Return of the 11 & 31 Bus

sw4400

7 hours ago, Busjack said:

Agenda item for 6th experiment on 31.

I guess we will be able to go to the board video to see how they justify it.

It was. Basically, they didn't want to pull the rug under it while Ald. Thompson is looking for other support, but no change in service hours. Someone asked if they would pilot additional service, to which the response was that there would need to be a means of supporting it.

When I read that the #31 trial was extended I decided to take this selfie at the 31st and King Dr stop. :D

BTW, I live in Joe Moore's ward[49] and my church (behind me in the photo) is in Sophia King's ward[4] (no relation),

The bus was under fire from Pat Dowel [3rd ward] but got a reprieve at Patrick Thompson's [11th ward] urging. :O

Peace!

IMG_3010.jpg

• 5 months later...

In general i'm dissapointed with how the 11 went. First of all it didn't run during morning RUSH HOUR and it didn't run on the weekend. I know it paralleled the Brown Line a bit but that's minor compared to the 56, 21, or 24. it also should have accessed southeast Lincoln Park via Lincoln, Clark, and the turnaround that the 73 makes. The main problem was the schedule Lincoln has a lot of Restaurants that would be at highest demand on the weekend when there was no service. Personally I know every route in the CTA but if i didn't i would wan't to find 1 commute that would work in morning and evening rush the 11 didn't work for that. The pilot schedule for the 11 and 31 is severely flawed the 11 pilot should be tried again with an improved schedule and maybe the route extention i suggested earlier.

1 hour ago, XE NewFlyer said:

In general i'm dissapointed with how the 11 went. First of all it didn't run during morning RUSH HOUR and it didn't run on the weekend. I know it paralleled the Brown Line a bit but that's minor compared to the 56, 21, or 24. it also should have accessed southeast Lincoln Park via Lincoln, Clark, and the turnaround that the 73 makes. The main problem was the schedule Lincoln has a lot of Restaurants that would be at highest demand on the weekend when there was no service. Personally I know every route in the CTA but if i didn't i would wan't to find 1 commute that would work in morning and evening rush the 11 didn't work for that. The pilot schedule for the 11 and 31 is severely flawed the 11 pilot should be tried again with an improved schedule and maybe the route extention i suggested earlier.

I've always thought the 11 & 31 pilots were set up to fail with the schedules they were given. What should've happened is:

• The 11 should've run from 7a-8p M-F and 9a-7p Sat
    • Howard/McCormick to Congress Plaza M-F
    • Howard/McCormick to Fullerton R/P/B
  • The 31 should've run at the same time as above, with no weekend service
    • 31st/Komensky, 31st/Lawndale or 35th/Archer Orange to Mercy Hospital or 33rd/Rhodes

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I've always thought the 11 & 31 pilots were set up to fail with the schedules they were given. What should've happened is:

• The 11 should've run from 7a-8p M-F and 9a-7p Sat
    • Howard/McCormick to Congress Plaza M-F
    • Howard/McCormick to Fullerton R/P/B
  • The 31 should've run at the same time as above, with no weekend service
    • 31st/Komensky, 31st/Lawndale or 35th/Archer Orange to Mercy Hospital or 33rd/Rhodes

I agree for the new routing the exact streets should go something like this.

11: Lincoln, Clark, LaSalle, LSD, Michigan, Congress Plaza.

31: 31st, Archer, 33rd, Western Ave, 31st, Pulaski.

21 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

Wouldn't the 11 mirror the 22  once it reaches Clark though and why would it head on LSD,Michigan and end in Congress Plaza? Also the 31 would nearly mirror the 35 up until Pulaski which doesn't make much sense, Also having it run down 33rd would be a tight fit in that area.

2 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Wouldn't the 11 mirror the 22  once it reaches Clark though and why would it head on LSD,Michigan and end in Congress Plaza? Also the 31 would nearly mirror the 35 up until Pulaski which doesn't make much sense, Also having it run down 33rd would be a tight fit in that area.

The routing for the 11 was to remain the same, except once at Adams/Jackson, it would head east to Congress Plaza instead of Clinton blue line. The 31 would've been as follows, heading EB, starting at 32nd/Lawndale:

• 32nd, Central Park, 31st St, Western Ave, 33rd, (if going to 35th/Archer, 35th, Orange Line, Archer) Archer, Lock, 31st, Wentworth/LaSalle, 35th, State, 31st, King Drive, 26th (prairie ave turnaround if the hospital would allow), Michigan, 25th, King Dr, repeat.

The section of 33rd is wider than Lunt and about as wide as Fullerton is just west of the station, so I figured it was good enough. If not, there was the 35th/Archer option. Alternatively, I recognize the west 31st section is a bit duplicative, so it could also go via 33rd & Western to 35th/Archer and end there. Have SB/WB 62 stop curbside and there is a space for the 31, if sharing with the 35 or 39 is too much.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Watching the CTA board meeting on YouTube and they are saying they wanna add AM rush service on the 31 31st bus starting next month until June 2020

This is what the route needed in order to sustain itself in the longer term. Instead of running only midday through early evening, it makes that route a truly weekday daytime operation. Still no later evening or weekend service yet, but such service might come when the ridership justifies it.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

This is what the route needed in order to sustain itself in the longer term. Instead of running only midday through early evening, it makes that route a truly weekday daytime operation. Still no later evening or weekend service yet, but such service might come when the ridership justifies it.

They also wanna make it later service (weekdays) beginning in September 

10 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Watching the CTA board meeting on YouTube and they are saying they wanna add AM rush service on the 31 31st bus starting next month until June 2020

Are you serious? Is this true? Because this is exactly what they should’ve done a long time ago. I believe the #31 bus starting at an earlier time than what it’s currently has will help improve ridership. Perhaps start somewhere between 5:30am & 6am, so people that live along the 31st street will earlier bus service to get to work, or to school, etc. Have the bus frequency runs for every 20 minutes during rush hour, and continue with 30 minutes during midday. They should do this for the next year before deciding to add any other changes. But I believe starting before 10am will have a positive impact on this route! ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/8/2019 at 9:58 AM, RJL6000 said:

Of course this same energy of earlier AM service could have kept the 11 Lincoln bus running and going to North/Clark instead of Fullerton Station serving Lincoln Park Zoo.