Return of the 11 & 31 Bus

sw4400

21 hours ago, Busjack said:

Sun-Times article that the CT Board got some protest to the terms of the 31 experiment, and that Carter said he would tweak service "after it gets up and running."

The pilot hasn't even started yet! I understand the concerns, but not a single rubber tire has hit the pavement yet. The good news is that Mr. Carter is watching both pilots closely and that he will maintain existing service throughout the system as a whole.

Give the 180 day experiments a try first before jumping into conclusions that are (at least for now) assumptions.

1 hour ago, Juniorz said:

The pilot hasn't even started yet! I understand the concerns, but not a single rubber tire has hit the pavement yet. The good news is that Mr. Carter is watching both pilots closely and that he will maintain existing service throughout the system as a whole.

Give the 180 day experiments a try first before jumping into conclusions that are (at least for now) assumptions.

I understand the concern.   CTA has the reputation of doominus service and then justify the cut.   Perhaps the feeling is that CTA really doesn't want to run service on that route.  

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I understand the concern.   CTA has the reputation of doominus service and then justify the cut.   Perhaps the feeling is that CTA really doesn't want to run service on that route.  

That would seem obvious from all the resistance CTA showed  until Carter decided to do the experiment. I wouldn't presume CTA intends the experiments to fail, but I don't know what customer research CTA did before instituting what it did.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I'm just glad the brass is giving it a shot period and it doesn't hurt that you have someone within the industry that is willing to see the pilots from both sides. 

As noted before, I'll bet my coins on route 11 before route 31, which would be a shocker to stay permanent considering it's performance in it's last configuration almost 20 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

What if the 31st St route was extended to serve 26th St from 26th and King Drive to Halsted Orange Line via 31st, King Drive, 26th, State, Cermak, Wentworth, 26th, Halsted and Archer, serving Mercy Hospital, Green and Red lines, Chinatown and N.Bridgeport to the Orange line. It would be something to look at down the line since CTA President Carter was open to tweak the service and I'm sure it possible ridership is on 26th St going to Red and Green and near McCormick Place and Mercy Hospital. 

23 hours ago, Busjack said:

21 already has.

I was referring to service along 26th St from King Drive to Halsted with service to/from the Red/Green lines if 31st route is successful or the 26th St portion would make it more appealing and improve running times to 15-20 minutes...down the line of course.  

Again guys, the start date delay was not all on the CTA this time. The delay came because the alderman down there, Patrick Daley Thompson, didn't come to agreement with CTA about bus stop placement in time for the route to start route in the summer pick as the 11 was. So it's coming in the fall pick instead. Remember from what got explained to us a few months ago by I believe it was Andre, that when CTA introduces a new route, extends one or permanently reroutes one, that means they may have to change parking along the route's affected area to make room for bus stops. In the case of near side bus stops at intersections, they also have to determine how best to place those as well as how many to use to not only properly calibrate bus traffic flow but also to minimize the buses' impact on the rest of the traffic on the road. That means they have to negotiate with the alderman of affected areas to compromise how best to fit those stops. In short, CTA can't plop its bus stops anywhere it wants. It has to be negotiated with city officials the same way that Andre also explained that they have to negotiate with the city which streets its buses can run.

• Upvote 4

Also remember they have the parking meter outfit to deal with. The deal Daley cut was that if a metered spot is removed for any reason, even temporarily, the city has to essentially pay Laz as if a car had been parked there at all times that paying is required. Nice deal, huh? So they have to juggle things around so that the number of paid parking spaces taken up by bus stops are replaced by new paid parking spaces somewhere else. Apparently not even nearby, just somewhere.

• Upvote 2

Here's a follow up question that maybe Andre might answer:

Is the #31 likely to go into the Lake Meadows Shopping Center property at 33rd Place so that the buses might turn around and head back eastward on 33rd Place?

<rant> i appreciate bike paths and the desire to ride one's bike to the 31st street beach/marina. However, the return of this route is a good reason to NOT have a bike lane on 31st street. <end of rant>

3 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Here's a follow up question that maybe Andre might answer:

Is the #31 likely to go into the Lake Meadows Shopping Center property at 33rd Place so that the buses might turn around and head back eastward on 33rd Place?

<rant> i appreciate bike paths and the desire to ride one's bike to the 31st street beach/marina. However, the return of this route is a good reason to NOT have a bike lane on 31st street. <end of rant>

I don't think traffic is that heavy for the bike lane to really affect 31st St traffic 

8 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

When I got there Sunday morning the sign was up

I'm surprised there isn't a notice on the pole saying "Effective Sept. 5." Sign is not effective for another 3 weeks.

8 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

CTA 31 page has as map.

pilot31.pngEmbedded from the above source.

It also occurs to me that they will have to make room in the bus terminal again at the Ashland Orange Line station  for the 31 again when they gave its bus bay to NB Ashland buses after the NB buses began entering the terminal just like the SB buses had been since day one of the Orange Line. It's not impossible to do, but it will still be interesting to see how CTA works it out given the overall layout of the bus terminal. 

• Upvote 3