seniors who take this line too.  

The 1/10/2018 board meeting video states (~10-11 minute mark) :

Target - 830 rides per day

Avg. 526 daily rides from Oct 2016 to Nov 2017

Avg. 674 rides in Nov 2017

Avg. daily ridership is 284 during IIT breaks.

Pilot extension cost is $125,000, half of which is from a federal grant.

13 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Avg. 674 rides in Nov 2017

Avg. daily ridership is 284 during IIT breaks.

Statistic demonstrates that you and @stormgasherc were correct that the major passenger traffic generator is IIT, not "the elderly doing their errands," the latter being similar to those who said that the sheltered workshop would sustain 11.

To get back to @stormgasherc's point on promotion, the next consumer research that should be done by CTA is whether the service hours conform to demand at IIT, such as whether there are students in Bridgeport who have to get to 8 a.m. class, or is it mostly a dorm population that is going for lunch.

13 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Pilot extension cost is $125,000, half of which is from a federal grant.

Shows that CTA was able to come up with the match for JARC-NF on this route.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:45 AM, Busjack said:

Statistic demonstrates that you and @stormgasherc were correct that the major passenger traffic generator is IIT, not "the elderly doing their errands," the latter being similar to those who said that the sheltered workshop would sustain 11.

To get back to @stormgasherc's point on promotion, the next consumer research that should be done by CTA is whether the service hours conform to demand at IIT, such as whether there are students in Bridgeport who have to get to 8 a.m. class, or is it mostly a dorm population that is going for lunch.

Shows that CTA was able to come up with the match for JARC-NF on this route.

Yes I agree. It shows that IIT is indeed the traffic generator. It also confirms that even though it's coming slowly the route has been showing credible potential to make its stated goal versus the 11 consistently remaining flat at each extension of the trial there. So yeah a credible next step for CTA would be looking toward whether the route is tailored enough toward demand on the IIT side of things now that it's confirmed that the primary traffic generator is IIT.